CONFIRMED: Dio has left us :(

Sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to see Dio live back in the day with Rough Cutt in support. A true metal icon is gone but may his music live on. RIP RJD.
2010-05-16-diohorns-lg.jpg

It's an extremely sad day for heavy metal. Ronnie James Dio gave us so much great music with his works with Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell. He will be sadly missed my many.

One of my most memorable concert moments was seeing him sing for Black Sabbath and they were playing Toledo Sports arena and during one of the songs they blew the circuit breaker not once but twice, taking out the power in the whole city block. Still a great great performance.

My brother and I were just watching the Rainbow Live in Munich DVD before hearing the news. DIO will always go down as the METAL VOCAL GOD. Metal sign up in the air for the legend.

Jasun

It's sad when we start losing our idols and Ronnie certainly was a living legend and inspiration to many. I hope that his family, friends and those he touched throughout his life find strength and comfort through all of the great music he left behind.

R.I.P., RJD. We've lost one of THE finest vocalists and songwriters ever. What a sad, sad day. My thoughts are with Wendy and Ronnie's family and friends at this difficult time. :cry:

I had the dubious 'honor' of being devastated twice in one day by this news....it's been a helluva roller-coaster ride. :(

I kept hoping it was another mistake but alas, no. RJD was easily my favorite vocalist and I'll desperately miss not hearing any new material from him. The metal world will never be the same. RIP Ronnie, we'll never forget you!

Aside from being such a devastating blow to metal, I think it was a loss for humanity in general as well. Ronnie had a very strong, yet kind soul. He was the brainchild of the USA for Africa Hear-N-Aid project. He also was a very humble man staying long after shows and meeting with his fans. He was a great singer and metal icon, but maybe even more importantly, he was a great man. He will be dearly missed.

Bryant

His Facebook fan page had been posting updates like crazy the last couple of weeks, so I had a feeling things were not looking good.

My daughter's middle name is "James", partially a nod towards RJD. We were both sad to hear of his passing.

RIP RJD

I cannot begin to say how this is affecting me. Dio was my idol since High School, and such an inspiration in my musical career. I had the honor of opening for him in 94 here in Houston, and he really was the most gracious "rock star" I have ever met. We talked and joked around for at least an hour about music and life in general. His voice with be blasted in the heaven's for all eternity now.

To quote Mike Portnoy....... Randy Rhoads, Dime, Cliff, and John Bonham just scored the greatest singer ever.

Now I know that there is something to look forward to on the other side.

Godspeed.

Shane

I am crying while reading this. When I was a young teen, I was listening to Country music. I became near suicidal listening to the depressed lyrics. Then, one day at my Uncle's house in the Germantown section of Quincy, Mass around noontime, I found an epiphany when I saw someone singing "Rainbow in the Dark" on MTV. That man was Ronnie James Dio. I can actually say if it was not for Dio, and other acts introduced to me because of listening to Dio (Man on the Silver Mountain live version is my favorite) I might have taken my own life or worse. I also became a staunch supporter of metal afterwards that remains to this day.

RJD, as you rise to the top of the Silver Mountain, you leave a legacy that will be unmatched. The lives that your voice touched will be forever grateful for your existence. Your voice led way for the entire Power/Fantasy metal genre that we have today. That night I saw you play at the Garden will be ingrained forever. Those things said, I now go to the song that paved the road for me: (Can't get the video, goddammit!)

Ronnie James Dio, Requiesence en Pace. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
My ex-wife and best friend's wife got back stage and met Dio a few years ago. They said he was so VERY kind and humble. Like so many others have already said...we lost a great singer an even greater human being.

Rock \m/
In \m/
Peace \m/

My brother.

Chris :headbang:

This just kills me....I've never been so upset about a Musician's passing and still cannot believe it's true.
Dio's voice could move oceans and forever changed Metal as we know it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him perform numerous times. I never got to meet him in person unfortunatly, but you never heard one bad thing about him. He was a genuinely nice guy!
It's a very, very sad day to lose such an incredible person.
RIP