Controversial opinions on metal

Black sabbath is fucking terrible, ozzy is a TERRIBLE vocalist and I can't listen to them because that. Either way when talking about skill i'm about 99% sure tony iommi has never had a solo with sweep picking in it and none of his solos are "melodic" and any guitarist with 2 years of playing could play their whole catalog. David gilmour is overrated as fuck, I haven't heard anything by pink floyd that didn't bore me to tears, plus this thread is about metal not mainstream pop/rock.

10/10 would rage again

excellent trolling

troll.jpg

That's because aside from selected songs, Iron Maiden ARE the pinnacle of mediocrity.

I thought you were cool, man.
Seriously, that's so fucking wrong...they never really released a perfect album, everything has some filler on it, but even if you don't personally care for them they are undeniably excellent on every level.

Skyclad mostly suck. They have done some ok stuff, but they aren't close to be "good bands".

Everything they did with Martin Walkyier is absolutely 'good band' quality.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIfXVm-7arI&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGvNLH47Q8&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you were cool, man.
Seriously, that's so fucking wrong...they never really released a perfect album, everything has some filler on it, but even if you don't personally care for them they are undeniably excellent on every level.

I agree that he's wrong, but you think they have filler on each album? I can't think of one that I own that I don't love all the way through. The Number of the Beast is pure awesome from start to finish, no filler there. Same goes for Piece of Mind, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and even their newer albums.

You're 100 percent correct they are excellent on every level.

lol @ undeniably excellent on every level. Even though the debut may be my favorite NWOBHM album (well, it's up there with Court In The Act or Volume 1 or whatever at least), y'all fanboys need to get a room.

I agree that he's wrong, but you think they have filler on each album? I can't think of one that I own that I don't love all the way through. The Number of the Beast is pure awesome from start to finish, no filler there. Same goes for Piece of Mind, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and even their newer albums.

You're 100 percent correct they are excellent on every level.
Starting with Number of the Beast:
Gangland
Quest for Fire
Back in the Village
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
I'll give you Seventh Son, that one's pretty tight
Most of No Prayer
Most of Fear of the Dark
Let's not even talk about the Blaze albums
Brave New World is my favorite Maiden album and overall quite wonderful, but The Nomad is undeniably filler, or at least unnecessarily bloated. They also ripped it off from another band (I forget who at the moment).
Most of the second half of Dance of Death
AMOLAD is a testament to solid core songs brought down by bloated, unwieldy songwriting. Everything was longer than it should have been, and at least 3 songs should have been cut.

Starting with Number of the Beast:
Gangland
Quest for Fire
Back in the Village
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
I'll give you Seventh Son, that one's pretty tight
Most of No Prayer
Most of Fear of the Dark
Let's not even talk about the Blaze albums
Brave New World is my favorite Maiden album and overall quite wonderful, but The Nomad is undeniably filler, or at least unnecessarily bloated. They also ripped it off from another band (I forget who at the moment).
Most of the second half of Dance of Death
AMOLAD is a testament to solid core songs brought down by bloated, unwieldy songwriting. Everything was longer than it should have been, and at least 3 songs should have been cut.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I think you couldn't be more wrong, with the exception of the Blaze albums. I think Gangland is one of my favorite maiden songs. Also, in my book AMOLAD is absolute perfection. Not only my favorite Maiden album, but one of the best albums I have ever heard.

I'm digressing a bit here, but if you stop and think about it, it's kind of crazy how people have such polar opposite opinions about the same thing. I mean, what ticks in each person's brain that says "Yup this is awesome!" or "Nope, this sucks!"? I've always wondered that when discussion such as this come up... this could be an interesting topic in and of itself.

Black sabbath is fucking terrible, ozzy is a TERRIBLE vocalist and I can't listen to them because that. Either way when talking about skill i'm about 99% sure tony iommi has never had a solo with sweep picking in it and none of his solos are "melodic" and any guitarist with 2 years of playing could play their whole catalog. David gilmour is overrated as fuck, I haven't heard anything by pink floyd that didn't bore me to tears, plus this thread is about metal not mainstream pop/rock.

Can't stand sweep picking. It's fucking Gay.

Priest owns Maiden when it comes to quality control and intra-album consistency, but I'd still pick Iron Maiden overall. But just barely. Probably just because I like their pre-USPM style, and because it's five near-perfect albums (first five) versus four (the three S's and Painkiller).

Gangland
Quest for Fire
Back in the Village

I don't see how these are any more blatant filler than the weakest moments of many a Judas Priest album. Particularly Gangland and Back in the Village. All are great.

EDIT: While we're on the subject of labeling entire genres, I find myself enjoying death metal on a whole less and less with nearly every passing month. I often feel like I'm going to regress to not enjoying extreme metal at all. Clandestine has recently been stimulating by deathboner, though, and I considered that album to be merely good just months ago.