Controversial opinions on metal

Hall of the Mountain King would be better without "Strange Wings" and "Prelude to Madness". Cirith Ungol's and Blitzkrieg's covers of Bach's "Tocatta" are far more tasteful 'metal' renditions of classical pieces, just off the top of my head.

I agree about Prelude. I always liked Strange Wings, though. Sure, it's the poppy commercial song, but it's pretty catchy. It's placement in the tracklist may be imperfect, however.

It seems my love of Tool has been rekindled,I stated in the albums kicking your ass thread that i regarded Ark's Burn The Sun as my favourite progressive album and it is damn great but surely Tool are the best progressive band.I'm only just clicking with 10,000 Days.It seems i've left their latter albums for a rainy day type reason but fuck me...Tool create epics of the progressive kind and i'm inclined to say they are the best around if not ever.

Undertow would be a much better album if it didn't crash Windows Media Player each time it got into the one-second tracks.

Just remove them from the playlist ffs, then you can skip to Disgustipated, which is genius.

Also, sloughfegkillers, that's awesome dude. I love 10,000 Days...in fact, I'll probably relisten to it and my Lateralus DLP tomorrow!

Sweet as mate!!Tool are certainly something special...10,000 Days is amazing,i'm kind've kicking myself that I did'nt get into this sooner.Better late than never though.

No unfortunately,was that at the big day out?Sounds like you got to see them though ya lucky bugger!! I bet they'd be amazing live,i think i'll have to make a point of seeing them live at some stage.

No unfortunately,was that at the big day out?Sounds like you got to see them though ya lucky bugger!! I bet they'd be amazing live,i think i'll have to make a point of seeing them live at some stage.

I saw them at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, they came on as the sun was setting. The sound was unbelievable. Fucking huge as all fuck but you could still hear every hi-hat accent. And the visuals were out of this world. Best show I've seen in a long long time.

I saw Tool on the Lateralus tour. Very, VERY loud. Frustrating setlist. Didn't make me feel as I thought it might. Great show though.

When I saw them promoting 10,000 days, someone threw a bottle at Maynard and he proceeded to turn his back to the crowd for the rest of the night. Their setlist was lame as well...they didn't play a single track from Undertow.

I saw Tool last year for their summer tour and their last stop was in LA. Their sound was absolutely immaculate.

Their set was pretty good, playing mostly songs from anything but Undertow...We were graced with one song from that album and I was sure for shit we would atleast hear Prison Sex or Sober, but all we got was Intolerance...

Their music live combined with their live visual show impressed the fuck out of me. I will definately see them again.

That was my first reaction at first listen, but came to love the album with more and more with every other listen. Black Lake, Ghosts of Midwinter Fires and Into the Painted Grey are great tracks.

I dislike any band that takes pain and misery so seriously to the point of ruin. Granted I will listen and can relate to that time of my life but I'm over that hump (even over the hill).

Gorguts is a fav of mine. Devin Townshend and his ideas are good. I enjoy humor in my music.