Controversial opinions on metal

It wasnt directed towards me but Ill answer.

I first listened to hard rock when in 1988 and progressed to metal during 1993 or so. To me lyrics was always an important part. You dont have to agree with everything but just random mumbo jumbo wont do it. Cannibal Corpse is a good example. Although Im no big fan of the music anyway. But shitty written lyrics usually equals me not bying the record unless the music is really, really good.

I also hate certain themes. Party music - sex, drygn and rock n roll - is an automatic "no, no" for me.

To totally disregard such a big aspect of music is weird to me. One reason Immortal sounds cold to people are because of the lyrics. Many bands define themselves with their lyrics. People thought dark funeral were posers almost from the start because of the lyrics as well. Its a big part of the music.

i agree with a lot of what you said. lyrics tend to win me over most of the time. but if i like the music enough i will let it slide from time to time.

Dimmu Borgir doesn't deserve half the shit talk they get compared to the sea of shitty newer metal bands out at the moment.

August burns red sounds fucking amazing at times. matt greiner is one hell of a drummer.

i hate behemoth
i hate gorgoroth

metallica is a bunch of overrated jackoffs, ride the lightning is the only contradiction. not to mention they've sold out more than hannah montanna.

I worship Alexi Laiho

The best guitarist to ever live was Tony Macalpine.

immortals music video's are fucking awesome.

i am a rush fanboy, and just paid 200 dollars for tickets to their show in Toledo.

Yo Euronymous I'ma let you finish but Dimmu Borgir's career was the biggest black metal murder of all time. RIP 1994-1997

Some deathcore is good but August Burns Red is shit

Behemoth > You
Gorgoroth's first few albums > You

Metallica's first four albums are metal masterpieces. If you disagree you have a fundamental misunderstanding of metal.

I like Alexi too but "OMG ALEKSIIIIIIII" is bullshit we don't tolerate here. On the flipside though, people saying he's a "soulless shredder" or a "fucking loser" are equally homosexual.

No.

Immortal's music videos are good for comedy value. But still an awesome band.

Rush is pretty cool, yes.

idk, lyrics are not much of a bother to me.

If it sounds good to me then he could be singing about Having cowboy butt sex for all I care :p

I see no point in completely disregarding lyrics, I think it's equally as dumb as letting lyrics sell a song for you. If a DM song spoke of gay cowboy buttsex throughout the whole song I probably would think that's a bit retarded.

If it was musically good, I'd still listen to it, but I would recognize it as a major fault/flaw.

Calmer than you are

I sincerely doubt that

Behemoth aren't truly Satanic at all anymore...
Also not really black metal at all anymore.
But seriously, all their lyrics are about either Crowley and Thelema, various mythologies, or some shit like that...some references to Satanism, but pretty much only as a symbol for individualism. Certainly no devil-worship. Really, not that many black metal bands are less Satanic.

I thought they were always pagan, just going off the symbols they use

i srsly dont get the hate on alexi laiho. sure hes pretty damn mainstream atm, but hes got my respect. he takes a lot of inspiration from classical music and frankly, unless your a shred fan, u don't see that too often.

and anyone who can play as good as him that decides to get piss drunk on stage and just shred away a sick solo on the spot for a while is cool with me.

and of course hes a big headed jackass. who gives a fuck. were metal heads. fuck the public. ud do the same.

Beoftw: The problem is not with Alexi Laiho (at least with any sane metalhead), it's the fans that worship the ground he walks on.

Sapar: Don't post bad opinions then. :S He's definitely a mediocre guitar player but to say he's a "fucking loser" just isn't correct. His tunes are fun, end of.

Yeah, at least you provided something rational for me to chew on. I like him as a guitar player/songwriter, and disagree entirely but I can't argue with that.