Controversial opinions on metal

Schwärzung;10467333 said:
No matter how tr00 you are, you can't deny the awesomeness of early CC works like Butchered at Birth or Tomb of the Mutilated. The latter was actually the first metal album I owned on vinyl.

I have said it many times before - there are quality stuff on the first three records or so. However what brings it way down for me is the drumming. Its plain and boring and gives no life to the songs. It rather takes life out of it. Thats why I can never stand to listen to all of "butchered at birth" at once for example. I think they would be alot better with another drummer.

To give an example where the drumming really stands out I would nominate Vomitory. Its nothing special technically. The drummer usually keeps to the standards. However I have rarely heard a drummer that, in some way, incorporates so much "groove" to all the aspects of his drumming. I dont know what it is but to me he always stands out and he makes the songs breathe and always feel fresh.

You forgot their best album tbh, The Bleeding. I laugh at people who hate on CC just because they're popular, particularly because of their earlier discography and even more specifically The Bleeding. There are riffs galore all up in that bitch Thoth Amon would back me up on that too.
THEY THINK THEY KNOW, WHO I AM
ALL THEY KNOW IS I LOVE TO KILL
FACE DOWN, DOWN ON THE GROUND
FIND ME BEFORE ANOTHER IS FOUND

Schwärzung;10467372 said:
THEY THINK THEY KNOW, WHO I AM
ALL THEY KNOW IS I LOVE TO KILL
FACE DOWN, DOWN ON THE GROUND
FIND ME BEFORE ANOTHER IS FOUND
I show this song to anyone who thinks DM is scary.

THEIR ALL DEAD
THEIR ALL DEAD
BY STRANGULATION :)

I love Gorguts but their not that great either :D

umm, did anyone even mention Gorguts? Am i missing something here?

but since you brought them up and all i'll just go ahead and say yes, they're one of the greatest death metal bands of all time. Dont know what your definiton of great is when referring to dm bands, but Gorguts definitely needs to be included in it.

I wouldn't even compare Cannibal Corpse(who im a fan of) or deicide to Gorguts. Not even in the same league. Nothing from Cannibal Corpse is on the same level as a Gorguts album, and im not even going try and compare deicide to them ... my brain wouldn't be able to process such a retarded thought.

but yea, considering how many albums they've sold and how untalented they are, i'd say Deicide is definitely the most overrated dm bands out there.

Most of it actually sucks? Like with a lot of things i'm pretty picky, people think i'm some kind of elitist but i'm not, i guess i just have a small list of things i really like?
If you're not on board with neanderthal "primal" music it's just not gonna swing your way.
Never say never, i'm not a big BDM fan but i do enjoy Skinless.

I pray to Satan that isn't true. I'm seeing them next Wednesday.

Deicide is fucking solid live, especially Steve Asheim. They also plays everything faster, especially the OUTC material. I saw them with Hoffmans, with Suzuki and Santolla, all the 3 shows were brutal and relentless. They also plays a lot from the first album, which is always nice.

Oh I totally agree...However, their other 7 or 8 albums, or whatever the fuck, are sub-par bullshit...They HAD solid material, but that was lonnnng ago. Maybe I shouldve used different wording in my last post: "Deicide has sucked since the late 90's."

The Stench of Redemption is fucking boss, classy death metal. They obviously took some influence from later Vital Remains but didn't repeat the songs over and over. I think the last album was pretty good too, on par with Serpents at least, if not better.

Cannibal Corpse is downright terrible.

And since we are taking about overrated things...Ulver's Bergtatt is an overrated bore.

Cannibal Corpse was incredible, especially Tomb and The Bleeding. About the Bleeding, it's fucking brutal, catchy and totally memorable. I saw CC with Barnes around the release of the album and damn, those songs were done to be played live.

I also like Bloodthirst (another catchy, diverse and brutal album) and their latest Torture.

Ulver's Bergtatt overrated? Dafuq!

First, the album is extremely well written. Every section, vocal part and transition flows very well. The performance is superb.

Also, you can't forget the novelty factor: no one was doing black metal with classical guitars, flutes and clean vocals at the time; Ulver was the starting point for almost a complete subgenre within black metal: Agalloch, Empyrium, October Falls, Borknagar, among others took major influence from that Album. Don't forget that Ulver also was the first extreme metal band doing neofolk. 'Twas a groundbreaking album with a huge influence rampant even today, there's nothing overrated about it.

Gorguts is by no means among the "greatest" death metal bands. They are good, yes, but not near the best. Sure, Obscura was a ripping album, but... I dunno, there's just something to them that really keeps them from being a legend.

Can I say, speaking of Gorguts, that I instantly dislike ANYTHING Colin Marston touches? He's like the poster child of wanky bullshit metal. Arctopus, Krallice, Dysrhythmia, everything is just bleh.

Obscura is hard to listen to and might actually be the most overrated, overworshipped death metal album on this board. It seems like one of those albums people profess their love for but don't actually listen to it.

Hell I'll say I flat out hate it.
Inb4tnbtantrum

I think female vocalists are the future of awesome metal.

In This Moment
Amaranthe
Sister Sin
Xandria
Within Temptation
Eyes Set to Kill
We Are the Fallen
Elis
Luntica
Delain
Otep

The mix of male and female vocals in some of those is simply incredible. I love where metal is going with this.

Jason

I think female vocalists are the future of awesome metal.

In This Moment
Amaranthe
Sister Sin
Xandria
Within Temptation
Eyes Set to Kill
We Are the Fallen
Elis
Luntica
Delain
Otep

The mix of male and female vocals in some of those is simply incredible. I love where metal is going with this.

Jason

Checkout ReVamp with Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever).

Obscura is hard to listen to and might actually be the most overrated, overworshipped death metal album on this board. It seems like one of those albums people profess their love for but don't actually listen to it.

Hell I'll say I flat out hate it.
Inb4tnbtantrum

Last edited by a moderator: