Controversial opinions on metal

Asphyx is better than Pestilence, and Pestilence's first two are by far their best (not that controversial).
Consuming Impulse is better than anything Asphyx did.

Motorhead are boring and Venom are awesome.
Motorhead > Venom
Manilla Road's vocals are irritating, even if the band is good. Same with Cirith Ungol.
I didnt really like his vox at first either, but it grew on me... now i thinks he's a great vocalist.
Pleasure To Kill is the worst of the early Kreator (Coma of Souls and before) albums.
Not only is Pleasure to Kill easily one of their best early albums, its probably their best work album along with Terrible Certainty.
Bonded By Blood is Exodus' best, but the Zetro era albums rule too. Everything Rob Dukes has done except Shovel Headed Kill Machine can suck a big black dick.
Agree with you on BBB, but i think Zetro sucks as much cock as Pukes.
Swedish death metal is the best death metal.
Its definitely one of the best.

Other than laughing and singing along to "ION HOERCES" Motorhead does nothing to amuse me.

Claiming that something is "good" or "bad" definitively is stupid, as any person of intelligence knows, and claiming that Opeth have no degree of originality can't possibly be anything but a fabrication, as no one that's done their research can come to a conclusion otherwise.

His vocals live these days are so unspeakably awful that it's embarrassing to listen to.
True, but irrelevant. They haven't released anything worth hearing since 1988/1991/1997 (depending on personal taste), so his vocals nowadays are not in question. Bruce Dickinson sounds fairly poor nowadays, but we still all agree that he's a great vocalist due to his past performances.

Motorhead are boring and Venom are awesome.
You are a drooling idiot.

Pleasure To Kill is the worst of the early Kreator (Coma of Souls and before) albums.
This isn't even debatable. Endless Pain is far, far worse. Endless Pain is, in fact, fucking terrible. Some good songs, but the atrocious production kills it.

claiming that Opeth have no degree of originality can't possibly be anything but a fabrication, as no one that's done their research can come to a conclusion otherwise.
What have Opeth done that other bands hadn't done before?

Consuming Impulse is better than anything Asphyx did.
listen to songs like "The Krusher" and "Food For the Ignorant" off of Last One On Earth and tell me that it doesn't slay Pestilence.

not to mention i think Asphyx did a pretty good job on the switch of vocalists- Pestilence didn't.

Pestilence's first two are still pretty great though.
Motorhead > Venom
it's been a long time since i've listened to Motorhead, but i can't think of a single one of their albums that can hold my attention throughout the entire thing.

Welcome To Hell and Black Metal, on the other hand, are excellent.
I didnt really like his vox at first either, but it grew on me... now i thinks he's a great vocalist.
Not only is Pleasure to Kill easily one of their best early albums, its probably their best work album along with Terrible Certainty.
i like Terrible Certainty and Endless Pain more, and then there's Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls, which i think are their best with Endless Pain.

i love the raw, sloppy, early German style, and Kreator did it decently, just not on Pleasure to Kill. i can only think of a handful of riffs on that album that entertain me that much, and the whole thing just isn't put together well if you ask me.
Its definitely one of the best.
aside from the Gothenburg shit that came out later (that still released a few decent albums- Dark Tranquillity every now and then could pull their heads out of their asses and do something decent, and i'm quite fond of At the Gates), i can't think of a single scene that's been as consistently awesome. even today there's bands like Tribulation, Repugnant, Bastard Priest, etc, still kicking ass.

America, in its prime, had Autopsy, whom are my favorite band, and Morbid Angel and such, but i can't think of a single modern American death metal band that i enjoy (off the top of my head).

then there's Canada, who had Gorguts, Cryptopsy, etc, who are of course awesome, but i'm not so big into the modern tech death scene there. and i guess Finland, which released some excellent records but can't really compete either.
WeAreInFlames said:
You are a drooling idiot.
well that isn't very nice. ) :
This isn't even debatable. Endless Pain is far, far worse. Endless Pain is, in fact, fucking terrible. Some good songs, but the atrocious production kills it.
can't think of anything particularly wrong with the production. i mean it's lofi as hell but i don't really mind.

aside from the Gothenburg shit that came out later (that still released a few decent albums- Dark Tranquillity every now and then could pull their heads out of their asses and do something decent, and i'm quite fond of At the Gates), i can't think of a single scene that's been as consistently awesome. even today there's bands like Tribulation, Repugnant, Bastard Priest, etc, still kicking ass.

America, in its prime, had Autopsy, whom are my favorite band, and Morbid Angel and such, but i can't think of a single modern American death metal band that i enjoy (off the top of my head).

You're right that Sweden is superior now, but there's simply no way older Swedeath can compete with the sheer number of highest quality bands in America. Therion, Necrophobic, Merciless, At the Gates, Unleashed, and Dismember are all some of my favorite death metal acts, but even that bunch is lesser than the might of Morbid Angel, Possessed, Master, Autopsy, Incantation, Immolation, Deicide, Atheist, and Death. And that's with me purposefully not mentioning other legendary acts like Obituary or Suffocation due to my personal apathy.

Claiming that something is "good" or "bad" definitively is stupid, as any person of intelligence knows, and claiming that Opeth have no degree of originality can't possibly be anything but a fabrication, as no one that's done their research can come to a conclusion otherwise.

1691244-not_sure_if_troll_super.jpg

If Opeth had disappeared after Morningrise or MAYH, they would be the fucking most cult metal band ever. I think that's hard to argue.

It seems important to me to preserve the legacy of great music, even if the reputation is tarnished. Some young teenager won't think shit of Metallica, but he damn well better go put in some time with Ride The Lightning, and it's important the community insists on it.

If someone blindly trashes Opeth, I won't accept that unless they've put in some listens with the first three albums.

I know Still Life is a favorite among Opeth fans, but I think it's the worst out of the first five by a wide margin. It's their first album with mainstream elements, the bass is irrelevant, and the song structures get redundant. The last track is a mess. I think most of the people who like it a lot identify with the lyrical concept, or heard it before the vastly superior Blackwater Park.

I know Still Life is a favorite among Opeth fans, but I think it's the worst out of the first five by a wide margin. It's their first album with mainstream elements, the bass is irrelevant, and the song structures get redundant. The last track is a mess. I think most of the people who like it a lot identify with the lyrical concept, or heard it before the vastly superior Blackwater Park.

Blackwater Park superior to Still Life....??? LOL

For me, Morningrise is easily their best record. I guess that has to do with the slight black metal influences in the music.