Concept albums (top 5)

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime/Livecrime (the live set is very good :) ) , actually has some kind of total story to it that works well, and reflected well in the music. The live set has a unique atmosphere to it and the video is damn cool too :)

Ayreon - the electric castle (i think), now this is a concept album. 8 singers including fish, cheesy, but respect for the whole bombastic and over the top feel and story :)

I really didn't like Dream Theatre's SFAM at all, I thought it was weak concept, lyrically poorly executed as well. Haven't cared too much for their recent output (what happened :cry:)?

Originally posted by Windom Pearl
Raison D'etre! :)
There is this song...err...Inner depths of Sadness that I really like. Is it on that one? Been very long since I´ve heard it.

Yes! That is the one! Track 6 off Within The Depth Of Silence And Phormations :)
A really good album with a great range! The concept being murder (from what I've read in interviews), he mixes light industrial voices (as in spoken word without distortion) with some REALLY depressing and dark music, especially on the track you mentioned. It starts of slow enough, and as the track progresses, it gets more minimalistic, as the guy in the track relates his murder act, until you get right to the end, where there is silence for a bit, and the guy in the track is saying he isn't remorseful....REALLY intense feeling overwhelms :)

Have you heard any of Raison D'etre's other stuff, Windom?
btw I like your name, it has a certain energy about it (didn't get to post that in the 'cool names' thread, so letting you know now) :)

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
I really didn't like Dream Theatre's SFAM at all, I thought it was weak concept, lyrically poorly executed as well. Haven't cared too much for their recent output (what happened :cry:)?
Wow! You know, you're the first person i've heard say that. Apart from ignorant people just outright diss DT. It seems like you're a fan of DT, but not the new stuff.
After i bought SFAM it was the only album i listened for for at least two weeks. I have only just stopped listening to it regularly, but i having nothing bad to say about any of the songs on it.
Well each to their own. :)

Opeth - Still Life
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

Opeth - Still Life
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (very complex story)
Opeth - MAYH

in no particular order:

Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element

I haven't really studied anything else.. I've got the Wall and I've got 2112 but I haven't studied the stories so...

coincidentally.. these are my three fave bands at the moment..

Originally posted by sands of the seas

Wow! You know, you're the first person i've heard say that. Apart from ignorant people just outright diss DT. It seems like you're a fan of DT, but not the new stuff.
After i bought SFAM it was the only album i listened for for at least two weeks. I have only just stopped listening to it regularly, but i having nothing bad to say about any of the songs on it.
Well each to their own. :)

It's not that the songs are bad, some of them are quite good, some of them heavy and there's one or two I really like, but as far as a concept album went it didn't work.

Concept albums seem to be one of those things that some bands attempt, and even fewer pull of well. The whole thing has to work, and in the case of the SFAM storyline I found it a bit disjointed and badly written, but then again I am of the opinion that DT's lyrics have gone downhill since awake. They just aren't as poetic and flowing as they used to be, I mean, I personally think they let the album down.

But yes, each his own test. I haven't heard 6DOIT yet, so I'll have to give it a chance...

Ok here are the best concept albums ever:

1. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element pt.1
2. Pain of Salvation - One Hour by The Concrete Lake
3. Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
4. Opeth - Still Life
5. Maudlin of the Well - Bath/LYBM (For complexity.. I can't figure it out)

Brandon

All of the Pain of Salvations discs!
Opeth's two
Symphony X's V
Pink Floyd's The Wall
Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees

It's not that the songs are bad, some of them are quite good, some of them heavy and there's one or two I really like, but as far as a concept album went it didn't work.

Concept albums seem to be one of those things that some bands attempt, and even fewer pull of well. The whole thing has to work, and in the case of the SFAM storyline I found it a bit disjointed and badly written, but then again I am of the opinion that DT's lyrics have gone downhill since awake. They just aren't as poetic and flowing as they used to be, I mean, I personally think they let the album down.

But yes, each his own test. I haven't heard 6DOIT yet, so I'll have to give it a chance...

This is exactly why I wouldn't put this high on my list of concept discs. I do love the way that they play but I can't help but laugh at the lyrics.

In no particular order:

Opeth - MAYH
Opeth - Still Life
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

I love these albums... anyway, I don't possess many concept albums besides these (so far :))

If all Opeth's albums are concept albums I would say "Blackwater park" is the best concept album!
If not, I would say Marvin Gaye's "What's going on". It's a superb record!
I don't know if it categorizes as a concept album, but Parliament's "Mothership Connection" is my favorite album of all time! I suspect it to be a little "concepty", but I'm not sure. Their lyrics are about funk, being funky and other funk stuff and includes characthers like Starchild, Sir Nose D'void of funk and so on, so it's hard to say if it's a concept record.

YES! PEOPLE KNOW WHO RAISON D'ETRE IS!! WOO HOO! (sorry got a little excited there)

1. Letum - The Entrance to Salvation
2. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
3. Emperor - Prometheus
4. Opeth - Still Life
5. Opeth - MAYH

In no real order:

Opeth - Still Life & MAYH
Fear Factory - Obsolete
NIN - The Downward Spiral (didn't know it was until I read this thread)

I've never heard most of the albums mentioned here.

Mmm... guess Opeth's Still Life and Fall of the Leafe's August Wernicke. I can't even recall more concept albums at the moment.

Sadly, I'm still yet to make myself familiar with the older records of Opeth (I only have Still Life and Blackwater Park), but when I get some money, which is soon, I'll be off to the local record shop ;)

Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Iced Earth - Dark Saga
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Opeth - MAYH