Controversial opinions on metal

No, it's a gimmick. See, at Nile's core, they are a very generic band with absolutely zero to call attention to them outside of the obvious Egyptian gimmick, which is a pure facade and is pretty much throw-away.

And Sepultura are obviously trend-hopping rip-off artists. Sorry if you can't see that. I'd say you are blinded by bias.

man, even without the extra background sounds nile IS original and have GREAT riffs and songs, you dont know what you are talking about. Abour sepultura yeah they followed trends but the early stuff is amazing.

man, even without the extra background sounds nile IS original and have GREAT riffs and songs, you dont know what you are talking about. Abour sepultura yeah they followed trends but the early stuff is amazing.

I actually agree with Karma......

sepultura? sepultura had an original sound and released the best thrash albums ever.

I think Malign was actually fighting on your side when he said that. He's saying that they weren't copying anyone when they began. I could be wrong...

man... if you arent catchy you will NOT be succesful, all succesful bands are so BECAUSE they are catchy, morbid angel, slayer, metallica, nile are ALL catchy, thats the REASON for their success, they have songs and riffs that STICKS to ones head and are GOOD.

Catchy is a matter of perspective. There are plenty of bands who are successful that you despise, so in conclusion: that argument is flawed.

Nile has been around for 16~17 years... That's long enough for me to accept their image isnt really a gimmick any more, unless all death metal lyrics not dealing with gore/violence/satan are a gimmick.

Karl Sanders releases ambient egyptian themed albums, they are fairly high quality, and I think he takes a lot of pride in them. It's not just "added in" imo.

Their lyrics and imagery are also fairly violent and always dark.

man... if you arent catchy you will NOT be succesful, all succesful bands are so BECAUSE they are catchy, morbid angel, slayer, metallica, nile are ALL catchy, thats the REASON for their success, they have songs and riffs that STICKS to ones head and are GOOD.

memorable-riffs-is-what-i-call-catchy-because-it-CATCHES.jpg

No, it's a gimmick. See, at Nile's core, they are a very generic band with absolutely zero to call attention to them outside of the obvious Egyptian gimmick, which is a pure facade and is pretty much throw-away.

Image??? Lyrics??? What? I'm talking about music. I couldn't give half a fuck less about image or lyrics. Who even pays attention to that?

You have no idea what you're talking about do you? :lol:

You have no idea what you're talking about do you? :lol:

I've never seen a picture of Nile and I've never been able to understand a single word of the lyrics. Those aspects of the band are completely irrelevant to what I'm saying. Is my point really that hard for you to grasp? Why? Music is music. Why are you guys still so caught up in the trappings? You'd think people would grow out of that. :lol::lol::lol:

I've never seen a picture of Nile and I've never been able to understand a single word of the lyrics. Those aspects of the band are completely irrelevant to what I'm saying. Is my point really that hard for you to grasp? Why? Music is music. Why are you guys still so caught up in the trappings? You'd think people would grow out of that. :lol::lol::lol:

1. Lyrics are part of the music. Read them with the music playing. Funny you say you can't understand them because most of the time with the exception of Karl Sander's vocals I can make out every word and that's prior to reading the lyrics.

2. Define gimmick.

3. With the logic you're using you would be shitting on the majority of extreme metal. Black metal and satanism isn't gimmicky? Death metal and lyrics about killing people ect isn't gimmicky?

4. Nile has been around for awhile, this is not exactly the latest trend in music right now.

5. Trappings? You seem more concerned about them than anyone else.

1. Lyrics are part of the music. Read them with the music playing. Funny you say you can't understand them because most of the time with the exception of Karl Sander's vocals I can make out every word and that's prior to reading the lyrics.

2. Define gimmick.

3. With the logic you're using you would be shitting on the majority of extreme metal. Black metal and satanism isn't gimmicky? Death metal and lyrics about killing people ect isn't gimmicky?

4. Nile has been around for awhile, this is not exactly the latest trend in music right now.

5. Trappings? You seem more concerned about them than anyone else.

1. Half the metal I listen to is in a language I don't understand. Lyrics are irrelevant to anything I've said.

2. "a gimmick is a quirky feature that distinguishes a product or service without adding any obvious function or value. Thus, a gimmick sells solely on the basis of distinctiveness and may not appeal to the more savvy or shrewd customer."

3. No, that's not even remotely what I've said. Nile is a vanilla death metal band "distinguished" by the presence of gimmicky Egyptian shit. Strip away the trappings and you're left with nothing but a hollow shell of unoriginality.

4. Being around a long time doesn't stop it from being a gimmick. Just a worn out, tired gimmick that should have been retired a long time ago.

5. What?

I always considered something gimmicky only when the same "gimmick"
has been copied by several bands. Since Nile is the first of their kind (egyptian style DM), they are not gimmicky. Thats just their style. Any other band though that copies this style I will consider to be gimmicky.

And how can you not like Sepultura? I guess I can understand if your a new listener to the scene, but still, its fucking classic.

You listen to "the scene". People with discerning tastes listen to the music.

stop getting caught up with semantics. You knew what I meant. :rolleyes: Personally I loven Sepultura. I dont listen to them nearly enough anymore, their time has passed... So I can see why newcomers to these earlier bands wouldn't like them.

I do. And your just missing out if you can't enjoy it