Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial opinion: Pentagram was merely an extremely high quality band with moderate influence. Their material was often too similar to Sabbath or other forerunners to be terribly influential; Saint Vitus and Trouble took the doom sound further than Pentagram.

"Extremely high quality" is the only portion I disagree with.

Ride The Lightning doesn't really have any stand out songs to me. Fade To Black, Fight Fire With Fire, and the ST are all great songs, but as a whole, it just doesn't do much for me. Same for Puppets. Nothing that stands out to much to me. There are plenty of greater Thrash albums and people make these albums out to be amazing. I will not deny they're influential, because after hearing these albums, they were my favorites for months. I've gone through a lot of albums since then, and I can find a lot of albums that reign supreme.

Metallica is a pretty great band for someone who is getting into metal for the first time. I started out by listening to Metallica, they are more accessible than some other metal bands and I was lucky to have heard then when I did. Obviously once you abuse an album enough by listening to it alot, it becomes alot harder to appreciate and listen to. I dont really get much out of listening to Metallica anymore.

Stand-out songs? How about Fight Fire With Fire, Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ride The Lightning, Battery, Master Of Puppets, Disposable Heroes, Sanitarium, Orion, and Damage Incorporated? There's not a single bad track on either album.

That said, I gravitate towards the heavier thrash albums, especially the German scene, and if viewed from that perspective obviously they don't hold up because they're simply not that aggressive.

Lol at people who are too cool and mature to listen to Metallica. First couple of albums are incredible.

For a bunch of mediocre musicians, Metallica did record some amazing albums. Cliff Burton was the only one who had any impressive performances. Also, the two main songwriters (Ulrich and Hetfield) are probably among the worst of the successful metal musicians.

I'm kind of sick of the argument that Metallica musicians were mediocre. Sure Kirk's solos got to be uninspired pentatonic stuff pretty damn soon, but his work on Kill 'Em All isn't lesser than most other thrash lead players. And what was so terrible about Hetfield's rhythm work on the first two albums? Lars IS mediocre but he's fucking Lars and I don't think a soul on earth likes the guy so whatever.

Hetfield is a great rhythm player, but as a vocalist, he has never impressed me. Even as far as thrash metal standards go (which are pretty low), he's not a good vocalist. Anyway, why are you trying to defend the members' of Metallica skills when we essentially agree?