Controversial opinions on metal

I guess I need to hear Show No Mercy now. My Slayer collection would pretty much be complete except for DI, DIM and CI. Have no idea whey I bought GHUA before DI though

Controversial opinion: I really like cover songs and tribute albums. I like hearing certain bands taking on a different style and what a certain band's songs sound like when played by a different band.

I liked the Cradle cover. Better than Iced Earth's. Or Ceremonial Oath's.

I like good covers a lot. A good cover being a stylistic riff on a classic tune, not unrecognizable, but not a straight up retread neither.

Contoversial opinion: I liked the KSE cover of "Holy Diver." Not a lot. No. But is it godawful shit? Hell no. Are people deaf?

I also love Megadeth's "Paranoid," Pantera's "Cat Scratch Fever," Sepultura's "The Hunt," Fear Factory's "I Will Follow," and shit like that. Not a fan of Nevermore/Sanctuary's covers. They warp the original song too much.

While I never used to like Slayer I've grown to love SNM and Hell Awaits, but I just can not get into anything beyond HA. I really just do not see why RiB is so highly regarded.

RIB is one of the most well constructed and tightest metal albums ever released. There is not one wasted second on that disk.

Except for the fact that there isn't much variation.

debatable and irrelevant... the album builds and sustains a mood... variation would defeat the purpose... each track is just a little piece of the whole... it's an album album... not a collection of songs

I like Angel of Death, Raining Blood and Altar of Sacrifice, the rest is somewhat blurry. I'm slacking on my Slayer listening though and haven't listened to RiB in a while, nor do I really want to. There are more interesting things to do than forcing yourself on dated classics.

Yea, I admit that came out a bit more pretentious than intended.

I like Angel of Death, Raining Blood and Altar of Sacrifice, the rest is somewhat blurry. I'm slacking on my Slayer listening though and haven't listened to RiB in a while, nor do I really want to. There are more interesting things to do than forcing yourself on dated classics.

Yea, I admit that came out a bit more pretentious than intended.

i would hardly consider it dated... granted i'm no longer blown away by the album but that's because i've heard it a gazillion times...

I generally like cover songs. I am always a sucker for non extreme songs being covered by extreme metal bands

I wish there were more of those....like Amorphis covering "Light My Fire" and Pain covering "Eleanor Rigby". Then of course those goofy songs that Krieg covered.

The first two aren't repetitive. PWYP is like tech metal in the sense that none of the songs are memorable except the title track and Greenhouse Effect. Souls of Black is marginally better.