Controversial opinions on metal

two of the greatest rap groups in history

lololololo

here is an example of one of the greatest rap groups/duo's in history ...

2rha87t.jpg

... not that weak shit you posted.

I have to agree with Nightsbane about Tribe Called Quest and Roots; they're awful.

They both have some good stuff. Pretty hit or miss though.

I can't stand most of that west coast HHHHNNNNNGGGGG Hop gangsta bro shit. Cheesy as hell.

I quite like that Genelec track mort. Never heard before, cheers.

You know what, I barely listen to rap, and when I do, it's the cheesy low-bro bull shit that Mort is lambasting. Kool Mo Dee, RUN DMC, Public Enemy, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Ice-T, KRS-ONE, etc. I know it's cheesy, but cheesy is OK when you just want to listen to music for purposes of unpretentious "fun". Same reason I like Motley Crue, Skid Row, and Cinderella.
Now, how about a controversial metal opinion? Listening to metal music in recorded form is much better than going to live shows.

Listening to metal music in recorded form is much better than going to live shows.

Depends on the style. I watched Emperor's Live Inferno dvd (yes it's "recorded" I know) and was unaffected by the whole thing. The same thing goes for when I saw Immortal perform their older songs live. The contemplative nature of the music pretty much renders any additional live-energy useless. When I'm in Blashyrk I'm supposed to be king and not surrounded by 2000 other dudes who think they are kings. Meanwhile, it's the opposite in the case of a band like Kreator (and later Immortal), because energy is the fucking spine of that music. Playing live is a good way to accumulate the genuine agression that may be lacking in a recording.

Depends on the style. I watched Emperor's Live Inferno dvd (yes it's "recorded" I know) and was unaffected by the whole thing. The same thing goes for when I saw Immortal perform their older songs live. The contemplative nature of the music pretty much renders any additional live-energy useless. When I'm in Blashyrk I'm supposed to be king and not surrounded by 2000 other dudes who think they are kings. Meanwhile, it's the opposite in the case of a band like Kreator (and later Immortal), because energy is the fucking spine of that music. Playing live is a good way to accumulate the genuine agression that may be lacking in a recording.

Sure, I guess. Thrash metal is best live, because that genre is about the energy, first and foremost. However, anything that is very layered, high-tempo, or intricate gets muddled and turns into incoherent noise through the loudspeakers at a live show. And yes, I could do without all the posing and posturing that I see from the people in the crowd. I find the best crowds at 21+ only shows, because I fucking hate teenagers.

Same goes for me with power metal. I want to soar ALONE in the sky like an eagle, not having to be squashed in amongst a plethora of carnivore birds all going for "beyond the mountin" (pronunciating mountain mountin is VERY important!).

I think deathcore is an evolution of death metal. I daresay many of you will agree with me!

Deathcore is a mixture of Death Metal, Madball styled hardcore, and post-hardcore in some cases. That alone makes it impossible for it to be a evolution since it is tainted by other genres.

Deathcore is a mixture of Death Metal, Madball styled hardcore, and post-hardcore in some cases. That alone makes it impossible for it to be a evolution since it is tainted by other genres.

Evolution IS the development of something with outside influences. That's how it works.

Although, to contradict myself, I agree because I'd say slam/brutal is the logical next step for death in the vein of Cannibal Corpse and Deicide.

I don't know if it is because of The Wire but I like some early Wu Tang songs. There's not much in the way of music, and I can't relate to the lyrics (lol), but there's something fun about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early Wu-Tang is awesome.

You know what, I barely listen to rap, and when I do, it's the cheesy low-bro bull shit that Mort is lambasting. Kool Mo Dee, RUN DMC, Public Enemy, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Ice-T, KRS-ONE, etc. I know it's cheesy, but cheesy is OK when you just want to listen to music for purposes of unpretentious "fun". Same reason I like Motley Crue, Skid Row, and Cinderella.

The really old school stuff you're referring to is mostly great (except for Ice-T, I never understood why anyone liked him). I'm talking more the Brotha Lynch Hung & X-Raided type shit. :yuk: