contraversial musical opinions

Please tell me Satriani has more interesting songs than that. I haven't listened to him before, and that piece definitely did not get me excited about hearing anything more by him.

I'm cool with mellow rock and all, but I prefer it to have a somewhat mysterious mood to it, not just a simple, ho-hum, "idly-taking-a-walk-through-the-park-while-picking-flowers" mood.

The Extremist is a good song, in a Friday Night Sports Show Theme kinda way. The middle solo section is blistering Satriani brilliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Prog/Power is better than most genres of metal (except perhaps Black Metal).

2) Helloween are overrated. They did not 'create' Power Metal, although Kai Hansen contributed significantly to the genre. The Dark Ride is an amazing album, though.

3) Angra > Symphony X.

I don't like clean vocals in Metal.
I wish Attila had never joined Mayhem.
I like Danni Filth's vocals better than some black metal screams.
I don't like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden.
Chris Barnes's Six Feet Under vocals are some of the best growls in death metal today.
I don't like melancholic type Metal and don't see why people use soft things in Metal.

Ill admit I hate Maiden more than Priest.
The only Corpse album I can get into is the Bleeding cause there are some cool breakdowns and somewhat diverse.
Dani Filth should die.
I like an atmospheric or folk touch with my black metal...(very picky with black metal)
Opeth has been my favorite band since Blackwater.

man you are really missing out on so much great music by listening to only "heavy" music.

admire the beauty of this beautiful song by joe satriani

I have no idea how someone can get enjoyment from hearing guitarists like that.

I have no idea how someone can get enjoyment from hearing guitarists like that.
I get where you're coming from and you really dont have to play to appreciate Satch and the likes. The Virtuoso genre is not something you could play on regular basis...you just have to be very open minded. Try that Vai song I posted instead...it shreds.

I have been playing guitar around 6,7 years and still do not find virtuoso shredders appealing. NONE

I wuld never resort to cheesy guitar masterbating regardless if playing for 20 years.

1349 is an excellent black metal band.

Zyklon's World ov Worms is a black metal album.

At the Gates is over-rated.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky >>>>>>>>> the other two.

All of Dimmu Borgir's albums are not only enjoyable, but they are black metal.

Early Naglfar > Later Naglfar

Stormblast MMV > Stormblast

Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk > In the Nightside Eclipse

Dol Guldur is an over-rated album.

All of Dimmu Borgir's albums are not only enjoyable, but they are black metal.

The first I can accept - but you're wrong on the second one, seein' as genres arn't opinions and they've got nothin' much goin' on in a BM musical way and much more in a Gothic metal way.

I actually like Prometheus by Emperor.

Me too.

1. thats kind of narrowminded of you, no offense.

Hah, you're the most narrow minded person on this board. stfu.

I don't like clean vocals in Metal.
I wish Attila had never joined Mayhem.

Me too, though he is tolerable

I see nothing wrong with Dimmu's albums.. all of them...

Me neither. I like all of em.

An opinion that challenges fact is called a controversial opinion, hence the thread title. I associate Dimmu Borgir's sound most closely with Symphonic Black Metal, based upon my broad view of what defines the black metal sound.

I just think of them as an extreme symphonic band, previously being black metal.

I accept this definition, but there are enough traces of black metal still left in their sound that I cognitively label them black metal. Plus the fact that they used to play purer black metal makes it harder to isolate them from that label.

^What do you consider Satyricon's newer stuff subgenre wise then?

Once again, on a broad definition of the genre, it's black metal. Being a little more specific, it's still black metal, but a sub-genre of black metal called black n' roll.

An opinion that challenges fact is called a controversial opinion, hence the thread title. I associate Dimmu Borgir's sound most closely with Symphonic Black Metal, based upon my broad view of what defines the black metal sound.

An opinion that challenges fact is nothing more than a joke. I can THINK the sky is ocher, that may be my opinion and I could fight it tooth and nail but that doesn't make it any less of a joke.

^What do you consider Satyricon's newer stuff subgenre wise then?

Black 'n' roll