Controversial opinions on metal

I think my real problem with Anthems is that (based on several cursory listens because I couldn't pay attention to it for more than 30 seconds) the production makes it sound like a wall of noise. The blasts tend to drown out stuff, and they switched from the epic synth sound on ITNE to a more orchestral sound that really does nothing for me. The album overall is too intense, both in production and in songwriting, and the end result is that nothing sticks with me. I've only listened a few times, but said times leave me with no desire to listen more.

I think IX Equilibrium is somewhat overlooked. Not a great album, and fairly unambitious, but it has some really cool songs and it's more varied and creative than the first two.

I'll also say that I enjoy Prometheus, which is weird because it has a lot of the same flaws as ITNE and quite a few of its own, but I do dig it for some reason. Also, the solo in The Eruption is fucking nuts.

I think IX Equilibrium is somewhat overlooked. Not a great album, and fairly unambitious, but it has some really cool songs and it's more varied and creative than the first two.

I can totally understand why so many people hate this album. If you consider the compositional potential Emperor showed with ITNE, this - i.e favoring technicality instead of songwriting - was really the wrong way to go. However I still fucking like it in its own right at least, because the masturbation that is there tends to be really awesome. An Elegy of Icaros builds amazing riff after amazing riff on each other for almost seven minutes.

No, early Burzum (s/t, Aske, Det Som...) doesn't hold a candle to ITNE.

Agreed.

I do however think that DMDS is better than ITNE, but they are quite different in style so it's an unfair comparison.

Speaking of overlooked early norwegian BM, what about Arcturus's My Angel? That EP had had some unparalleled atmosphere.

I think my real problem with Anthems is that (based on several cursory listens because I couldn't pay attention to it for more than 30 seconds) the production makes it sound like a wall of noise. The blasts tend to drown out stuff, and they switched from the epic synth sound on ITNE to a more orchestral sound that really does nothing for me. The album overall is too intense, both in production and in songwriting, and the end result is that nothing sticks with me. I've only listened a few times, but said times leave me with no desire to listen more.

Listen more. The album is fine on its own. The problem is that people judge it by the stylistic standards of what preceded (Emperor itself and the rest of Norwegian BM) it and that's not fair to the band's purpose.

I can't stand that album.

Speaking of overlooked early norwegian BM, what about Arcturus's My Angel? That EP had had some unparalleled atmosphere.

Aspera Hiems Symphonia is a hidden gem of Norwegian BM. I'll even call it a masterpiece.

King Diamond fucking Sucks.

Your mother fucking sucks

Megadeth isn't thrash.

How exactly? I dont really like megadeth, but come on.

Rap is just as good as Metal.

Rap is something totally different and fairly stupid.

Mercyful Fate only released one good album, all the rest were utter shit.

.... no.

The Black Album is a good album.

no real problem with this.

Slayer's God Hates us All isn't bad, just different.

Personally like the album, as angry metalcore as it feels

Kamelot is somewhat good.

Not that controversial if you like power metal.

Van Halen is a terrible Guitar Player.

asenine.

I have no more. I don't think, at least.

The only problem I with anthems is that tyr is a fantastic musician and you can't hear him at all on that album. Otherwise, it's practically flawless, and it's a unique composition in that the songs can all be enjoyed separately thanks to the musicians' technical prowess, but can also be listened to comprehensively as a full album thanks to the. loads of atmosphere and the breadth of dynamics emperor worked into their writing style

Vikingligr Veldi is the album that INTE should have been.

In Nightside teh Eclipse???

cute-cats-4jpg1.jpg

I will say that while Anthems is great, it definitely doesn't rank up among albums like HLTO, Filosofem, ITNE, De Mysteriis, Transilvanian Hunger, etc.

I will say that while Anthems is great, it definitely doesn't rank up among albums like HLTO, Filosofem, ITNE, De Mysteriis, Transilvanian Hunger, etc.

Yeah Anthems is a great album they just got alittle carried away with the reverb. Which is actually something I like about it. Emperor overall has a very small but solid collection of albums. As does Burzum, but Mayhem's is extremely inconsistent due to the amount of members who have come and gone for various reasons.

Yeah. I like Mayhem, but really De Mysteriis and Chimera are the only things I feel are worth owning. Maybe Ordo ad Chao also but it's not really that important.

I don't see how VV is a "version" of ITNE at all, or visa versa. They are very different albums by bands with different aesthetics and compositional styles. You have Viking vs. Satanic black metal. You have corelating compositions. Enslaved write big, sweeping epic songs that portray a noble force of their Viking ancestors. Emperor write works of controlled chaos, a depiction of the Satanic ideal.

Also, Enslaved have the whole 70's prog rock influence, which is absent from Emperor, while Emperor have an avant-garde dimension that is absent in early Enslaved.

I actually agree with you. I was just "playing along" with this idea that one album is a version of the other. In truth, I think this idea of one album being a poor version of another album is way overused (see practically every discussion of Dissection and Sacramentum.)

I do however think that DMDS is better than ITNE, but they are quite different in style so it's an unfair comparison.

Yeah, they're going for very different things with those albums. I love DMDS but ITNE is just closer to my own personal ideal of what extreme metal should be. Other people have different ideals and I can accept that. I disagree strongly and think they're deeply confused, but w/e.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky is what I consider to be the best 2nd wave album and I will say why when I'm not shoving food in my mouth

Alright, I'll explain why now. Maybe it's because it was the first real black metal album I heard but for me I just love the atmosphere I get from it. Even from the two Darkthrone albums after my brain doesn't set a similar setting that A Blaze gives me. Every time I listen to it I get an image of various satanic rituals happening in an extremely cold and frosty temperatures. Plus I love the various death metal like riffs but in a frosty black metal necro style.