Controversial opinions on metal

That's just one half of it though. And really, listen to Sabbath sometime. They're blues riffs, clean sung vocals, slow and plodding tempos, and not a whole lot of distortion or aggression. They're all formative bands to the sound.

Confession: I'm not a big Zep fan. MUCH bigger on Sabbath. But they're both part of what turned into heavy metal along with bands like Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly.

The fact remains that the only band named out of that group that is actually a proper heavy metal band is Black Sabbath.

Kiss is probably one of the worst bands of all time, seriously.

Yes, but they always get namedropped by influential people within the actual metal scene. Kiss is a typical band for someone like Trey Azagthoth to namedrop. Van Halen is another faggy band that gets a lot of credit.

Led Zeppelin are great. 4 is such a great cd, but they're not a metal band. I hate the entire proto-metal thing or whatever it is.

I can't even get into the Kiss albums that are supposed to be their best and most metallic and etc. Average at best album-wise. Music from The Elder has a large cult following at another forum on which I post, and I have to admit that The Oath is a pretty kickass song.

Old metal like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Kiss, etc etc is all boring junk

3qc53x.jpg

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan. They're my favorite band in fact and I've been listening to them for most of my life. I can agree though that Zeppelin isn't the first metal band. They were highly influential in the development of it, but they're hard rock. Sabbath, in my opinion, is the first. It's in their sound, image, and lyrics.

As for Kiss, yeah, they aren't good at all. They are more about the show and image. But musicianship wise, they weren't really good musicians. Similar to today's rock and pop music...