Controversial opinions on metal

HamburgerBoy is right.

Anvil is extremely overrated, mediocre 80s heavy metal, and I still don't see how Metal On Metal inspired "OMG ZO MANY BANDZ!"

Exciter is pretty bland too. Traditional metal is a lot like thrash in that if a band wasn't a pioneer, they have to incorporate other elements (even if minor ones) to not be boring as hell. Both suffer from some very vanilla music.

'Atmospheric shoegaze/post-rock black metal' is really not that different from Relaxing Music Vol. 16 or your average soundtrack with whale sounds or other sounds of nature. It's basically music for people who want to hide from the world by crawling under a blanket and falling asleep.

'Atmospheric shoegaze/post-rock black metal' is really not that different from Relaxing Music Vol. 16 or your average soundtrack with whale sounds or other sounds of nature. It's basically music for people who want to hide from the world by crawling under a blanket and falling asleep.

That's pretty much what I do when I really lie down to listen to an album with no distractions. :p

There are select few "shoegaze/post-rock BM" bands that are actually pretty great, but for the most part, yes, this is true.

I like to listen to that type of stuff late at night, especially if i can't sleep. Certain music takes on a different presence when you're in that tired-but-cant-sleep zone.

guess i should provide some evidence

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_uC1xCOIhE&fmt=18[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJRfGilzag&fmt=18[/ame]

deathpantera08 said it best: one of the greatest song in Heavy Metal Maniac Album!!this is true metal and true metal is the best and the law!!

vast, smouldering stuff. most of the other speedier stuff of the time didn't understand how to create space and presence by letting your ideas breathe and build, just assuming that maintaining a breakneck pace and lurching all over the place was enough. these guys knew better. also gotta love the bass on some of those songs. not a 'great' band of course, they lack the originality for that, but a very classy band who knew what the fuck they were doing.

I think I've said this before but I hate the Dimmu Borgir cover of Metal Heart by Accept and I hate all the faggots who think it in anyway improves upon the original.

suidakra still exists, and makes good music? you holding out hope for another new soilwork while you're at it andy?

Soilwork put out a (really fucking awesome) album last year, so, not really (not so soon anyway)...maybe 2012/2013 ;)

Suidakra had one dud with Command to Charge which was pretty awful...but Caledonia and Crogacht were really good efforts with a pretty sweet return to form for Arkadius who I think it's safe to say everyone was scared for with CtC (coming off the heels of the badass Signs for the Fallen).