Controversial opinions on metal

Later Death is most certainly death metal, just because its a bit progressive or different from their other stuff dosn't change the fact that they were still a DM band. All death metal albums dont have to sound like Leprosy or Altars, that's why there are different subgenres like technical, progressive, brutal, melodic etc.

but to my ears, later Death does sound like something that could've appeared on Enemy of God or something.
... really bro??
d16adf637eba67c2_q_tips_cotton_swabs_xlarge.jpg

Death metal needs a revisionist genre-cleansing tbh. I don't see how Symbolic can be reconciled with everything from Orchid to Worlds Beyond the Veil, particularly when you have people that won't accept The Law or The Haunted (S/T) as thrash.

Later Death is most certainly death metal, just because its a bit progressive or different from their other stuff dosn't change the fact that they were still a DM band. All death metal albums dont have to sound like Leprosy or Altars, that's why there are different subgenres like technical, progressive, brutal, melodic etc.

It's not because it's "progressive" or "different" that makes it not death metal, it's that the riffs aren't fucking death metal riffs, that makes it not death metal.

Anyone who can honestly say that later Death is death metal, is obviously either: using an incorrect definition of the words "death metal", or is on some form of illicit substance. If the latter, I implore you share and stop holding out on me.

Anyone who can honestly say that later Death is death metal, is obviously either: using an incorrect definition of the words "death metal", or is on some form of illicit substance. If the latter, I implore you share and stop holding out on me.

I dont know about all that ... but i did just roll a fat kush J and plan on being pretty toasted within the next 10 minutes:lol:

... too bad you're all the way up north:Smokedev:

They aren't bad by any means, but Varg's vocals are not a strong point in his music. Vocals on Pure Holocaust, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Under A Funeral Moon, etc. are definitely stronger.

The best part about Burzum IS Varg's vocals (pre-prison). Theyve pretty much inspired the whole DSBM scene. Aside from that, personally he might be one of my favorite vocalists of all time, because fuck man, that shit is unparallel to other Black Metal around the same time. Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon, Mayhem or any other 2nd wave black metal band, their vocals cannot touch the intensity of Varg's vocals.

Nah, Blind Guardian fell off the cliff with A Night at the Opera. Their prime period is Battalions of Fear through Somewhere Far Beyond, with Follow the Blind being the weakest of the four.

The best part about Burzum IS Varg's vocals (pre-prison). Theyve pretty much inspired the whole DSBM scene. Aside from that, personally he might be one of my favorite vocalists of all time, because fuck man, that shit is unparallel to other Black Metal around the same time. Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon, Mayhem or any other 2nd wave black metal band, their vocals cannot touch the intensity of Varg's vocals.

I don't really consider influencing the DSBM scene to be a good thing.

I'd divide Blind Guardian into three periods of sound and quality:

1. Somewhere Far Beyond - Imaginations.. - Nightfall in Middle Earth

>

2. Battalions of Fear - Follow the Blind - Tales..

>

3. A Night at the Opera - albums I don't even know the names of

Nah, Blind Guardian fell off the cliff with A Night at the Opera. Their prime period is Battalions of Fear through Somewhere Far Beyond, with Follow the Blind being the weakest of the four.

I would agree about their prime albums if you swapped out Tales From The Twilight World with Imaginations From The Other Side. :)

But saying that they they fell off the cliff with Night At The Opera? No way. They expanded their musical pallet and created something unique that payed off.

I don't really consider influencing the DSBM scene to be a good thing.

:lol: Then its no surprise why you dont like his vocals

I don't dislike them but I'm at a loss to see why people praise them on the same level as the vocals on the 2nd Immortal album or the first Mayhem album... Because of that I've concluded that it's all just the result of Varg fanboyism although I know that's an irrational notion for some of the more intelligent people here.

Death is the best death metal band of all time, even if you consider Symbolic/TSOP to be barely death metal. In my opinion, no other death metal band has maintained a level of 'freshness' and quality on album after album. Too many death metal bands these days write music to fit a certain sound, forgetting how to write memorable riffs and songs. But that's where Death shines the most. Their albums feel more like a collection of amazing songs rather than a single massive piece of atmosphere like say, Teitanblood's Seven Chalices (not that I don't love that album as well).

Point is, when it comes to what death metal band you can listen to the most without your ears literally getting tired of the sound, and what band made the best, most memorable songs and riffs that you can really rock out to and enjoy, its Death.

Death is the best death metal band of all time, even if you consider Symbolic/TSOP to be barely death metal. In my opinion, no other death metal band has maintained a level of 'freshness' and quality on album after album. Too many death metal bands these days write music to fit a certain sound, forgetting how to write memorable riffs and songs. But that's where Death shines the most. Their albums feel more like a collection of amazing songs rather than a single massive piece of atmosphere like say, Teitanblood's Seven Chalices (not that I don't love that album as well).

Point is, when it comes to what death metal band you can listen to the most without your ears literally getting tired of the sound, and what band made the best, most memorable songs and riffs that you can really rock out to and enjoy, its Death.

Well said. :kickass: