contraversial musical opinions

Well, I don't like to play brutal fast fast fast stuff all the time. I do like mid tempo stuff like in newer Satyricon, some Nile, Six Feet Under, some Morbid Angel, and some Suffocation. I like slow heavy stuff and fast heavy stuff but the difference is the slow stuff is brutal and not melancholic(though newer Satyricon doesn't seem too brutal or melancholic)

Well, I don't like to play brutal fast fast fast stuff all the time. I do like mid tempo stuff like in newer Satyricon, some Nile, Six Feet Under, some Morbid Angel, and some Suffocation. I like slow heavy stuff and fast heavy stuff but the difference is the slow stuff is brutal and not melancholic(though newer Satyricon doesn't seem too brutal or melancholic)

man you are really missing out on so much great music by listening to only "heavy" music.

admire the beauty of this beautiful song by joe satriani

Last edited by a moderator:
post yours!
people that don't like grindcore/goregrind are just narrowminded

That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen. I hate grind, I can't stand it, but I can tell you right now that I am not narrowminded whatsoever, I just don't enjoy it.

Now to get back to the topic, here's mine (not necessarily controversial, more just my thoughts that usually get argued with):

Load IS a decent album, so is St Anger, but Metallica are nothing overly special in the first place anyway. Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are boring albums.

Like somebody above said, I hate black metal bands that purposely have shit production on their albums.

Dream Theater are boring as bat shit. I can't stand bands that spend all their time trying to be technical and their music ends up having nothing enjoyable about it.

Iced Earth with Ripper on vocals is awesome. It's doesn't match up to Barlow's material of course, but they are fucking MASSIVE shoes to fill and I think Ripper is doing a mighty fine job.

Drone is shit. I fail to see anything even slightly enjoyable about that genre in general, in fact I fail to see how most drone "songs" are actually classed as proper songs.

There's nothing at all wrong with cheesy power metal (such as Manowar), it's all in good fun.

Similar to the previous point, there's nothing wrong with fake-satanism in music (Slayer for example), it's all in good fun, it's entertainment remember.

There's nothing wrong with bands becoming commercially succeful.

There's nothing wrong with a band re-recording old songs for a compilation or anything similar, especially when the bands sound has changed a lot.

Not every band has to be "original". Why does it matter if a band sounds like another band? Or they have similar riffs? If you enjoy it, then it just means you have twice as much good music to listen to.

Dave, I'm about to print out the tab to God of Emptiness and learn it. :) I like he solos in all of metal, but the music sometimes doesn't folow up in tastes to the solos.

I hate brutal death metal because death metal is already brutal heavy and extreme and there are plently of regular death metal bands that push music just as much if not more that do not have to be trendy and market their music to scensters.

Controversial opinion: Metal is the only postwar genre I like. I like a few select ambient, new-age, IDM and acoustic folk albums but not enough to say that I like the genre as a whole.

I had some typos. :p And you said you liked the opening riff of God of Emptiness in the "New Nile Song" thread so I figured you'd like it that I'm going to learn and play it on guitar.
And I like the solos in all subgenres of metal, power, prog, etc.. but I don't like the music that goes with it sometimes. That's what I meant to say.

I like dream theatre, opeth, and all those "wank" prog metal bands.

10000 days is tools best album and the fragile is NINs best album

meshuggah is badass, and hardly anyone comprehends their "math"

metalheads are in general narrowminded

metal isn't the greatest genre of music

there is nothing wrong with selling out necessairily

blast beats get boring

man you are really missing out on so much great music by listening to only "heavy" music.

admire the beauty of this beautiful song by joe satriani

Definetly Satch's best song... but then again i don't like his other albums.. Surfing with the Alien was perfection and has never been able to come out with another classic album like that... on another note.. is that Jennifer Connelly in the video? ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any retard (like ohiogrinder in this case) can say the most unbelievable crap imaginable and call himself "controversial", so i can't help not joining this stupidity feast and say that everyone who prefers brutal/blackish vocals over clean, was born without ears.

Any retard (like ohiogrinder in this case) can say the most unbelievable crap imaginable and call himself "controversial", so i can't help not joining this stupidity feast and say that everyone who prefers brutal/blackish vocals over clean, was born without ears.

:lol: I kind of feel the same way. I'm guessing that most of the death/black maniacs on this board subconsciously feel that they're "less manly" if they listen to metal with clean vocals, and feel a need to challenge themselves or something.

Btw, ohiogrinder, can you fix the misspelling in the thread title? It kinda sets off my OCD receptors.

Billy Corgan is god.

Portishead is darker than most metal.

Judas Priest was the first metal band.

All Black Sabbath records without Dio should be disregarded.

90% of guitar solos are a waste of time.

Shredders are gay as shit.

Stoner doom is the stupidest genre of music. Period.

Most washed up, reunited for the money, cock rock bands generally put "real" metal bands to shame live.

Miljenko Matijevic is the best vocalist in music.

The last three In Flames CD's are better than The Jester Race or Lunar Strain.

Definetly Satch's best song... but then again i don't like his other albums.. Surfing with the Alien was perfection and has never been able to come out with another classic album like that... on another note.. is that Jennifer Connelly in the video? ...

Please tell me Satriani has more interesting songs than that. I haven't listened to him before, and that piece definitely did not get me excited about hearing anything more by him.

I'm cool with mellow rock and all, but I prefer it to have a somewhat mysterious mood to it, not just a simple, ho-hum, "idly-taking-a-walk-through-the-park-while-picking-flowers" mood.