Controversial opinions on metal

Absolutely. I think the last album in his Devin Townsend Project series, Deconstruction, is an absolute masterpiece. I love all four of those albums, actually, but Deconstruction and Ki are the best.

Deconstruction is garbage and competes with Ziltoid as his worst album. Of the DTP albums, Addicted! was probably the most fun to listen to, with Ghost being the best when I'm in the mood.
I hated Deconstruction at first because I was expecting something much more chaotic, but once it clicked with me I realized it was a focused product of his previously chaotic wall of noise that created his vivid atmospheres(It really cant be compared to Ziltoid, which was more like a rough draft than a finished album). Ghost and my personal favorite of the 4, Ki, also did this really well. Addicted was surprisingly good, and a great guilty pleasure, but the weakest of them all.

:guh: Really? Doesn't look like it :lol:

Yea, really.

- Whenever an album is described as "southern" or having southern influences, it just means it's shitty. All these southern stoner sludge bands are the same crap.

EDIT: This started wtih Pantera afaik. I.E. bands that consider being dumb to be their main quality.

220px-COC_Blind.jpg

EDIT: Spiritual Healing is probably Death's worst. Can't decide between it and The Sound of Perseverance. Anyone that praises Death for consistency is lol-worthy.

I hated Deconstruction at first because I was expecting something much more chaotic, but once it clicked with me I realized it was a focused product of his previously chaotic wall of noise that created his vivid atmospheres(It really cant be compared to Ziltoid, which was more like a rough draft than a finished album). Ghost and my personal favorite of the 4, Ki, also did this really well. Addicted was surprisingly good, and a great guilty pleasure, but the weakest of them all.

Yea, really.

Ghost is my favourite of the bunch. There are some great songs on Ki, but there are also some that I always skip. Deconstruction has some fucking great songs (Poltergeist!!) and Addicted is pretty decent for what it is - the chick singing on it (Anneke something) has a great voice.

^
Ghost was damn good. Did not expect that at all, looking forward to Ghost part.2 for sure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsnUJy-hP0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsnUJy-hP0[/ame]

Southern-influenced metal is awesome, and is only for metalheads that don't have their penis lodged into a small mustard jar. :kickass:

I'll say I'm not a huge fan of Death. I like them, but a) they really aren't "death metal" (and as a DM-fag I like my death to be bludgeoning); b) I think people way overstate Death's legendary status. Yeah they were at the forefront of the genre, but if you listen to Human and then listen to Tomb of the Mutilated, they're not even close to the same sound.
Well I can't even listen to most old CC as the production and overall guitar sound is complete shit. I can't understand a single word from chris barnes vocals (although they are brutal) The reason death is good is because not only do they have elements that are heavy, the riffs and feel of the music is better, much more "emotional" I guess.

Death (or at least the albums before ITP and Symbolic) most definitely are death metal btw. But I'll concede that the later albums aren't at all, they sound like fucking Gothenthrash to me.

Later Death is very much progressive/technical death metal, but not exactly that either. Its just Death.

The worst Death album is rather fuckin good.

Probably, but I don't see how those albums are "Gothenthrash" either (especially since ITP and Symbolic were released before that was really a thing at all).

Probably, but I don't see how those albums are "Gothenthrash" either (especially since ITP and Symbolic were released before that was really a thing at all).

That may be true, but to my ears, later Death does sound like something that could've appeared on Enemy of God or something.

Most Metal gigs are too damn loud and the mix sucks.

Seriously, most soundmen at Metal gigs seem to push all the sliders almost to the top then nudge the bass just a wee a bit highter.

That may be true, but to my ears, later Death does sound like something that could've appeared on Enemy of God or something.

Except newer Kreator is terrible and newer Death isn't.

Also, don't listen to HamburgerBoy when he talks about Corrosion of Conformity. Wiseblood and Deliverance are much better choices than Blind in terms of southern influence.

Also, don't listen to HamburgerBoy when he talks about Corrosion of Conformity. Wiseblood and Deliverance are much better choices than Blind in terms of southern influence.

I didn't say that Blind was their most "Southern" album (it's almost certainly their least of their post-80's and non-reunion stuff), just that it was a non-shit one. Deliverance is great too, but if the purpose is to convince someone that not everything under the label is crap, a borderline choice is a better suited one imo.