Controversial opinions on metal

The self-titled is pretty class, but DSEV is... eh. As big of a Burzum fanboi I am, I only really like a couple tracks on it. :/

I cannot explain it for the life of me but some albums have some sort of a strange nostalgic quality to them. Listening to them reminds me of something, it's like feelings of deja vu but I do not know where or of what specifically. They just manage to remind of feelings, imagery, thoughts, or dreams I had from much earlier times in my life like before I was even into music. Even a simple track like "Han Som Reiste." Maybe the cheap synth sound used there appeals to me but the self-titled album and Det Som Engang Var I find are quite atmospheric despite not having the more prominent synth use of later Burzum albums. But the self-titled album is probably my favourite.

Yeah. I can see that, definitely.

I dunno. The second just never connected with me, and that's why I'm not really that big of a fan, aside from select tracks.

Both Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem are overrated in relation to the first two albums, which are Burzum's real peaks. While HLTO and F are certainly quality albums, they lack the combination of twisted darkness and atmosphere that made Burzum so special, instead dropping the morbid tone and going only for the latter.

"Det Som En Gang Var" is still Burzum's best song.

And now, for something really controversial: the single "Gateways" off of Dimmu's new one is so much fun to listen to. Literally, I smile from ear to ear upon hearing it, but I enjoy it. It's just so campy and theatrical. And the last minute or so of the song is great.

It's interesting to me to read everyone's thoughts on Burzum, because they show that Burzum is what popped your black metal cherries. My phase of obsessing about black metal didn't involve Burzum at all, and I only began to appreciate Varg's music after I put black metal on the back burner. Early albums by Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Satyricon were my world in the late 1990's when I listened to a lot of black metal. I bought into the Mayhem/Burzum rivalry of that day, and made the ignorant decision to ignore Burzum. Now I hate 80% of Mayhem's music and love everything I've heard by Burzum. If there is any Norwegian band I have a soft spot for, it has still got to be Emperor.

I'm to crucial about guitar playing to like Norwegian BM, especially say Burzum.

It's interesting to me to read everyone's thoughts on Burzum, because they show that Burzum is what popped your black metal cherries. My phase of obsessing about black metal didn't involve Burzum at all, and I only began to appreciate Varg's music after I put black metal on the back burner. Early albums by Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Satyricon were my world in the late 1990's when I listened to a lot of black metal. I bought into the Mayhem/Burzum rivalry of that day, and made the ignorant decision to ignore Burzum. Now I hate 80% of Mayhem's music and love everything I've heard by Burzum. If there is any Norwegian band I have a soft spot for, it has still got to be Emperor.

I've always liked Burzum and considered Burzum to be above the rest of the Norwegian bands. Filosofem was the first album I bought by Burzum and it appealed to me right away, the earlier stuff took me a bit longer to obtain and get into. Though I remember people would say not to listen to Burzum because Varg was a "racist nazi" etc. but I was never really the kind of person to care about others' perceptions/assumptions.

Of all the Norwegian bands, Emperor and Mayhem were hardest for me to get into. Initially, I found Emperor's music to be too convoluted with the whole wall-of-sound and heavy layering. I eventually got into Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, and later on I would get into In the Nightside Eclipse.

As for Mayhem...Aside from a couple of releases, I had just honestly thought most of their material was garbage so I didn't pay much attention to them. I still don't hold Mayhem to as high a regard as most people do but I have a lot more respect for them than I did before.

Is anything post DMDS-Mayhem worth even hearing? I heard Grand Declaration years ago when it was released and didn't think anything of it, but I may enjoy it now. THat being said, I still havent heard Deathcrush. Should I?

Emperor certainly stands shoulders above the rest, with their first two albums and the split with Enslaved.

Enslaved to me, though, has always seemed like the mature adult in a room full of angst ridden kids, in regards to the early to mid nineties Norwegian releases.

In my opinion Burzum and Ulver is the best thing to come out of the norwegian wave of black metal. Hvis Lyset tar oss and Bergtatt are and will always be immortal classics of black metal.

Is anything post DMDS-Mayhem worth even hearing? I heard Grand Declaration years ago when it was released and didn't think anything of it, but I may enjoy it now. THat being said, I still havent heard Deathcrush. Should I?

Emperor certainly stands shoulders above the rest, with their first two albums and the split with Enslaved.

Enslaved to me, though, has always seemed like the mature adult in a room full of angst ridden kids, in regards to the early to mid nineties Norwegian releases.

You should definitely give Deathcrush a listen. It's worth it, at least the first half for sure. Even if you don't like it, it will only cost you 20 mins of your time.

And Enslaved, despite being the youngest band of the bunch, probably was the most mature.

DMDS is a classic of course but not an album I heard when I got into black metal. And even though I enjoy it judging by all the praise Attila gets I think he's way overrated.

Wolfs Lair Abyss was my introduction to Mayhem and I really like it. Its short but very sweet. I understand that Maniac is very disliked among fans but I like this release.

Grand Decleration of War is Mayhems most experiemental efffort. Very sterile and mechanical in botn sound and performance. One of the earlier industrial black metal albums. I enjoy this one alot as well even though it is a little bit to long.

Ordo Ad Chao went back to a muddier production but it is highly experimental and does take a new approach. I find Attilla better on this one than on DMDS but that might be just me. I think overall that the sound hurts this release but I still enjoy it.

The rest I havent heard enough of. I find Mayhem very interesting in that they have developed quite abit and havent really been afraid of trying new thing throughout their carreer.

was that the single they released? If so then I disagree. I thought it was awful.

I'm talking about the opening track on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

In my opinion Burzum and Ulver is the best thing to come out of the norwegian wave of black metal. Hvis Lyset tar oss and Bergtatt are and will always be immortal classics of black metal.

Two great records. In the Nightside Eclipse still wins out for me, though. I'm an Emperor fanboy.

I've never really enjoyed Mayhem. Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse is great though, and so are Enslaved. My favourite Burzum album is Filosofem. And I think Nattens Madrigal is better than Bergtatt.

Naw dude, Still Life al the way.
Orchid is the Opeth record I enjoy the most.