Controversial opinions on metal

I've never heard of Lifelover, but surely they are better than shitty retro thrash.

EDIT: "Black metal/depressive rock"? <General Burkhalter>Perhaps I was a bit hasty.</General Burkhalter>

That was better than Burzum.
smile.gif

That's the one with the ridiculously high pitched condor shrieks, right? I used to troll my youngest brother by blasting that.

I still wonder if perhaps the band had actually instead just recorded hours of tires screeching in a parcade and used them for the vocals. Or perhaps a bird of that sort. :p

Definitely, the most ridiculous vocals I've ever heard.

I think Malign was actually fighting on your side when he said that. He's saying that they weren't copying anyone when they began. I could be wrong...

Catchy is a matter of perspective. There are plenty of bands who are successful that you despise, so in conclusion: that argument is flawed.

hmm well some of the bands i hate are still catchy in their own way, for example mainstream shit bands like offspring, red hot chili peppers(im talking about music in general, not just metal) are still catchy. Its a matter of taste yes but in order to succeed one needs to have catchy memorable songs.

hmm well some of the bands i hate are still catchy in their own way, for example mainstream shit bands like offspring, red hot chili peppers(im talking about music in general, not just metal) are still catchy. Its a matter of taste yes but in order to succeed one needs to have catchy memorable songs.

What do you mean by "success?" Financial success, or just influential success? I mean, I think Primordial have memorable, catchy songs, but not everyone would agree (stfu Rick). So to me, they're successful; but I wouldn't say they're rolling on money. I consider Primordial to be successful because they're unique and influential.

why is it ever month or few weeks or so some dude comes in and just starts running his mouth about every little thing and this thread jumps like 30 pages over stupid shit?

Music is art. Talking about art as a commodity where one has to reach success leaves a sour feeling in the pit of my stomach. That should never be your goal.

absolutely. if you want success study the formulae such as this one http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...DqHBVnMf2t7w%26feature%3Dshare&h=596a4&ref=nf
and copy it making sure you get someone hot to sing it.

but music is about much more than that. i want the music i record and perform to be a legacy of me myself and the moments i lived through. and i want it to be good, as in, to make me feel a certain way when i listen to it, and for it to be a complete representation of what i want to project of myself to others. it's gotta be about yourself first.

I listen to pretty catchy metal bands, but than am also a pop/rock fan. I would not consider bands like Nile or really anything Karmablade likes to be catchy. I just find it funny someone who looks at music from a technical standpoint to be going on about music that is catchy.

as for the "catchy" debate, if something is well written it will catch the ear and engage your heart. a lotta stuff that is catchy i hate myself for remembering cos it's so slick and soulless and formulaic, makes me curse my inherent human weakness for a set procession of notes.

man, even without the extra background sounds nile IS original and have GREAT riffs and songs, you dont know what you are talking about. Abour sepultura yeah they followed trends but the early stuff is amazing.

if anyones taste sucks its yours, you dont even like nile...
i listen to a lot of bands, suffocation, morbid angel, hate eternal, gorguts, luciferion, death, old slayer, old metallica, vader, behemoth, dim mak, hatebreed, Queen, 80s, classical etc

are you sure you like metal? doesnt sound like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect