Controversial opinions on metal

I highly disagree, Kill Em All is pretty godawful, and Ride The Lightning, although being their peak, still has filler tracks.

Kill 'Em All is extremely overrated as a thrash-defining masterpiece (it's mostly just NWOBHM worship with the latest-written songs deriving more from Venom) but I don't see how it can be described as godawful. Thrash debuts generally derive their esteemed status more from their youthful energy than anything else, and Kill 'Em All is full of it. And the "filler" on Ride the Lightning is still much more than good. Complaining of it is of equal poserdom as complaining of "Fillerslave".

I highly disagree, Kill Em All is pretty godawful, and Ride The Lightning, although being their peak, still has filler tracks.

Oh how very controversial of you. :rolleyes:

So alot of these newer bands playing new "old school" death metal are just watered down versions of the original stuff and the only people that truly love them are hanging on to the late 80s and early 90s too hard. I've noticed several of them trying to emulate immolation and incantation. Just listen to immolation or incantation.

So alot of these newer bands playing new "old school" death metal are just watered down versions of the original stuff and the only people that truly love them are hanging on to the late 80s and early 90s too hard. I've noticed several of them trying to emulate immolation and incantation. Just listen to immolation or incantation.

This applies to pretty much all revival metal.

UlimateMetal's Controversial Topics - Metallica

Featuring all the classic controversial topics...

Metallica, are they overrated?
Did they steal Dave Mustaine's riffs?
Are they still relevant?
Is Master of Puppets their best album?
Is St. Anger actually listenable?
Do the vocals suck?
BACON, and much more...

Stay tuned for information on next weeks "Controversial Topics - Opeth"

I wish I could filter out all the posts that have Metallica in them. I should invent this...

No way, man. The Black Album is good, but it's not comparable to any of the first four albums imo. BTW hope this doesn't turn into another endless Metallica discussion. :loco:

I'd pretty much put the black album on equal footing with AJFA (and Death Magnetic for that matter). If I had to list my favorite Metallica releases in order of preference, it would be:

Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Kill Em All
And Justice For All
Metallica
Death Magnetic
ReLoad
Load
St. Anger

But yeah, let's cut the whole Metallica discussion short. I just wanted to give credit to an album that I feel gets beat up on a little too often.

UlimateMetal's Controversial Topics - Metallica

Featuring all the classic controversial topics...

Are they still relevant?
Do the vocals suck?
BACON, and much more...

Stay tuned for information on next weeks "Controversial Topics - Opeth"

:lol:

I'll throw out another topic:
I love Pantera. Most people here hate them, and the few who actually listen to them on occasion insist that Cowboys From Hell or Power Metal are their best. I disagree. Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's all time best.

I love AJFA because IMO, it's the most sophisticated, well-written, classy, and cohesive album the band had ever put out.

I'll throw out another topic:
I love Pantera. Most people here hate them, and the few who actually listen to them on occasion insist that Cowboys From Hell or Power Metal are their best. I disagree. Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's all time best.

Awesome! Although Vulgar Display's actually my favorite. It's got the most tracks I enjoy.

Are they still relevant?
Do the vocals suck?
BACON, and much more...

By the mainstream, yes. On your typical metal forum, they are underrated.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
Bacon sucks.

EDIT: Cowboys > * Pantera, although the two after and one before are all plenty fine as well. There's just a lot more variety in songs and the vocal performance is untouchable.

I think metalcore and screamo is awesome. I also think Slayer stole their name from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or their name was at least influenced by it.

I barely listen to them anymore but I agree that Far Beyond Driven and Vulgar Display are solid albums.