Controversial opinions on metal

It's weird. I kind of wanted to really get into some of it, but I only really like a few bands when I'm really in the mood.

edit @ folkmetal.

I love folk music. But 90% of folk metal is such a haphazardly mashed, bastardized cocktail of folk and metal, it's just... not tolerable or good.

I love folk music.

simpson%27s%20folly%202005.jpg

I've been listening to extreme metal since I was 15 years old, and one controversial genre I stumbled upon (way before I knew the views of the genre) was a ton of NSBM. It was even MORESO controversial for me to listen to this genre as I am not white. However, at the time I did not necessarily understand the lyrics (as oftentimes it was in another language) nor what was meant by NS (white supremacy? antisemitism? separatism? ) as there are so many different facets. To be honest, when I learned more and more about it, it did deter me from listening to certain bands, but not all. When all is said in done, I love extreme metal. I can listen to something and not agree with it, just as how I've enjoyed movies, art and literature created by people with opinions that differed from mine. Haha, I guess what I'm basically trying to say is being a douche does not make your art suck.

I've actually had tons and tons of discussions/arguments with people who are in agreement of the opinions NSBM and people who are not both sides saying "you should listen" or "you shouldn't listen." I, however, think for myself... so yeah. :p

Anyways, this thread was very long and I did not read everything, but I hope this post did not stray too much off topic.

I never let lyrical content get in the way of enjoying otherwise good music. The good thing about metal is that the majority of vocals are incoherent so its not very hard to do (unlike a lot of other genres).

I never let lyrical content get in the way of enjoying otherwise good music. The good thing about metal is that the majority of vocals are incoherent so its not very hard to do (unlike a lot of other genres).

Well yeah, but if there was a musically good band with lyrics that absolutely sucked ass, would you still like that band?

Well yeah, but if there was a musically good band with lyrics that absolutely sucked ass, would you still like that band?

That's what he just said, halfwit.

I almost enjoy post-metal bands more than actual metal bands lately. I don't mean post metal as a genre, but as a general term for artists that play basically rock or pop music and add in metallic elements. I've been listening to way too much Alcest lately, for example. Other artists I'd call "post-metal" would be Devin Townsend or Peccatum.

Yeah. Actual post metal tends to be boring stoner doom that's dragged further out somehow and made pretentious.

I almost enjoy post-metal bands more than actual metal bands lately. I don't mean post metal as a genre, but as a general term for artists that play basically rock or pop music and add in metallic elements. I've been listening to way too much Alcest lately, for example. Other artists I'd call "post-metal" would be Devin Townsend or Peccatum.

Ive always considered Devin Townsend to be on the avant-garde end of progressive metal, but I guess you could consider his approach to be a type of post-metal one. He is the type of artist you either love or hate; I find most of his stuff to be fantastically layered with an extraordinary attention to detail and overall mood/feel. Sometimes his compositions arent the best, but other times he strikes gold.

Yeah. Actual post metal tends to be boring stoner doom that's dragged further out somehow and made pretentious.

Like Sunn0)))?

Ive always considered Devin Townsend to be on the avant-garde end of progressive metal, but I guess you could consider his approach to be a type of post-metal one. He is the type of artist you either love or hate; I find most of his stuff to be fantastically layered with an extraordinary attention to detail and overall mood/feel. Sometimes his compositions arent the best, but other times he strikes gold.

Absolutely. I think the last album in his Devin Townsend Project series, Deconstruction, is an absolute masterpiece. I love all four of those albums, actually, but Deconstruction and Ki are the best.

Deconstruction is garbage and competes with Ziltoid as his worst album. Of the DTP albums, Addicted! was probably the most fun to listen to, with Ghost being the best when I'm in the mood.

As far as post-metal goes, can't stand the vast majority of it, but I don't mind Isis' Oceanic and a few others...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like Devin Townsend's solo material much at all. That's a good confession for ya.

SYL has two albums I love (City and Alien), but that's about it.