Concerts - 2003

Are you sure Eddie would be up for it? You know with the shrinking of his balls after he went out with chris :p :p. Good to see you can make it :D. Stick around, post more :).

Nick

Wolfman Von Jones said:
Are you sure Eddie would be up for it? You know with the shrinking of his balls after he went out with chris :p :p. Good to see you can make it :D. Stick around, post more :).

Nick
Well, last I heard he was going. I was just out with him yesterday. What's the deal with those two anyway? He was just out with Chris the other night. He said they were done, but he keeps hanging out with her. I'm confused.

Ahh. only one.
July 20th - Summer Sanitarium

I wanted to go to Dimmu/bodom/hypocrisy/nevermore in november but it sold out. And then they are going to come back to do a 2nd show because of the demand, on december 14th. AND IT FUCKING SOLD OUT IN.. A WEEK! Christ.. leave the tickets for the goddamn kids, aye?

mtlstv said:
Well, last I heard he was going. I was just out with him yesterday. What's the deal with those two anyway? He was just out with Chris the other night. He said they were done, but he keeps hanging out with her. I'm confused.
Yeah man me too. The whole situation is really stupid. They should just break up instead of prolonging the inevitable. I think they are just doing it for the sex at this point.

Nick

whoa, first of all, new UM-looks is baaaaaaadddddd!!! And why do I have a tiny window for replying now....? And why the smilies do look a bit pale and green in the face? that was my feeling yesterday, so I dont need to see that everyday again from now on.....

wildfyr said:
of course there is also the net. ;) the technology is even there for an electronic day planner! but, as i mentioned before, i'm still doing things (in that respect) the old-fashioned way. o_0
I think we don´t talk exactly about the same thing ;) Of course you can make your plans on paper, and believe me, I am also that pen & paper-person and make my schedules that way. But some information about tourschedules I find only in the net, like of tiny "local" bands from Finland playing in tiny bars in Helsinki. That is no way printed in the places where I live. It is printed in zines you can get in Finland, though ;) And about Dan Swanö appearing at Progpower, I knew it only from his forum, it wasn´t mentioned in any mag here either.

wildfyr said:
heh, i do? :err: now i'm wondering: do your friends/acquaintances think attending music events is a chore? i would ever want it to become a chore, but i'd imagine if it's someone's job and they have to do it, then it might end up becoming just that. :erk:
no, big misunderstanding :) first of all, it are not my friends, because they don´t do. Just other people I have around, and so I wrote ;) And with "have to be there" I mean that it is so important to me that I do everything for it, meaning spending all the money on music (instead of fancy other things), being absent from uni-lessons and whatever, just for attending a concert that means the whole world to me.

Sometimes I write about the gigs later or stuff like that, but I don´t report about concerts I wouldn´t go to voluntarily aswell. And sometimes I´d rather be not on the guestlist, so I can enjoy an evening without responsibilities and don´t have to write about it later. But not that you think I would be somehow important ;) It is just a tiny-side thing besides studying.

wildfyr said:
i understand what you're saying and i agree. it's still sometimes difficult not refer to local bands as local once they've achieved a higher level of recognition.
:)

wildfyr said:
thanks! it's only a partial quote as you may already know. yeah, HDT had an interesting life philosophy. one that stood in contrast to the mainstream. he had minimalist ideals and a lot of people thought he was strange. Civil Disobedience is the essay i think you're referring to. in today's Bush-whacked America CD is necessary and it occurs in retaliation to the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and other domestic issues brought about by 9/11. the CD that occurs now is almost like CD in the 60's, but for the most part it's squelched by CIA, SS, local law enforcement, a controlled mass media, ... :mad: :hotjump:
Civil Disobedience sounds much smarter than my construction. But the german title was so long, it was not the english counterpart of that word ;)
I find his thoughts fit to many countries, especially that one where he reminds people that the government serves the inhabitants and not the other way round. After all they are elected for our interests. It is useful for my country, too. It is always good when persons think a bit themselves and not let the TV do the job.
His life in Walden was cool and gave me lots of inspirations but I have to admit that I would not want to live this way. Still, his works is worth to be read.

wildfyr said:
by the way, i was going to respond to this message from the office earlier today but when i logged in i noticed several changes in the UM system and got a little bit sidetracked checking out some of the new features. i managed to update my concert list above. heh, now there is a "reason for edit" field. nifty! anyhoo, i have a nice T-1 connection there at work but i couldn't continue to surf and when i came home and tried to log on again earlier this evening it was extremely slow running with the 56k. :\ it seems only slightly better now.
:( I don´t like the new system...

Honestly I've been to so many gigs this year that I cannot remember all of them. :p

The best ones were: Type O Negative at Tuska, Sentenced at Tuska and in Wacken. HIM at Semifinal, Helsinki. Massive Attack, Dave Gahan in Provinssirock, Seinäjoki. Dimmu Borgir at Pakkahuone, Tampere.

For the record, Wacken could have been good but for some reasons I didn't see many bands in there. :erk:

fireangel said:
I think we don´t talk exactly about the same thing ;)
:oops: could be! ;)

Of course you can make your plans on paper, and believe me, I am also that pen & paper-person and make my schedules that way. But some information about tourschedules I find only in the net, like of tiny "local" bands from Finland playing in tiny bars in Helsinki. That is no way printed in the places where I live. It is printed in zines you can get in Finland, though ;) And about Dan Swanö appearing at Progpower, I knew it only from his forum, it wasn´t mentioned in any mag here either.
long live the Net! :)

His life in Walden was cool and gave me lots of inspirations but I have to admit that I would not want to live this way. Still, his works is worth to be read.
I think some (rich) people are just too greedy. Do they really need several houses and cars, etc? I do know what you mean though. There are some material things that I wouldn't want to live without...like electricity (for obvious reasons), CDs, some other things I'll leave unwritten. ;)

Since I'm low on my gig attending quota... I decided to see 3 all-girls cover band: AC/DShe (AC/DC), Mistress of Reality (Black Sabbath), and Ms. Fits (Misfits) this Saturday.

wildfyr said:
I think some (rich) people are just too greedy. Do they really need several houses and cars, etc? I do know what you mean though. There are some material things that I wouldn't want to live without...like electricity (for obvious reasons), CDs, some other things I'll leave unwritten. ;)

yes, something like this. I had to admit one day to myself, that I would not want to live without electricity, heating, and some other nice things, either. At least not all the time. And I don´t wanna go hunt game and such. ;) Supermarkets are not that un-useful. I mean I could live quite basic for a while, but I don´t want it forever. And HD Thoreau didn´t, aswell, he was there for around a year, just to prove that it works if one wants to.

On the other hand I don´t believe that too many material things can make you truly happy, like you listed up, lots of cars and so on. Experiences and a rich - fulfilled - life you can´t buy, you have to live it. Though again, money here can help, for example if it enables you to travel. This topic has many aspects.

yep. we are fortunate to have modern comforts and conveniences at our disposable. we have it pretty good. it would be a shock to most of us, I think, if those conveniences were no longer available. i know i'd be bummin'. those who most likely would not be adversely affected by the drastic changing conditions would be those who are already living a simpler(?) life. those already accustomed to little or no modern conveniences. they could be poverty stricken bums living on park benches, military/survivalist types, aborginal tribes, or just people who choose to live that life style (eg, the Amish, et al). if the modern industrialized world came crashing down tomorrow these are the people who are going to be going on with life as usual...living the 'good' life, while the rest of us will probably be cryin' our empty beer mugs. o_O

poor HD. he liked to travel but eventually came back to 'reality' and then got stuck with a lot of his own books. :err:

travel is good though. i can't wait until Scotty gets that transporter room fixed up and running... :loco: (kidding) ;)

I highly doubt I can remember every show I saw this year, but I'll attempt;

1/21 Nile/Napalm Death/Dark Tranquillity/Strapping Young Lad @ Bash On Ash
4/18 The Cramps @ Nita's Hideaway
5/2 Danzig/Superjoint Ritual/Opeth/Nile/Lacuna Coil @ Mesa Amphitheatre
5/4 Meshuggah/Strapping Young Lad @ The Marquee
5/19 Social Distortion @ The Marquee
5/30 The Haunted/Shai Halud/Bleeding Through/Kataklysm @ The Marquee
6/6 Impaled/Vehemence/E.T.T.S./Screaming Afterbirth/Motive/Trail Of Gore/Inducing Terror @ Az Death/Grind Fest, Day 1, The Icehouse
6/7 Exhumed/Deeds Of Flesh/Severed Savior/Structure Of Lies/Asesino/Burn Victim/Excoriation @ Az Death/Grind Fest, Day 2, The Icehouse
7/2 Ozzy/Korn/Marilyn Manson/Cradle Of Filth/Voivod/Shadows Fall/Killswitch Engage @ Ozzfest, Cricket Pavillion
7/14 In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira/Unearth @ The Cajun House
7/15 Rancid/Avenged Sevenfold/Face To Face/Dropkick Murphys/Poison The Well/Glassjaw/Pennywise @ Warped Tour, Peoria Sports Complex
7/23 The(fake)Misfits/The Dickies/Agnostic Front @ The Marquee
7/25 Whitesnake/Warrant/Kip Winger/Slaughter @ Cricket Pavillion
8/22 Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead @ Cricket Pavillion
9/7 Arch Enemy/Hate Eternal/The Black Dahlia Murder @ The Mason Jar
9/8 The Sex Pistols/Glass Heroes @ The Marquee
10/3 Poison The Well/Shadows Fall/Avenged Sevenfold @ The Marquee
10/8 From Autumn To Ashes/Cave In @ The Marquee
10/19 Primus @ Celebrity Theatre
10/28 Social Distortion @ The Marquee
11/5 Clutch/Red Tape/The Northside Kings/Greenhaven @ The Cajun House
11/10 Gorgasm/Pyaemia/Severed Savior/Spawn Of Possession @ The Mason Jar
11/15 Six Feet Under/Skinless/Behemoth @ The Marquee
11/20 Slayer/Hatebreed/Arch Enemy @ Mesa Amphitheatre
11/22 Shadows Fall/Lamb Of God/Killswitch Engage/God Forbid @ The Cajun House
11/25 Dimmu Borgir/Nevermore/Children Of Bodom/Hypocrisy @ The Cajun House
12/1 Cradle Of Filth/Type O Negative/Moonspell @ The Marquee
12/9 Lacuna Coil/Dog Fashion Disco/Eyes Of Fire @ The Mason Jar

That's all the ones I have ticket stubs for so I know the dates. In addition, I also saw this year;

Opeth/Paradise Lost/Tapping The Vein @ The Mason Jar
Dying Fetus/Skinless/Misery Index/Structure Of Lies @ The Big Fish Pub
Death On Wednesday @ The Big Fish Pub
Darkest Hour/Curl Up And Die/Life In Pictures @ The Mason Jar
Cursive/Still Life @ Nita's Hideaway
The Reverend Horton Heat @ Nita's Hideaway
The U.K. Subs/Toxic Narcotic @ The Mason Jar
Defiance/Icons Of Filth @ The Mason Jar
Black Hell/Sons Of Serro @ Jughead's
Phobia/Cripple Bastards/Magnet Plan/Structure Of Lies/Black Hell @ The Mason Jar
Immolation/Grave/Goatwhore @ The Mason Jar

That's all I can remember, but I know there was more.

The following concerts are the ones I went to during 2003...

- Hammerfall, Feb 21st
- Stratovarius, Mar 25th
- Evanescence, Oct 21st

Not many, but it was money well spent...

Sunjammer said:
The following concerts are the ones I went to during 2003...

- Hammerfall, Feb 21st
- Stratovarius, Mar 25th
- Evanescence, Oct 21st

Not many, but it was money well spent...
what impression did you got of Evanescence? I like their music, but I didn´t go to the concert :(

@fireangel: The concert was great. I think they gave pretty much everything they had on stage. It felt like they had a good time due to a big audience showing up. Arenan was crowded to say the least. :).

wildfyr said:
yep. we are fortunate to have modern comforts and conveniences at our disposable. we have it pretty good. it would be a shock to most of us, I think, if those conveniences were no longer available. i know i'd be bummin'. (....)

poor HD. he liked to travel but eventually came back to 'reality' and then got stuck with a lot of his own books. :err:

travel is good though. i can't wait until Scotty gets that transporter room fixed up and running... :loco: (kidding) ;)
:) I agree with you, that there are people better adjusted to those circumstances, though here is also the question of, if they all do that voluntarily or are just excluded to chances..
But since I had only few hours sleep every night and also thought about these questions a lot during the last years, I don´t feel like discussing further now :( sorry. :)

Sunjammer: sounds fine! I didn´t have money lef to see that show also, and it was not my priorities, but nevertheless I like their music, and maybe I have the chance next time. It is good to hear that the band is truly with all their heart on the stage (well, maybe Ben not so much as we heard now..) Amy writes great lyrics I think. :) That is what makes them special, and her voice of course.
I don´t like the "raps" on Bring Me To Life, they spoil the whole song and the guy sounds pretty terribly bored and liveless, too. I know there is a pure version also, but for that I would have to buy the single again :(

Hearse said:
Saw Swallow the Sun & Silentium last night, they were brilliant :cool:
*jealous* for Swallow The Sun. Wanna see them too :)
Which is the female singer for Silentium now? Didn´t the former Lullacry-Tanja sing on the latest record or did I get something wrong?