Controversial opinions on metal

I actualy really like something wicked but I could have done without the last 20 minutes of the album. It isnt that great and I rarely bother to listen to tracks 11-13.

What PhlegethonVeins said... 11-13 are my favorite tracks on the album. The track I would remove, if anything, is Burning Times... decent track but lackluster compared to the rest of the album.

While all of the first four Rotting Christ albums are pretty great, A Dead Poem is definitely the best. Dunno if that's controversial, but I usually don't hear love for anything but Thy Mighty Contract and Non Serviam.

Opeth's obvious and supercial "prog" elements outshine the fact that their songwriting is mediocre.

Agalloch is a post-rock band marketed at metal fans.

Drudkh were a right place, right time band. For the style they play they're very average.

The production on Nightside in the Eclipse ruins the otherwise good music.

St. Anger was a good album, if inconsistant.

Brave New World and Dance of Death are just as good as anything Maiden did in the 80s.

Enmity and Last Days of the Humanity are both amazing.

Colombia is home of the best brutal death metal.

Unspoken King wasn't bad.

There are lots of good deathcore and metalcore bands.

I grew up on nu-metal and still love a lot of those bands.

Burzum post-prison sucks.

Darkthrone sucked when they turned into a rock band.

Death is overrated and Chuck developed some terrible vocals in the 90s.

Thrash influence in black and death metal tends to be a bad thing.

Carnivorous Vagina are better than Mortician despite them basically being a worship band.

Sepultura did some interesting stuff after Max left.

Mr. Bungle is about as low as music can get. I rate my favourite artists by how unlike Mr. Bungle they sound.

Cannibal Corpse are talented as fuck and have wrote classic after classic. When you get past their whole "omg cannibal corpse" and their legacy and look at the album's individually they're strong and consistant throughout.

Early Cradle of Filth is fantastic (especially Dusk upto and including Midian).

Probably more but that's all I can think of right now.

It's In the Nightside Eclipse. Anyway, I disagree. I think the production on that album is absolutely perfect for what they were doing. I can stand a little loss in clarity for the gain in atmosphere that the production brings. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm actually not sure that your opinion is very controversial, because I hear people complain about ITNE's production all the time. I'm actually baffled by the complaints. I've loved everything about that album since the first time I heard it over a decade ago.

I pretty much agree.

Agreed. You would think this wouldn't be controversial, but it probably is because so many people seem to like the newer Darkthrone stuff. I can't for the life of me understand why.

Opeth's obvious and supercial "prog" elements outshine the fact that their songwriting is mediocre.

Blah blah you dont like opeth we fucking get it.

I really dont have a problem with this. Post-rock isnt something so negative.

:puke:

Brave New World and Dance of Death are just as good as anything Maiden did in the 80s.

Not at all. Iron Maiden is kinda boring though.

Enmity and Last Days of the Humanity are both amazing.

Enmity are good, yes. LDoH, not so much.

Colombia is home of the best brutal death metal.

No. Alot of BDM fans worship this stuff. For the most part, I hate it.

No and no. A few good bands at best.

Nah, they're just different now. They changed and it hurt your feelings.

Death was a good band. No shit they're overrated but they were still damn good.

Black/Thrash bores the shit out of me but early death/thrash is great stuff.

Carnivorous Vagina are better than Mortician despite them basically being a worship band.

Just no.

Cannibal Corpse are talented as fuck and have wrote classic after classic. When you get past their whole "omg cannibal corpse" and their legacy and look at the album's individually they're strong and consistant throughout.

I agree with this. Cannibal corpse doesnt get the love here they deserve, imo.

If it wasnt for Dani Filth I'd agree. His vocals are atrocious.

Even Khronos is awesome.
They're a pretty damn awesome band.

NO OPETH DISCUSSION
What else is news? They happen to be pretty good, so fuck off.
It's In the Nightside Eclipse. Anyway, I disagree. I think the production on that album is absolutely perfect for what they were doing. I can stand a little loss in clarity for the gain in atmosphere that the production brings. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm actually not sure that your opinion is very controversial, because I hear people complain about ITNE's production all the time. I'm actually baffled by the complaints. I've loved everything about that album since the first time I heard it over a decade ago.
I think there were actually a couple pretty damn good songs on there, but nowhere near enough for a full album and the crap is just inexcusably bad.
Brave New World...just as good as anything Maiden did in the 80s.
Better.
Where are they hiding?
Then you didn't grow up.
Lies.

What isn't better than Mortician?
The only thing worth hearing from the Barnes era is Tomb of the Mutilated. Butchered At Birth is a lesser version of TotM, the debut is fucking awful, and everything they did with him after TotM is just weak, bad vocals and weak production for weak bland death metal. Haven't heard everything with Fisher, but a lot of it is pretty bad. Kill is damn good, though.
It's alright, but those vocals are fucking inexcusably bad.

I agree, the whole "LOOK LOL WE JUST PLACED A SOFT SECTION NEXT TO A HEAVY SECTION, WE ARE PROG AS FUCK" shit that I find in a lot of Opeth is just... fucking boring.

I pretty much agree. Decent band, but only a few songs excite me tbh, and they're all on Ashes. :/

Drudkh were a right place, right time band. For the style they play they're very average.

No, that's dumb. That doesn't even warrant a more thought-out rebuttal.

The production is a bit muddy... it's not bad though, to say that it "ruins" the music is just... I don't know man.

I like a few songs from St. Anger (Frantic, the title track, the Unnamed Feeling), so I get where you're coming from.

Yes it was. The vocalist isn't bad, in fact I think he's pretty groovy but the album is shit, man.

A few, yes. Lots of? I wouldn't say so. I can count the number of deathcore/metalcore bands I listen to on my fingers tbh.

Son... :erk:

No, that's idiocy.

Circle the Wagons was pretty shitty, but the aside from that one, Darkthrone has always been good. Don't be dumb.

I can agree.

Black thrash is awesome.

Only the first four are of any worth IMO.

Cradle of Filth is practically a comedy band IMO, but different strokes I guess.

Where are they hiding?

• Between the Buried and Me (although it could be debated they've lost their "core" status by now)
  • The Black Dahlia Murder isn't the greatest, but it's not bad either.
  • Deathcore-era Job For a Cowboy is pretty good.
  • All that Remains
  • Some Unearth isn't bad.

• Between the Buried and Me (although it could be debated they've lost their "core" status by now)
  • The Black Dahlia Murder isn't the greatest, but it's not bad either.
  • Deathcore-era Job For a Cowboy is pretty good.
  • All that Remains
  • Some Unearth isn't bad.

That's not lots. I know there are a few.
The good black dahlia murder stuff is the first album, which is pure AtG worship without any core crap. Deathcore era JfaC is pretty shit, Unearth are pretty shit, BtBaM are pretty shit and not particularly core, and...no opinion on AtR, I don't listen to them. Saw them live once and they sucked, though.

lol, you don't have to reply with angry rebuttals, this is a thread called controversial metal opinions afterall, I don't expect everyone to agree.

lol, you don't have to reply with angry rebuttals, this is a thread called controversial metal opinions afterall, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Hahaha, you call that an angry rebuttal?
Just wait and see when someone around here gets actually pissed off. Try trolling Personified Hatred, pretty much anything will set him off. He'll probably send me a PM when he sees this post...

I forgot KSE... but to say that BTBAM's only good album is the first is ridiculous, especially when it's their worst.

The good black dahlia murder stuff is the first album

Nocturnal
Miasma

Deathcore era JfaC is pretty shit

Nope

Unearth are pretty shit

I've only heard III: In The Eyes of Fire, but it's actually pretty DANDY.

BtBaM are pretty shit and not particularly core

Negatory, on both counts. There's core all over the place on Alaska and earlier... and their later shit is nothing short of amazing.

and...no opinion on AtR, I don't listen to them. Saw them live once and they sucked, though.

Probably, but on album they're not bad.