Concept Albums

you people are fuckin retarded, dsotm isn't a concept album you dolts, it's a theme album - there's a big difference. a "concept" album is more used to refer to rock opera-ish records, like the wall or mindcrime or mayh or still life. a "theme" album is something that isn't specifically tied together by a single concept (like a rock opera would be), but rather an overlying theme (ie dsotm is about humanity's downfalls or some trippy shit.)

perhaps I got the two mixed up in the definition but you should be able to understand the point

you know what. Ive fucking had it with you people. Everyone ignores me and those who dont usuall put down what I have to say. Everyone on this site is the same. All anyone does is put each other down if they dontagree with what the previous poster says and its bullshit. Why Mr. S doesnt do anything about it is beyond me and Im probably going down for this but he is a terrible moderator and most of you should count yourselves lucky that if a real moderator was here to monitor what most of you were saying you would probbl be banned. Anyway Im gone so say or do what you will because the fact is I dont give a fuk. No one here ever liked me anyway.
hey man, I like your kool-aid picture!! It's an internet forum. Don't take this place so seriously.

I think a clear theme should count aswell.

nope a thematic album is different from a concept album. i know the two expressions sound equivocal to the ear but they are not. for instance, nick cave's "murder ballads" album is all about murders...but it's not a concept album. if you took a song out of that record, it wouldnt matter.

however, a concept album would lose its integrity or entirety if that were to happen. get it?

you people are fuckin retarded, dsotm isn't a concept album you dolts, it's a theme album - there's a big difference. a "concept" album is more used to refer to rock opera-ish records, like the wall or mindcrime or mayh or still life. a "theme" album is something that isn't specifically tied together by a single concept (like a rock opera would be), but rather an overlying theme (ie dsotm is about humanity's downfalls or some trippy shit.)

perhaps I got the two mixed up in the definition but you should be able to understand the point

whooops, didnt see your message before i posted mine. yes, i pretty much covered what you said here.

however, just like many will, i disagree with you on dsotm. it is a concept album based on life. think of what each song talks about: home, work, time, death, money, war, madness...all aspects of a human life. so there.

sorry, whats dsotm?

Im sorry guys and Mr.S I just felt like everyone is a close-knit group here and I was like an outcast. I guss not. Again Im sorry everyone.

everyone feels like that sometimes. dont be a pussy and take it like a man. im sure many people on here, like me, dont care about who posts but what is posted. i only know very frequent posters on here and a few ones who i met in real life. so i dont think it's a close-knit group at all. and dont forget this is coming from a person who considers this forum as a part of his life :wave:

whooops, didnt see your message before i posted mine. yes, i pretty much covered what you said here.

however, just like many will, i disagree with you on dsotm. it is a concept album based on life. think of what each song talks about: home, work, time, death, money, war, madness...all aspects of a human life. so there.

but the reason why I'd have to disagree there is because there's no clear-cut story or concept behind it, it's just based on the theme of living. an album like mindcrime or the wall or tommy or quadrophenia - they all have a clear-cut storyline, that (for the most part) go in chronological order. tbh you could take a song out of dsotm and it wouldn't matter, because it's not held together by a story.

dsotm = dark side of the moon, btw.

Yeah, just thought I'd see if we were counting albums with themes as well, because that'd open up a whole other can of worms.

Just about every Pink Floyd album is a concept album. Great music from the beginning. There's a bunch of Yes albums that could be considered concepts too. But for the most part the lyrics are a jumble to me. They only make sense if I'm on something :Smokedev: Kind of like Pink Floyd.

The Who's Tommy is pretty much the ultimate concept album. It was HUGE in 1969. The Who was teetering on the brink of obscurity when that album blasted them into the mainstream.

Just about every Pink Floyd album is a concept album.

I don't know about that. The Wall is really the only concept album on what we have somewhat agreed constitutes a 'concept album' with a clearly defined storyline. Stuff like Dark Side..., Wish You Were Here and Animals clearly have unifying themes throughout them, but not really a storyline. But I won't argue over the quality.