Controversial opinions on metal

Tbh Death would easily make a top 5 metal bands of all time list for me. Every album has what all great metal albums have, riffs, lyrics, songwriting, musicianship, personality, emotion, ect ect. I honestly don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion of Death being overrated, disliking the music itself I can understand but being unable to appreciate their undeniably profound influence in metal is a different story. Not every semi popular band that is praised vastly by fans around the world is overrated, a band can exist and rightfully deserve the praise they receive. Death is one of those bands.

Tbh Death would easily make a top 5 metal bands of all time list for me. Every album has what all great metal albums have, riffs, lyrics, songwriting, musicianship, personality, emotion, ect ect. I honestly don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion of Death being overrated, disliking the music itself I can understand but being unable to appreciate their undeniably profound influence in metal is a different story. Not every semi popular band that is praised vastly by fans around the world is overrated, a band can exist and rightfully deserve the praise they receive. Death is one of those bands.

This.

Yes, but aside from a very selected few Death albums, I fail to see anything that actually beats anything like "The Red in the Sky is Ours" or "Slumber of Sullen Eyes" or who the fuck knows what I'm forgetting.

Death is a worthy band alright, but just not quite there. I feel like Dismember or Demilich or countless other bands are worthy of the same title over them.

Agreed. They are fucking overrated.

Yeah. But it's mainly because Chuck died and a million fanboys labelled him a genius.

Death released some pretty shit material but they also released at least four classics of the genre and were instrumental in its development. Deffo in my top ten.

Death has 3-4 good albums....more than most death metal bands can boast. Thing that keeps them out of my top 10 is the fact that they have 0 top tier albums.

Time spent listening to all that faggot ass pop music you like is time that could be better spent listening to The Chasm.

/standard

I find it hilarious that my enjoyment of pop music has some people still so irritated. I've ceased discussion of it here, so not sure why it continues to be an issue.

Yes, but aside from a very selected few Death albums, I fail to see anything that actually beats anything like "The Red in the Sky is Ours" or "Slumber of Sullen Eyes" or who the fuck knows what I'm forgetting.

Death is a worthy band alright, but just not quite there. I feel like Dismember or Demilich or countless other bands are worthy of the same title over them.

Personally I think SOSE and TRINTSIO are every bit as overrated as anything by Death. When I think classic, quintessential death metal, I go with Cause Of Death by Obituary, Deicide's self titled, Altars Of Madness by Morbid Angel, The Left Hand Path by Entombed, and Amorphis's The Karelian Isthmus. From what I've seen lately, those albums are more and more maligned as being total garbage.

Don't worry Mort, I'm with ya in the pop-listening. In fact, you should rec me some of the stuff you really dig.

When I think classic, quintessential death metal, I go with Cause Of Death by Obituary, Deicide's self titled, Altars Of Madness by Morbid Angel, The Left Hand Path by Entombed, and Amorphis's The Karelian Isthmus. From what I've seen lately, those albums are more and more maligned as being total garbage.

The albums you mentioned are absolute essentials, except maybe The Karelian Isthmus, which is a 5 star album none the less and Deicide, who i consider the most overrated dm band of all time.

I like Legion, but TSOR has that sense of melodicism that rustles my jimmies, in the best possible way.