Controversial opinions on metal

Nocturnal
Miasma

Nocturnal is fairly low on the core influences and pretty goddamn shitty. Miasma...yeah, the riffing style has a lot in common with deathcore, although it's completely devoid of breakdowns and other such faggotry, and it is overall pretty good...fair point.

That's not lots. I know there are a few.
The good black dahlia murder stuff is the first album, which is pure AtG worship without any core crap. Deathcore era JfaC is pretty shit, Unearth are pretty shit, BtBaM are pretty shit and not particularly core, and...no opinion on AtR, I don't listen to them. Saw them live once and they sucked, though.

Have you heard Colors or The Great Misdirect? Although TGM really isn't core anymore, they're still a lot different from their other albums.

A lot of metalcore/deathcore is influenced by Gothenburg melodeath and stuff like Iron Maiden,etc... it still sucks regardless.

Well I haven't seen them live, but all I know is that Alaska, Colors, and The Great Misdirect are the bee's fucking knees. Alaska especially.

shit that sounds like it stays stagnant on one or two notes the whole time doesnt sound anything like talent to me. which is, *cough* so much of the metal i hear today *cough*

Well I haven't seen them live, but all I know is that Alaska, Colors, and The Great Misdirect are the bee's fucking knees. Alaska especially.

My view on the whole deal

Prayer for Cleansing is fucking amazing. Absolutely perfect metalcore album.

Self-titled BTBAM is great. Awesome album, a couple songwriting misfires but pretty awesome from start to finish.

The Silent Circus is perfect. One of the best metal albums of the 2000s.

Alaska was pretty great, but a step backwards.

Colors was alright to some extent but BTBAM wasn't an agressive band full of awesome heaviness that transitioned to sweet melodic sections, they were a noodly bunch of douchebags.

The Great Misdirect was a motherfucking atrocity.

• Between the Buried and Me (although it could be debated they've lost their "core" status by now)
  • The Black Dahlia Murder isn't the greatest, but it's not bad either.
  • Deathcore-era Job For a Cowboy is pretty good.
  • All that Remains
  • Some Unearth isn't bad.

I <3 BTBAM
Agree
The early shit with the BREE crap? No. Genesis is good.
The Fall Of Ideals was the last good thing that ATR did.
It's all bad. I hate Unearth.

Not sure if controversial since its just my personal opinion and all, but Revelation's Release is my favorite doom album. I realize such a relatively new album shouldn't probably get such a status, but it just resonates with me in ways no other doom album has.

New Amon Amarth album is out. They've officially become boring. More of the same, yet again, but this time most of the riffs are stale. WOOOS is still easily their best album. The Last Stand of Frej is a good song, though.

Amon Amarth are a band I've always liked live or when one of their songs comes on in a club but I couldn't sit through their full album.

upon a second listen, perhaps i was too quick. there are some interesting things going on here. it still is more or less boring in the sense that ill most likely get tired of it within 3 days and never listen to it again, but it has some ok moments. the vocals, ive noticed, are deeper especially in Beast am I. He gets very very deep in this song. some cool mid tempo sections, too. ive always liked the slower amon amarth stuff more than the blazing heaviness. theyre more interesting when they slow down, i find.