Concerts - 2003

Aug. 27- CoF/KsE/sworn enemy/shadows fall

Nov. 19- Dimmu/CoB/nevermore/hypocrisy

Sure! Why not? :D You don't have to list all of them. I didn't. You don't have to recall dates and venues, either. Just some names :) and any other comments you might want to make about your locally signed or unsigned bands.

wildfyr said:
Well, it's just about time for the yearly recap. Not as many entries for this year's list. Not that there was a lack for shows, just think I'm slowing down a bit. :erk:

2003 Recap At a Glance
that´s much! and you must have a good memory for the exact dates (or written it down) ;)

my 2003 as far as I remember

Spring
Opeth, Zeche Carl - Essen, Ger
Katatonia/Before The Dawn, Kulturfabrik - Krefeld, Ger
COB, Zeche - Bochum, Ger

Summer
Tuska-Festival, Fin, with Arch Enemy, COB, Sentenced, The Haunted, Rotten Sound, Before The Dawn, Total Devastation, Finntroll, 69 Eyes, Amorphis, Moonsorrow, Horna, Norther...

Velcra, On The Rocks - Helsinki, Fin

Tammerfest, Fin: Ratas, Mokoma, Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus and some more which were at Tuska, too

Ankkarock, Fin: HIM :), Timo Rautiainen, Don Johnson Big Band, Apulanta, Hellacopters

Autumn:
Prog Power Europe, NL: Nightingale!, Novembre, Green Carnation
Dimmu Borgir, Hypocrisy, Live Music Hall - Cologne, Ger

Winter:
Spinefeast - Nosturi, Fin: Charon, Moonsorrow, Rapture, Ajattara, Thyrane

thanks for posting your recap, fireangel. if you're able to recall all that from memory then you deserve a salute. :) unfortunately it's true. i'm one of those old-fashioned geeks with a pen and a small day planner.

evidently you've seen a good number of shows/bands this year too. you also travelled a lot more than i did, which is admirable and also worthy of another salute. \m/

wildfyr said:
thanks for posting your recap, fireangel. if you're able to recall all that from memory then you deserve a salute. :) unfortunately it's true. i'm one of those old-fashioned geeks with a pen and a small day planner.

evidently you've seen a good number of shows/bands this year too. you also travelled a lot more than i did, which is admirable and also worthy of another salute. \m/

:oops: thank you! The shows from this year was mixed between memory and looking up some papers ;) I plan for a long while now to make an archive, from the concert tickets and other hints, so one day I would know all where I´ve been. But taking the first step is somehow difficult ;) But I will....

That ProgPower doesn´t count for travelling, because I live close to the border to Netherlands, so it was not more far than the other gigs in Germany. There are no good ones in my town (or very seldom), I always have to go at least an hour or two. But it could be worse I guess.

The last two upcoming gigs for this year will be Schattenreich-Festival with oomph! and Within Temptation, and few days later Poisonblack & Passenger. Actually Lacuna Coil/Moonspell are the headliners for that one, but they don´t interest me.

What are your plans for the rest of the year? Or does it belong to the thread "which concerts are you going to see" :p

:oops: thank you!
you're welcome. :)

The shows from this year was mixed between memory and looking up some papers ;) I plan for a long while now to make an archive, from the concert tickets and other hints, so one day I would know all where I´ve been. But taking the first step is somehow difficult ;) But I will....
i know what you mean. papers can be good. ;) in addition to the day planner, i collect a free monthly music publication called the Illinois Entertainer, which can be really handy for pre-planning and reference purposes as it lists several venues' schedules. sometimes I refer to old flyers i've kept and stashed away for whatever reason, too. incidently, one day about 2 years ago i found a copy of a Web page i'd printed back in 1999 with some bands' "missing" '99 tour dates. what an amazing (re)discovery that was! :lol: ;) i subsequently posted the tour schedule at the (Official UM) forum of one of the lineup bands, but unfortunately that board/post no longer exists.

That ProgPower doesn´t count for travelling, because I live close to the border to Netherlands, so it was not more far than the other gigs in Germany. There are no good ones in my town (or very seldom), I always have to go at least an hour or two. But it could be worse I guess.
well, you're getting out to the venues whether near or far and that's what counts!

The last two upcoming gigs for this year will be Schattenreich-Festival with oomph! and Within Temptation, and few days later Poisonblack & Passenger. Actually Lacuna Coil/Moonspell are the headliners for that one, but they don´t interest me.

What are your plans for the rest of the year? Or does it belong to the thread "which concerts are you going to see" :p
:heh: well, i'm not sure. it would probably be appropriate since that content would fall under upcoming events. however, suffice it to say there's not much planned atm. i've been rather impulsive in my attendance lately.

if i may switch gears for a moment, may i ask if you have any opinions on the use of the word "local" to describe bands that are from your area, but who are also known worldwide? i find myself referring to some Chicago area bands as "local" because they're from here, yet they have sold their product world wide and have performed in other countries. just wondering if it seems limiting or misleading to use the term local for nationally and internationally recognized artists.

wildfyr said:
you're welcome. :)
:)

wildfyr said:
i know what you mean. papers can be good. ;) in addition to the day planner, i collect a free monthly music publication called the Illinois Entertainer, which can be really handy for pre-planning and reference purposes as it lists several venues' schedules. sometimes I refer to old flyers i've kept and stashed away for whatever reason, too. incidently, one day about 2 years ago i found a copy of a Web page i'd printed back in 1999 with some bands' "missing" '99 tour dates. what an amazing (re)discovery that was! :lol: ;) i subsequently posted the tour schedule at the (Official UM) forum of one of the lineup bands, but unfortunately that board/post no longer exists.
hey, I have such old things, too. But I also threw away a lot in the last year, of concerts and stuff that don´t mean anything to me anymore (because my music taste changed radically within four years ;) ) Still it is nice to look at the old tickets and photos and such.
I don´t have any printed mag around, unfortunately :( There is only those of the national metal-mags, which of course doesn´t feature everything, so I rely on the net mostly and I am up to date of the favourite-bands tourschedules.. well, more or less. Those shows I missed, it happened because of other reasons than not knowing their existence. :erk:

wildfyr said:
well, you're getting out to the venues whether near or far and that's what counts!
You belong to the minority who applauses for this :) Basically most people tell me it is insane to fly for visiting a gig :lol: So I really have to say thanks again. And it is not like I would choose to go there (now I speak of concerts in general) or not. I just HAVE to.

wildfyr said:
:heh: well, i'm not sure. it would probably be appropriate since that content would fall under upcoming events. however, suffice it to say there's not much planned atm. i've been rather impulsive in my attendance lately.
alright. If I come back to the topic, then at the other place.

wildfyr said:
if i may switch gears for a moment, may i ask if you have any opinions on the use of the word "local" to describe bands that are from your area, but who are also known worldwide? i find myself referring to some Chicago area bands as "local" because they're from here, yet they have sold their product world wide and have performed in other countries. just wondering if it seems limiting or misleading to use the term local for nationally and internationally recognized artists.
which bands do you mean?
Spontaneously I would say that "local" bands are those known locally and maybe to few more people. But I haven´t thought about that before ;) Yes, I would say so. If you´d speak about local bands, I would not expect them being mega-stars.

EDIT - terribly offtopic:
I forgot to say that your signature text is pretty cool. I read that "Walden"-book of H.D. Thoreau, and also one with the title (translated from german back to english....): About the obligation to revolt against the state (or something like this *LOL*) He had very interesting thoughts.

wildfyr said:
:err: some of you can't recall or can't be arsed to list some of your local bands? :erk:
Most of the local shows I go to I hate the music and just hang out outside with my friends (thus I don't pay either)

The Hardcore show I went to was:

friday august 1
embrace today
the distance
dead wrong
the banner
burning bridges
untold truth
crime in stereo

one of them didn't suck much, but I'm not sure which one.

and Slow Children was with The Stereo, one other touring band, and a bunch of half ass local bands.

Jan. 31 - Nile, Napalm Death, Dark Tranquillity, SYL at The Vic
Mar. 07 - Hate Eteranal, Dying Fetus, Kataklysm, Gorespawn at Rockhouse
Mar. 28 - Shadows Fall, Shai Hulud, Unearth, Cephalic Carnage at Rockhouse
Mar. 29 - Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Vehemence at Rockhouse
Apr. 25 - Halford, Testament, Immortal, Primal Fear, Behemoth, Carnal Forge at House of Blues
May. 21 - Opeth, Lacuna Coil, Beyond The Embrace at The Rave(Milwaukee)
Jun. 02 - Lacuna Coil, Tapping The Vein, Daylight Dies at The Metro
Jun. 06 - The Haunted, Shai Hulud, Kataklysm, Bleeding Through at The Metro
Jul. 06 - In Flames, Soilwork, Chimaira, Unearth at The Vic
Jul. 25 & 26 - Milwaukee Metal Fest
Aug. 06 - Type O Negative and Lacuna Coil at The Metro
Aug. 09 - Type O Negative and Lacuna Coil at The Rave(Milwaukee)
Sep. 03 - Arch Enemy, Evergrey, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hate Eternal at The Bottom Lounge
Sep. 07 - Samael, Strapping Young Lad, Cathedral at The Metro
Oct. 29 - Slayer, Hatebreed, Arch Enemy, Sworn Enemy at The Aragon
Nov. 06 - Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Unearth at The Vic
Nov. 11 - Dimmu Borgir, Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Hypocrisy at The House of Blues
Nov. 22 - Cradle of Filth, Type O Negative, Moonspell at The Riviera
Dec. 02 - Lacuna Coil, Dog Fasion Disco, Avernus at Oasis One Sixty

There's my list of shows that I attended this year.

fireangel said:
:)

hey, I have such old things, too. But I also threw away a lot in the last year, of concerts and stuff that don´t mean anything to me anymore (because my music taste changed radically within four years ;) ) Still it is nice to look at the old tickets and photos and such.
I don´t have any printed mag around, unfortunately :( There is only those of the national metal-mags, which of course doesn´t feature everything, so I rely on the net mostly and I am up to date of the favourite-bands tourschedules.. well, more or less. Those shows I missed, it happened because of other reasons than not knowing their existence. :erk:
of course there is also the net. ;) the technology is even there for an electronic day planner! but, as i mentioned before, i'm still doing things (in that respect) the old-fashioned way. o_0

You belong to the minority who applauses for this :) Basically most people tell me it is insane to fly for visiting a gig :lol: So I really have to say thanks again. And it is not like I would choose to go there (now I speak of concerts in general) or not. I just HAVE to.
heh, i do? :err: now i'm wondering: do your friends/acquaintances think attending music events is a chore? i would ever want it to become a chore, but i'd imagine if it's someone's job and they have to do it, then it might end up becoming just that. :erk:

which bands do you mean?
Spontaneously I would say that "local" bands are those known locally and maybe to few more people. But I haven´t thought about that before ;) Yes, I would say so. If you´d speak about local bands, I would not expect them being mega-stars.
i understand what you're saying and i agree. it's still sometimes difficult not refer to local bands as local once they've achieved a higher level of recognition.

EDIT - terribly offtopic:
I forgot to say that your signature text is pretty cool. I read that "Walden"-book of H.D. Thoreau, and also one with the title (translated from german back to english....): About the obligation to revolt against the state (or something like this *LOL*) He had very interesting thoughts.
thanks! it's only a partial quote as you may already know. yeah, HDT had an interesting life philosophy. one that stood in contrast to the mainstream. he had minimalist ideals and a lot of people thought he was strange. Civil Disobedience is the essay i think you're referring to. in today's Bush-whacked America CD is necessary and it occurs in retaliation to the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and other domestic issues brought about by 9/11. the CD that occurs now is almost like CD in the 60's, but for the most part it's squelched by CIA, SS, local law enforcement, a controlled mass media, ... :mad: :hotjump:

by the way, i was going to respond to this message from the office earlier today but when i logged in i noticed several changes in the UM system and got a little bit sidetracked checking out some of the new features. i managed to update my concert list above. heh, now there is a "reason for edit" field. nifty! anyhoo, i have a nice T-1 connection there at work but i couldn't continue to surf and when i came home and tried to log on again earlier this evening it was extremely slow running with the 56k. :\ it seems only slightly better now.