Controversial opinions on metal

Point of Entry and Demolition are great albums. I'll take quality over integrity (if either can describe the last few Iron Maiden albums)

Whoa, slow down the hyperbole train. Do you honestly believe they are great albums? That's a term I would reserve from albums like Stained Class and SWOD. I can see why someone might enjoy those albums (ok, honestly I can't with Demolition), but I really don't see how anyone can consider them great.

Great in my book is an ~8/10; extremely enjoyable, but not necessarily reaching the pinnacle at any moment (unlike SWOD or Stained Class which basically are perfect). Although in the case of Point of Entry, I wouldn't hesitate to put Desert Plains up with anything else they've done, and the adjacent songs are almost as excellent. I'll admit that it peters out a little towards the end, but at worst it's average melodic rock. Demolition, on the other hand, is really high-quality for what is admittedly basically catchy 80's Priest anthems with lots of alternative/"modern" metal bits and production thrown in. The quasi-rapping is silly and there's the occasional bad idea, but on a whole it's highly singable and catchy. Feed on Me and Bloodsuckers are staight-up classic Priest rockers, and the other heavier songs, while having a lot more groove metal influence, are still very distinguishable from each other. imo they actually took all the typical radio metal of that era and improved on it. With 13 songs there's certainly a bit of filler, but nothing awful.

Jugulator and Nostradamus are the only below average ones imo, and the latter could be saved with a lot of trimming.

I'm on the Priest side, obviously. I don't even like most of Iron Maiden. Sometimes they have like a good chorus or a perfect riff, but it's all presented and accompanied with litres of nothingsauce. And sometimes it's just straightaway shitty.

EDIT: It's of course a very influential and important band though.

I don't read this thread in months and I come into a Maiden/Priest argument?

Just what I thought. Anyways, I'm a Maiden fan, never enjoyed any of Priest's albums, only a few songs. The last Maiden albums are all awful, the classic ones are amazing. Powerslave, Killers, Piece of Mind and Seventh Son are my favorites.

Jesus fucking wept. You people. Did some of you get your first metal album in your stocking last xmas?

Sabbath, Maiden, Skyclad, and Manilla Road are all excellent bands that have released stellar, essential material and some duds.

I like black and death metal as much as the next guy, but no way is it better than True, Traditional Metal. Give me Manowar over goddamned Behemoth any day.

You're just an asshole if you don't like this song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go so far to say if you don't like the first three Manowar albums, you don't know shit about real metal.

Though most people that dislike Manowar do so for non-musical reasons.