Concept Albums - Form of Greater Art

Truman82

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2011
Hi,

Vote for your concept album you like it the most.

Savatage
Queensryche
Dream theatar and many others are in the game

best Concept albums

Everyone can submit article, note or a list and point his favorite band and album.

Yes-Tales From Topographic Oceans
Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse
Insomnium-The Day It All Came Down
Iced Earth-Night of the Stormrider
Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Gathering-How To Measure a Planet
Shadow Gallery-Tyranny, Room V
Edge of Sanity-Crimson

The Gathering-How To Measure a Planet
Shadow Gallery-Tyranny, Room V

yes this albums are good ....

I wonder if Shadow Gallery will ever tour.....don't think they'll ever come to Florida.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
King Diamond - Abigail and Them
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Perhaps I should've wrote "in comparison to 'normal' albums".

Yes, a concept album done right is a really rewarding experience... but I see no greater inherent worth in a well-done concept album, than with a well-done album in general.

Amorphis - Tales
Moonsorrow - VKKM
Moonsorrow - V Hävitetty
Townsend - Ziltoid

Cant think of other concept albums atm

Perhaps I should've wrote "in comparison to 'normal' albums".

Yes, a concept album done right is a really rewarding experience... but I see no greater inherent worth in a well-done concept album, than with a well-done album in general.

On concept albums there can be a whole story told through music and theres a lot more depth and meaning to the album than on a regular album. A great example would be the new Moonsorrow album, theres the post apocalyptic theme on it and the music tries to really create that feeling and atmosphere. Theres a whole story on the album too that tells about a group of survivors that have to move out of their town because it was inhabitable. Each song tells some part of the story and has also other meanings, like Muinaiset tells about how the group who survived the apocalypse is trying to settle in the woods, and it also tells about the ancient powers of nature and how they're taking over the world after humanitys gone. A regular album is just filled with songs that arent connected in any way. They dont tell a story or have a bigger meaning as a whole.

I agree though that there isnt a lot of difference on a more loose concept album (Which maybe just has a certain theme and doesnt tell a story or anything) and a regular album.

On concept albums there can be a whole story told through music and theres a lot more depth and meaning to the album than on a regular album. A great example would be the new Moonsorrow album, theres the post apocalyptic theme on it and the music tries to really create that feeling and atmosphere. Theres a whole story on the album too that tells about a group of survivors that have to move out of their town because it was inhabitable. Each song tells some part of the story and has also other meanings, like Muinaiset tells about how the group who survived the apocalypse is trying to settle in the woods, and it also tells about the ancient powers of nature and how they're taking over the world after humanitys gone. A regular album is just filled with songs that arent connected in any way. They dont tell a story or have a bigger meaning as a whole.

I agree though that there isnt a lot of difference on a more loose concept album (Which maybe just has a certain theme and doesnt tell a story or anything) and a regular album.

I know what a concept album is, I know they are meant to tell a story. Save it for somebody with a single-digit IQ.

But that doesn't change a fact that from an artistic standpoint, a concept album isn't of any more inherent worth than a regular album; and I honestly can't believe that you actually implied that albums containing collections of songs lack "a bigger meaning as a whole", just because their lyrics aren't "linked" with some retarded, inane, unified storyline. What idiocy.

I don't think concept albums are inherently greater than standard albums nor do I think they have more depth/meaning.

I would actually argue that lyrically, there is usually less depth/meaning because the concept is usually further from the heart of the artist/band. Sometimes the lyrics of concept albums are written in a very contrived manner where the writer is trying too hard to fit too much info into the lyrics. And on a personal note I don't really like it when lyrics are written in such a narrative manner where everything is described in a very step-by-step, brick-by-brick fashion. Of course you can argue that all lyrics tell a story but similarly, I'd rather watch a David Lynch film over an insipid "based on a true story" film. In other words I prefer metaphors and ambiguous lyrics that are more spontaneous in nature than the literal act of telling a story/event which can be restrictive and forced. Of course, a lot of this just depends on the talent of the lyricist.

Cradle of Filth's Damnation and a Day offers some of the finest lyrics I've ever read and I find this to be a very compelling concept album.

no "dark side of the moon" or "the wall" mentions yet?

Darkside is great, and musically it is very cohesive, but lyrically I wouldn't qualify it as a concept album. What's the concept? Things that are important in life?

The Wall has some good songs, but the story is self indulgent. Animals is much better than the Wall insofar as truly conceptual albums are concerned.