Controversial opinions on metal

Swans is metal as fuck in terms of their attitude and aesthetic. Michael Gira might not growl and they don't cover shit in blast beats and distorted guitars but pretty much everything they've ever done is as emotionally heavy and dark as anything you'll find in a metalhead's library.

Being metal as fuck in attitude does not make a band metal. By that logic, some folk artists ie Townes Van Zandt would be metal merely for grave lyrics/vocals and minor keys, etc.

I meant to ask clarification whether you meant the new Angel Witch and Prong albums are overrated, or whether you're calling them overrated overall as bands.

Yeah, not much, but I haven't come across a whole lot that really interests me. I do have a few on my wishlist but haven't gotten around to buying those either. Cryptopsy's S/T is probably my favorite right now but I've only listened to it twice in full, so...

I would rank Cryptopsy in the top 10 WORST albums of this year, they haven't abandoned deathcore yet, you have horrible taste.

I disagree dude. C'mon, old ass death metal had breakdowns and Matt's vox are WAY more Brutal and Core. The dude sounds far closer to Pathology than Carnifex. He's just not Worm or whatever the fuck that dude's name is that wasn't Worm.

I also admit that I just love that album to goddamn pieces. I'd happily put it in a playlist with NSV. It's not as good as that album, but it's spiritually right there. Not on my top of the year list, but a way success IMO.

OH SHIT I forgot to mention that Danza IIII is totally top of the year.

I disagree dude. C'mon, old ass death metal had breakdowns and Matt's vox are WAY more Brutal and Core. The dude sounds far closer to Pathology than Carnifex. He's just not Worm or whatever the fuck that dude's name is that wasn't Worm.

I also admit that I just love that album to goddamn pieces. I'd happily put it in a playlist with NSV. It's not as good as that album, but it's spiritually right there. Not on my top of the year list, but a way success IMO.

OH SHIT I forgot to mention that Danza IIII is totally top of the year.

Its better than shitchapel and carnifags but isn't THAT great of an album, nothing really stands out for me.

Coroner is not even close to death metal, and I hear deathcore in the breakdowns and shitty vocals.

My bad re: Coroner, I confused you for someone else in another thread in which you posted.

I don't particularly remember the breakdowns of the album, which isn't to say they aren't present cuz I'm sure they are, but they don't define it. Death metal can shitty vocals too btw.

Its better than shitchapel and carnifags but isn't THAT great of an album, nothing really stands out for me.

I think the problem is that it doesn't have the memorable lead riffs from older albums. All the other shit is there, but it's missing the really gnarly melodies of tracks like Phobophile and Slit Your Guts, so as great as the album is at the time, once it's over you can't remember any of the songs.

I think the problem is that it doesn't have the memorable lead riffs from older albums. All the other shit is there, but it's missing the really gnarly melodies of tracks like Phobophile and Slit Your Guts, so as great as the album is at the time, once it's over you can't remember any of the songs.

Completely different guitarist from back then.

No it's not. Jon Lavasseur was the lead guitarist all through the Vile/Supremacy/Once days, was gone for Unspoken King, came back for the self-titled. That was part of the big deal about the album. Original guitarist and drummer from the glory days, bassist from Neuraxis, and then... the other two guys.

No it's not. Jon Lavasseur was the lead guitarist all through the Vile/Supremacy/Once days, was gone for Unspoken King, came back for the self-titled. That was part of the big deal about the album. Original guitarist and drummer from the glory days, bassist from Neuraxis, and then... the other two guys.

Sounds like Christian Donaldson is the most heard guitarist on the album though...

I've only heard the first four and Death Magic Doom, but of those I'd say nah and put it more than a few steps behind Nightfall. I love the production and it's a good album overall, but I think Edling was low on ideas at that point considering that something like two-thirds the album is made up of leftovers and re-recordings. Not that I listened to his rehearsal demos in 1984, but remove Under the Oak and the album is already just 37 minutes long. A song as excellent as Dark Reflections deserves a proper recording (one of two post-EDM songs worthy of that album imo, the other being Samarithan) but others like The Edge of Heaven and Somewhere in Nowhere don't have any of the majesty of the first two albums.

The cover art looks really awesome in standard black ink on the CD though, tied with King Diamond's Conspiracy for best CD art I think.

Into The Unfathomed Tower man.

Overall out of the "classic" CM albums I would say Ancient Dreams is the weakest, I sometimes feel like a song here or there may drag a bit and some of the riffs start to sound samey sometimes. Tales may just be a bunch of rehashed material but I still think it's awesome though.