Controversial opinions on metal

Some Sepultura is great, but the Roadrunner thrash albums are incredibly bad, as are many of the upper-second tier albums of that period. There was some very creative and genre-developing thrash still released in the late 80's and early 90's, but it was all ignored in favor of the next old established band to sell their dignity with a Metallica ripoff for fifteen minutes on MTV.

I always considered something gimmicky only when the same "gimmick"
has been copied by several bands. Since Nile is the first of their kind (egyptian style DM), they are not gimmicky. Thats just their style. Any other band though that copies this style I will consider to be gimmicky.

And how can you not like Sepultura? I guess I can understand if your a new listener to the scene, but still, its fucking classic.

You obviously don't understand gimmicks then.

stop getting caught up with semantics. You knew what I meant. :rolleyes: Personally I loven Sepultura. I dont listen to them nearly enough anymore, their time has passed... So I can see why newcomers to these earlier bands wouldn't like them.

I do. And your just missing out if you can't enjoy it

I don't like thrash metal, at all. I'm mostly interested in black, death, and doom metal.

Shit son you probably listen to flowery pompous bullshit like Of Empires Forlorn don't you

No, I haven't really understood the love for While Heaven Wept. They sound like a second-rate mixture of Solstice and Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian.

I thought everyone in the world had forgotten about Fleurety

That's the one with the ridiculously high pitched condor shrieks, right? I used to troll my youngest brother by blasting that.

Fleurety had a couple full lengths that were pretty awesome. Min Tid Skal Komme is a pretty unique jazzy somewhat proggy black metal album and Department of Apocalyptic Affairs was kind of a bandwagon jump onto that whole "we used to be black metal but now we're some kind of electronic / trip hop / whatever mix" but was still pretty damn good.

But yeah the demos and shit, I compared the vocals to a banshee. And yeah, I trolled my brother with them too but the song that worked the best to troll him was Third Person Plural off the Solefald album Neonism. That sent him into a blind rage every time.

No, I haven't really understood the love for While Heaven Wept. They sound like a second-rate mixture of Solstice and Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian.

i agree, 'cept for me that's a reason for really really liking them. :)

agreed about nile being propped up by the egyptian gimmick at times, but on a number of occasions they have also shown songwriting chops and ingenuity, so credit where it's due.

early anathema is pretty wank, though probably their best material. can't be doing with this horribly sentimental, stilted, plodding, limp-wristed melancholy, if you're going for sorrow then i want it to be raw and sharp and intense, warning-style.

now, stuff like ceremonium, fleshcrawl's debut, disembowelment, that i can get behind.

I'd rather listen to Serenades, Pentecost III, Crestfallen, or The Silent Enigma over Warning, definitely. Early Anathema was almost uniformly excellent. I like the rest of their material too but I listen to their early days approximately 20x as often.