Controversial opinions on metal

I like them. But yes the majority opinion here is that if you don't play some obscure technical form of metal, or your last album sold more than 100 copies, then you are "mainstream" and therefore suck.

:err: I don't see much of that here at all.

Speaking of JfaC, Genesis is a damn good death metal album. I'll take it over most modern death metal any day. Dropping the deathcore was a wise decision, based on what I've heard from Doom.
I dunno why everyone considers them deathcore, tbh...they never even released a full album of deathcore. I know that one EP caused a big fuss, but seriously...

I wasn't too hot on Genesis, but Ruination really impressed me. And they are a HELL of a live band. Jon Rice is beastly at the drum kit.

Speaking of JfaC, Genesis is a damn good death metal album. I'll take it over most modern death metal any day. Dropping the deathcore was a wise decision, based on what I've heard from Doom.
I dunno why everyone considers them deathcore, tbh...they never even released a full album of deathcore. I know that one EP caused a big fuss, but seriously...

Genesis was pretty much the soundtrack of my life for a few months last year, great album.

I like most of slipknots stuff, new stuff not as much. i know everyone here pretty much hates them, but imo there not terrible.

I proabaly like them because i was into them before i was into death metal.

The self titled and Iowa are both solid albums. I think anyone that likes groove metal should like Iowa, because at they point they already dropped the whole nu-metal shtick.

Ooo, I got a good one.

I cannot stand "viking metal".

I have never heard a single band from that genre that I liked.

I wasn't too hot on Genesis, but Ruination really impressed me. And they are a HELL of a live band. Jon Rice is beastly at the drum kit.
Indeed, it was seeing them live that got me to buy the album. Their vocalist has fucking crazy-eyes.

Ooo, I got a good one.

I cannot stand "viking metal".

I have never heard a single band from that genre that I liked.
Viking metal is not a genre. It's a lyrical topic. The closest thing there is to "viking metal" is black metal with Scandinavian folk bits. Most of which sucks.

What the fuck does "obscure technical form of metal" even mean?

tumblr_lggd2mCAxx1qbbte0o1_500.jpg

Viking metal is not a genre. It's a lyrical topic. The closest thing there is to "viking metal" is black metal with Scandinavian folk bits. Most of which sucks.

I dunno. Bands like Amon Amarth, Wintersun, and those types have kind of an "epic" sound that they're going for and I just never like it.

If you're talking about "Viking metal" or "Folk metal," Amon Amarth and Wintersun aren't what you should be mentioning. Amon Amarth is Melodic Death and I would say Wintersun are closer to Power metal or something. Nonetheless, both are bad/wrong examples of what Viking/Folk metal is like and can offer.