Controversial opinions on metal

Anyone that says Armageddon, Reaper, Sacrifice, etc are any more black metal than the thrashier Venom songs or Destruction's debut EP is deaf.

Yea, it means Greek...

I was just saying that I find that whole Hellenic style more like death/doom that black metal. It's not that important, its still good music. Granted I haven't listened to much "Hellenic black metal" beyond Varathron, so they could just be an exception.

EDIT:
stuff like this doesn't sound very black metal to me

Last edited by a moderator:
stuff like this doesn't sound very black metal to me

Why? I often see a lot of people say things like this about the early Greek and Czech black metal scenes, but a lot of the time it stems from those in question falsely believing the Norwegian sound to be the only canonical template for second wave black metal. The problem is that this view completely overlooks essential regional and temporal factors that are crucial in understanding the lineage of the melting pot of styles we now lump under the banner of "black metal".

Proto Black metal, 1st wave of black metal, 2nd wave of black metal, 3rd way of black metal, black 'n roll ... this is just laughable.