Controversial opinions on metal

I guess I thought we disagreed because A) I thought you were implying Hetfield was a bad rhythm player and B) I thought you were implying, like so many do, that Hammett sucks, while I love his work on KEA, and most of RTL.

As much as I love Ride the Lightning (and it is my second favorite metal album), I don't see how Hammett's playing was better on it than on Master of Puppets or AJFA. His repetition on that album is the only weak spot (although Fade to Black alone almost redeems it). Even on Kill 'Em All the solos don't stand out as inspired, kickass as ones like the ending solo of Jump in the Fire may be. The Thing That Should Not Be especially stands out as one of his best and most unique solos.

I agree about The Thing That Should Not Be. And I agree there's repetition on Ride, which is why I said "MOST of rtl" - Escape and Call of Ktulu solos begin with the same lick and there was something else I can't remember right now. As for KEA, I don't think the solos are "inspired" so much as they're bursting with youthful exuberance and energy. Meanwhile half of his solos on Master of Puppets and AJFA seem uninspired to me nevertheless, despite the presence of great ones like The Thing.

I guess I thought we disagreed because A) I thought you were implying Hetfield was a bad rhythm player and B) I thought you were implying, like so many do, that Hammett sucks, while I love his work on KEA, and most of RTL.

Now I see where we differ. Hammett is terribly mediocre, imo, especially for someone who was instructed by none other than Joe Satriani. He's not technically bad, just uninspired. That being said, somehow Metallica managed to record probably the best 4 album series out of any metal band in history.

power metal are for gays

I don't really like power metal either.

I've tried to get into it with Blind Guardian and some others but i can't get past the high pitch vocals. Given that Iced Earth are considered power metal (or American Heavy Metal as i like to say), and that they are one of my favourite bands, i wish i could get into power metal more, but i can't.

I did like Pyramaze - Immortal, with Barlow on vox, but i hated the other Pyramaze albums. The vocals just kill me. :(

It's shit, because it's the only style of metal I've never really enjoyed (along with a few other shitty styles).

I'm going to try Angel Dust this weekend, as it was recommended in the Albums Project thread.

As for Metallica comments - i played those albums to fucking death in the 90's, and while they don't have the same impact today (given that i listened to them non stop for years), they are still incredible albums with some of the best metal songs ever written - period. :devil:

I don't really like power metal either.

I've tried to get into it with Blind Guardian and some others but i can't get past the high pitch vocals. Given that Iced Earth are considered power metal (or American Heavy Metal as i like to say), and that they are one of my favourite bands, i wish i could get into power metal more, but i can't.

I did like Pyramaze - Immortal, with Barlow on vox, but i hated the other Pyramaze albums. The vocals just kill me. :(

It's shit, because it's the only style of metal I've never really enjoyed (along with a few other shitty styles).

I'm going to try Angel Dust this weekend, as it was recommended in the Albums Project thread.

KIUAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insaniac said:
power metal are for gays

I'd agree with you if you're only talking about new European flower metal and similar atrocities, but you must be overlooking a lot of bands to make such a broad, generalized statement.

Einherjar86 said:

That is not likely to change anyone's opinion on anything. It's mediocre, with the only redeeming factor being the singer not sounding like someone stepped on his balls.

Actually, I've converted more than one metalhead in the past to power metal by suggesting Kiuas.

They're the best "extreme power metal" band around, in my opinion.

I don't get disliking Hetfield's vocals. I mean, obviously taste in vocals is highly subjective, but you have to at least recognize that he's pretty solid.

His performance on the Load and Reload albums (which are highly underrated due to not being thrash in any way) is great.

Save for a few songs, I personally dislike Metallica's discography. I understand their influence, and that their first few albums are definate classics, but I just can't get into any of them. The production bugs me, and Hetfields voice does nothing for me.

power metal are for gays

Fuck you.

I don't get disliking Hetfield's vocals. I mean, obviously taste in vocals is highly subjective, but you have to at least recognize that he's pretty solid.

His performance on the Load and Reload albums (which are highly underrated due to not being thrash in any way) is great.

His vocals live these days are so unspeakably awful that it's embarrassing to listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Still feelin' good!" "Well I'm about to fuck up this song!"
My god what a sad vocal performance. It's like he's just raising his "indoor voice" :lol:
Also the bass player is annoying as hell to watch. Somebodys been listening to too much POD/Korn.

So is Manilla Road, except that they are talented.

Manilla Road is definitely not a gateway power metal band. Talented as hell, yes; but not a gateway band. They're a "now you've reached the end of the road and this is the epitome of all that is epic" band. Or, at least, one of the epitomes...

As far as your little jab at Kiuas, I label you a whiner.