Controversial opinions on metal

Here's a controversial opinion: Bathory's s/t is the worst of the first five.

I basically agree. It's the most repetitious and gets old a couple of songs in. But you have to appreciate it for what it is. Quorthon was trying to develope a newer sound not push the boundries of what was possible musically.

It feels to me like "A Fine Day To Die" and "Blood Fire Death" were the only new songs on BFD, while the others were written even before Under the Sign of the Black Mark. I wish he had written some more songs like those two for Blood Fire Death.

It feels to me like "A Fine Day To Die" and "Blood Fire Death" were the only new songs on BFD, while the others were written even before Under the Sign of the Black Mark. I wish he had written some more songs like those two for Blood Fire Death.

Agreed. Although I love the older styles, these two songs are really the only two songs that define the album as a transition album, and they are damn good. Should have been more.

Hammerheart is the second worst. He did Manowar worship better than Venom worship, but it's still an overrated and overly-credited album.

Wow. I completely agree with you. But I also agree with MalignParadigm in that associating "worst" with "Bathory" feels questionable.