Concept Albums

Serenity Painted Dave

Swing on a spiral
May 3, 2009
Well I'm new to the forum and I thought it'd be good to start a thread, and, as I can't see one, (sorry if there already is) I thought I'd make it What are your favourite concept albums?

I'll get the ball rolling
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and if you consider any others to be, I love them all
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth
King Diamond and much of his collection
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Zero Hour - The Towers Of Avarice
Mind's Eye - A Gentleman's Hurricane
Riverside and their trilogy
Carach Angren - Lammendam
Wolverine - Cold Light of Monday
Pain Of Salvation - Be
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, if you consider them to be, because obviously some people below me don't.
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Lord Of Mushrooms - 7 Deadly Songs
Eureka - Shackleton's Voyage

There's more but I'll be posting on what I forgot so yeah.

too many to mention, but off the top of my head at the moment:

the almighty dark side of the moon, of course, should be mentioned first
opeth - still life
opeth - my arms your hearse
the who - tommy
savatage - streets
david bowie - ziggy stardust
queensyrche - operation: mindcrime
blind guardian - nightfall in middle earth (yes, i love that album, goddamit!)
cradle of filth - cruelty and the beast
iced earth - dark saga
emperor - prometheus
mastodon - leviathan
dredg - leitmotif
fates warning - a pleasant shade of gray
marillion - misplaced childhood
rush - 2112

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Edge of Sanity - Crimson + Crimson II
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Mastodon - Leviathan
Morgion - Solinari
Ulver - Bergtatt

and probably lots more, I just don't remember them right now. :erk:

I'm listening to Hammerheart by Bathory right now :D

So by concept albums are we talking records with a storyline or records with a clear theme throughout lyrically.

That Blind Guardian album is in fact very good, BG's best by far.

Indeed. BG really did well with that album! (I should know since I've been a fan of them for some years and they have been my fav band since I first heard them. No joke!)

I cant beleive no one put The Wall by Pink Floyd. Itsone of my favorite albums and I figured it would b one of everyone elses too.

The Wall is a bloated piece of Roger Waters egomania. There are some good songs in there but the majority of it is patience testing, especially compared to the four albums that preceeded it which are just all class.

you know what. Ive fucking had it with you people. Everyone ignores me and those who dont usuall put down what I have to say. Everyone on this site is the same. All anyone does is put each other down if they dontagree with what the previous poster says and its bullshit. Why Mr. S doesnt do anything about it is beyond me and Im probably going down for this but he is a terrible moderator and most of you should count yourselves lucky that if a real moderator was here to monitor what most of you were saying you would probbl be banned. Anyway Im gone so say or do what you will because the fact is I dont give a fuk. No one here ever liked me anyway.

The Wall is a bloated piece of Roger Waters egomania. There are some good songs in there but the majority of it is patience testing, especially compared to the four albums that preceeded it which are just all class.

i believe your math is failing you, the only good albums before the wall are wish you were here and dark side of the moon. one cd plus another cd makes two cds :wave:

but hey, since your opinion is so superiour im sure the laws of mathematics dont apply to you!

you know what. Ive fucking had it with you people. Everyone ignores me and those who dont usuall put down what I have to say. Everyone on this site is the same. All anyone does is put each other down if they dontagree with what the previous poster says and its bullshit. Why Mr. S doesnt do anything about it is beyond me and Im probably going down for this but he is a terrible moderator and most of you should count yourselves lucky that if a real moderator was here to monitor what most of you were saying you would probbl be banned. Anyway Im gone so say or do what you will because the fact is I dont give a fuk. No one here ever liked me anyway.

what the fucking hell

All the Mars Volta records (minus Amputechture)
Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Holywood by Marilyn Manson
F#A#(Infinity) by Godspeed You! Black Emperor
All the Mastodon records

Thats all I can think of right now.

i believe your math is failing you, the only good albums before the wall are wish you were here and dark side of the moon. one cd plus another cd makes two cds :wave:

but hey, since your opinion is so superiour im sure the laws of mathematics dont apply to you!
LOL....are you trying to say that ANIMALS and MEDDLE are not good?:OMG:

I'd have to say Fear Factory's Obsolete is a good one. Honestly I don't know so much about the concept, just that it's something about machines taking over and that is always a good concept. And the music's good too.