Controversial opinions on metal

Elements is not bad.
About a week ago I discovered that Unquestionable Presence(after not listening to it for a long while) can be quite tiresome to get through in one sitting. It's a good thing at least that the songs are sparingly short. Say what you will about the album's compositional genius or whatever but it is quite disjointed and lacking in doomy breaks. Its creative guitar work is what saves it, though.

Disjointed isn't always a bad thing. At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours is super disjointed, yet it receives endless praise. Personally, I find TRitSiO to be VERY overrated, and I still haven't been able to fully get into it. Controversial opinion, considering it is regarded by many on here as THE best death metal album.

Yea, TRiTSiO is another album I wish I would enjoy as many here do.
Same with Nespithe, and dozens of others.

Cythraul would respond to that something along the lines of: Yay, so this thread has turned again into "let's dissect cult classics we don't understand due to our mental deficiencies and show the world what immense faggots we are".

:p kidding, of course

I don't know if I could even name a best Morbid Angel album - they each seem to have their own strengths/weaknesses. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh is pretty damn catchy, and has nice thick production, so I'd go with that. I like BAtS a lot too, but it would definitely benefit from better production.

Elements is the best Atheist album.

Agreed :kickass:

I don't like Elements. It sounds kinda happy, with heaps of funk influence. Not good in my book. IMO it is by far the worst Atheist album.

The jazzy stuff makes it special, the "happy" feeling doesn't bother me tbh.

Unquestionable Presence is the best Atheist album tbh

That's another great album, but I still prefer Elements. Anyway, they were a hell of a band.

I'm not a fan of anything past Covenant, but Domination just seems to be extremely stale and contrived, and I just always found it more displeasing than anything else they've ever done.