Controversial opinions on metal

Revised statement: Crystal Logic and possibly some others are power metal gateway albums. Open the Gates and '00 material would NOT be gateway material.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people don't start at Crystal Logic and then decide to go searching for more power metal. I found Manilla Road long after I started listening to metal (of all genres).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people don't start at Crystal Logic and then decide to go searching for more power metal. I found Manilla Road long after I started listening to metal (of all genres).

Pretty much this, although I wouldn't quite say *long* after. They don't sound much like any other power metal bands, are more of a cult-following kind of band (it wasn't until recently that they've really started bringing out the reissues), and outside of obvious songs (eg Necropolis) they aren't nearly as catchy as Helloween, Gamma Ray, and other gateway bands are.

Hey guise power metul is gay. I love the new revocation album though.

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

Asphyx is better than Pestilence, and Pestilence's first two are by far their best (not that controversial).

Motorhead are boring and Venom are awesome.

Not everything on Razorback is trendy and gay.

Manilla Road's vocals are irritating, even if the band is good. Same with Cirith Ungol.

Death Metal is one of Dismember's best albums. Still not as good as Like An Ever Flowing Stream though.

Pleasure To Kill is the worst of the early Kreator (Coma of Souls and before) albums.

Bonded By Blood is Exodus' best, but the Zetro era albums rule too. Everything Rob Dukes has done except Shovel Headed Kill Machine can suck a big black dick.

Harmony Corruption is fantastic and just as good as Napalm Death's first two.

Swedish death metal is the best death metal.

That's enough for now.

Revised statement: Crystal Logic and possibly some others are power metal gateway albums. Open the Gates and '00 material would NOT be gateway material.

Open the Gates is definitely a gateway album into Manilla Road. I'd say that Crystal Logic, Open the Gates and The Deluge are usually the first albums people who are interested in the band listen to first. The hardest stuff to get into would probably be their first two (and Mark of the Beast).

Not everything on Razorback is trendy and gay.

I'm not exactly sure what they're doing now... but razorback has had a ton of good bands in the past.

Decrepitaph
Hooded Menace
Coffins
Impetigo
Revolting
Cianide
Blood Freak
Masoleum

These and probably more I dont remember off the top of my head are true goresoaked death metal and I dont know how they were ever trendy. (the Death/Thrash/Grind/Horror bands were really the only ones guilty of this, as far as I'm concerned)

Billy is just a fucking douche.

yeah i like all those bands you mentioned pretty much, and i like some of the ones people called "trendy" (like Acid Witch and Ghoul). i never got why there's such a rivalry between Hell's Headbangers' fans and Razorback's.

Oddly enough Acid Witch is re-releasing their first album on HHR.

Maybe Billy treated Acid Witch poorly? (He apparently does this to everyone... I have a re-released version of Gruesome Stuff Relish's Teenage Giallo Grind in which the band makes sure to let you know he originally stole the album art)

Pretty much this, although I wouldn't quite say *long* after. They don't sound much like any other power metal bands, are more of a cult-following kind of band (it wasn't until recently that they've really started bringing out the reissues), and outside of obvious songs (eg Necropolis) they aren't nearly as catchy as Helloween, Gamma Ray, and other gateway bands are.

Ok I'll clarify what I meant here. Manilla Road is not a highly popular power metal band with the most catchy and stripped down sound as some of the European bands are. In that sense they are not a gateway band. They are more of a gateway band in the sense that Opeth is a gateway band; where other bands' traditional sounds may initially turn off new listeners, Manilla Road (like Opeth) manages to offer an entirely unique approach that is still remarkably accessible, and that results in a newfound interest in the genre where other bands would not spark such an interest.

Open the Gates is definitely a gateway album into Manilla Road. I'd say that Crystal Logic, Open the Gates and The Deluge are usually the first albums people who are interested in the band listen to first. The hardest stuff to get into would probably be their first two (and Mark of the Beast).

The Deluge is certainly gateway material, but Open the Gates, while popular and of the highest quality, seems too intricate to be considered gateway material.

Einherjar86 said:
Manilla Road is definitely not a gateway power metal band. Talented as hell, yes; but not a gateway band. They're a "now you've reached the end of the road and this is the epitome of all that is epic" band. Or, at least, one of the epitomes...

As far as your little jab at Kiuas, I label you a whiner.

I label you as someone who likes bad music.

Manilla Road isn't a gateway band per se, but a lot of people who tend to dislike power metal like them and they are very accessible to listen to. They're also just better than derivative, generic drivel like Kiuas in pretty much every way.

Using Opeth as an example only makes your point more confusing considering that they're second only to Dream Theater in popularity as far as progressive metal is concerned. I think I get what you mean regardless, though.