Controversial opinions on metal

Hide and Seek/Imprisoned in Flesh is my favorite Cathedral song. Happy the fuck up in this bitch.

Haven't really given them a listen though aside from the Serpent's Gold/Serpent's Chest 2 CD set... which I didn't even really get into aside from 2-3 other tracks.

I guess I just have a sweet spot for heavy metal. I know its shameful to say, but Enforcer and White Wizzard are better than a lot of the bands from the original NWOBHM, which brought a flood of bands with dull musicianship and glam rock appeal.

Enforcer and White Wizzard lack originality, but their music is well executed and imo some pretty solid heavy metal. I dont really see whats so bad about a band wanting to play heavy metal as opposed to black, death, or doom metal; I feel like a lot of people are missing out on some decent heavy metal because of some preconceived notion of elitism towards traditional heavy metal.

I know its shameful to say, but Enforcer and White Wizzard are better than a lot of the bands from the original NWOBHM, which brought a flood of bands with dull musicianship and glam rock appeal.

Nothing shameful about that. A lot of the NWOBHM was glorified hard rock and the quality nose-dives when you get out of the most major bands. At the same time, the revival bands don't come remotely close to touching the bands that actually were good, i.e. Satan, Cloven Hoof, Hell, etc.

EDIT: I think I agree with your point overall though, that traditional metal revivalists are no worse than those of any other metal sub-genre. Anything is better than black or doom metal rehashery.

there's a higher great-to-mediocre ratio in the original nwobhm movement than there is in the 'nwobhm revival' movement. neither ratio is particularly high but you could say the same in any genre really.

Heh, me and couple of guys I know have been wanting to start a traditional metal styled band.

What are some good revival bands?

At its low point, metalcore is very much an opiate of the masses, something bros listen to to get an adrenaline rush. At its high point, bands like converge, starkweather and gaza provide something all fans of extreme music can enjoy.

The next inevitable power couple in extreme music is black metal/ambidjent.

Hall of the Mountain King would be better without "Strange Wings" and "Prelude to Madness". Cirith Ungol's and Blitzkrieg's covers of Bach's "Tocatta" are far more tasteful 'metal' renditions of classical pieces, just off the top of my head.

:(

Those aren't my favorite songs on the album, but nearly the entire thing is godly. The last two (and a half) are the unfitting ones to me. Most of the album has a really large/triumphant feel that their (still perfect) earlier material didn't have, with lead fills everywhere and the songs having some pretty pronounced bridge sections. White Witch and Devastation are kickass, but typical metal.

I really love that album, its practically flawless. But those songs do seem a little unnecessary. They could've picked a better song to lead into the title track.

It seems my love of Tool has been rekindled,I stated in the albums kicking your ass thread that i regarded Ark's Burn The Sun as my favourite progressive album and it is damn great but surely Tool are the best progressive band.I'm only just clicking with 10,000 Days.It seems i've left their latter albums for a rainy day type reason but fuck me...Tool create epics of the progressive kind and i'm inclined to say they are the best around if not ever.