Controversial opinions on metal

Haha, you guys are hilarious! Someone actually posts a controversial opinion and I get told I fail and that I'm retarded!

Like many here, I'm an old school freak when it comes to metal but that also doesn't stop me from delving into contemporary genres such as metalcore and drone doom.

Brutal death metal and grindcore blows.

Oh, definitely. It's what your grandmother thinks metal is.

My opinions:

Judas Priest sold out after Stained Class when they put on the gay bondage leather gear (it's true! Rob Halford even said that's where he got a lot of the costumes!). Painkiller is a mediocre album whose violence doesn't make up for its stupidity. Rob Halford's voice started giving out after the late '70s as well.

Rocka Rolla is an underrated album, although it's no Stained Class.

Slayer and Sepultura were immature, one-dimensional bands with intolerable vocals, crappy riffs, and AWFUL solos. Now they're even worse.

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant sucks somewhat less than Stormblast and a LOT less than the re-recorded Stormblast.

James LaBrie is a very good singer.

John Arch is a terrible singer.

American thrash is better than German thrash.

A Matter of Life and Death is the second best Maiden album ever, right behind Seventh Son.

Geezer Butler is a better bassist than Cliff Burton was.

Nicko McBrain is a better drummer than Clive Burr.

When Dream and Day Unite is Dream Theater's most underappreciated album (controversial among DT fans, at least).

A Blaze in the Northern Sky is the worst thing to ever happen to black metal, not just because of the music itself but also because of the minimalism that it popularized.

And Justice For All is a better album than Kill 'Em All.

Rust in Peace is a better album than Peace Sells.

Some of the ripped-off riffs in the soundtrack for the game Doom are better than the originals in the thrash and groove metal songs they were taken from.

Pagan's Mind is an incredibly boring band that takes the Dream Theater sound and sucks the life and character of it.

Metalcore isn't nearly as bad as nu metal. Perhaps if the trend continues the mainstream might start liking real metal one day.

FAIL AND A HALF! I seriously hope this is a joke
He is better than Rob Halford is now. Rob Halford in 1978 would fu--I mean kick his ass. Rob Halford is so far past his prime that he can barely even approach the high notes that made him famous.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky is the worst thing to ever happen to black metal, not just because of the music itself but also because of the minimalism that it popularized.

Black metal has always been about minimalism.

I don't really understand how so many people could like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They have nothing to do with any kind of extreme metal what-so-ever, so at the least shouldn't all of the people who only like extreme metal also not like Priest and Maiden?

This is completely retarded. Why the hell would anyone want a decent band to become more shit simply to appease the masses?

While we're at it, let's ensure all metal albums are recorded with glossy production so people aren't turned off. All bands should sing in English and tour with Slipknot to get publicity.

You don't have very good reading comprehension skills, eh? I didn't say that d00d.

Cryptopsy's change (in my plan) has nothing to do with appeasing the masses. It has everything to do with getting hardcore kids directly from mtelcore into technical death metal, a genre that a lot of metalheads even find hard to like. Not only does it bring people deeper into metal without all the steps, I like the idea of people being indoctrinated into metal by a legitimately legendary band.

bands like priest and maiden are bands that got metal off the ground and popularized it, from there fans of those bands got into extreme metal bands. whether you like priest of maiden or not, they should be respected for their contributions to metal

edit: 420 posts, roll up that weed son

Minimalism is a huge factor in black metal. I don't really know what you're listening to when referring to "black metal."

Metalcore isn't nearly as bad as nu metal. Perhaps if the trend continues the mainstream might start liking real metal one day.

I don't think metalcore is a bad genre by any means. There are, of course, a handful of shit bands but the good bands in the genre have plenty of integrity for what they do imo.

bands like priest and maiden are bands that got metal off the ground and popularized it, from there fans of those bands got into extreme metal bands. whether you like priest of maiden or not, they should be respected for their contributions to metal

edit: 420 posts, roll up that weed son

Fair enough, but uh... didn't Metallica do that with The Black Album? Didn't Slipknot get a lot of people into extreme metal eventually? How 'bout Def Leppard?

Fair enough, but uh... didn't Metallica do that with The Black Album? Didn't Slipknot get a lot of people into extreme metal eventually? How 'bout Def Leppard?

i dont know any metalheads that dont respect metallica, i dont know alot of people that consider def lep metal and i think slipknot got more people into being juggalos than listening to metal

Minimalism is a huge factor in black metal. I don't really know what you're listening to when referring to "black metal."

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid (the first and only good Dimmu Borgir album)
Ulver - Bergtatt

A lot of those are arguably not black metal and the ones that are aren't technical by any means. Black metal doesn't have to be painfully minimalistic but technicality goes against the genres roots.

I suppose this is fairly controversial, though I don't see why it should be:

Bathory pretty much suck. Blood, Fire, Death had a few decent songs but that's about it.

i dont know any metalheads that dont respect metallica, i dont know alot of people that consider def lep metal and i think slipknot got more people into being juggalos than listening to metal

How many respect The Black Album though? And I know more than a few people who got into extreme metal through Slipknot...