Controversial opinions on metal

I love the whole album. My Death is one of my favorite Mayhem tracks actually. They played it in Toronto when I saw them last year and it sounded huge, larger than life. And as much as I like Maniac, Attila rocked it harder. Fuckin' awesome.

And Justice For All seems dragged out just because. There's not as much going on compared to their other albums and it makes no sense.

It's interesting to see how the scene's assessment of Burzum and Mayhem has shifted over time. In the mid and late 1990s, there was a definite tendency among those metal fans who enjoyed black metal (still in those days a distinct minority) to prefer Mayhem to Burzum. These days, that preference is Burzum. To some degree, I think this is because Burzum's music is simply better, but took more time for people to really process. And there was that whole murder/arson/jail thingy.

Still, I wonder if Mayhem's higher profile in the 1990s also reflects the demographic shift in the black metal audience since that time. The bulk of the (knowledgeable) fans in those days were definitely more like an old school "heavy metal" crowd, basically more blue collar, and their listening history was pretty much exclusively metal, unless they had a smattering of interest in grind and hardcore. The audience now skews more middle/upper middle class, white collar (IT guys wanna go analog sometimes, too), and way more likely to have something in their listening history other than metal. Burzum's basic sound is less rooted in traditional metal technique, and by Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem, there was almost as much convergence with ambient music, darker dream pop (Dead Can Dance?) and even shoegaze as there was with metal (although I suspect the dream pop and shoegaze similarities are examples of parallel evolution rather than direct influence). Mayhem, on the other hand, was always the Norwegian band most like the metal that preceded it.

or it could be simply that Mayhem only have one good album while Burzum has 5.

No way, man. The Black Album is good, but it's not comparable to any of the first four albums imo. BTW hope this doesn't turn into another endless Metallica discussion. :loco:

Ride The Lightning tops it for me. AJFA is as someone said, just too dragged out and pretty... meaningless at places? MoP. Great album.

AJFA has actually grown on me a lot lately. I didn't like it when I was really getting into Metallica and completely forgot about it once I started getting into all sorts of third-tier thrash, but revisiting it reminded me of how good it was. A couple minutes could probably be shaved off, but there's a lot more to it than all the long-thrash clones that came a few years later. And I don't understand why people say Kill 'Em All is their thrashiest and heaviest album, because AJFA is basically 100% thrash except for the first half of One and whatever other acoustic/melodic intro parts there are.