Controversial opinions on metal

Fuck I'd need like a huge list of everything that came out this year to start picking my favorites. It really feels like 2012 was a stellar year in metal.

On a serious point, are we going to post up our top albums of 2012 in a dedicated thread or what?

Probably should. Wouldn't hurt to start it now or within a week, this last month is filled with enough meh releases that it can properly let people put the rest of the year into perspective.

It really feels like 2012 was a stellar year in metal.

100% agree on this.

Just off the top of my head I know we had Pathology, Murder Construct, Gaza, Nachtmystium, Dodecahedron, Swans, Cattle Decap, Amenra, Evoken, Necroblaspheme, Ahab, plus like fifty others I can't recall.

Meh, Swans and Evoken are the only two albums you listed there that I care for. Insert some comment about Swans not being metal too etc.

Swans is metal as fuck in terms of their attitude and aesthetic. Michael Gira might not growl and they don't cover shit in blast beats and distorted guitars but pretty much everything they've ever done is as emotionally heavy and dark as anything you'll find in a metalhead's library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, Swans and Evoken are the only two albums you listed there that I care for. Insert some comment about Swans not being metal too etc.

I would say that parts of the title track and a few other songs qualify as metal, but start to finish most of the album is not metal and therefore, it wouldn't qualify for a metal album list. However, it's easily the album of the year.

There hasn't been one metal album from this year that I thought was more than just pretty good, although I keep forgetting to hear the new Prong. Actually, Angel Witch too.

As bands, at their peak?

Are you actually saying Prong is at their peak?

23398945.jpg

There hasn't been one metal album from this year that I thought was more than just pretty good, although I keep forgetting to hear the new Prong. Actually, Angel Witch too.

You must have only listened to a couple then. This year has been stellar.

This year has been absolutely fantastic. I would be surprised if 2013 ends up as good as this year.

Controversial(?): Impaled Nazarene is one of the greatest bandnames in metal.

Are you actually saying Prong is at their peak?

I meant to ask clarification whether you meant the new Angel Witch and Prong albums are overrated, or whether you're calling them overrated overall as bands.

You must have only listened to a couple then. This year has been stellar.

Yeah, not much, but I haven't come across a whole lot that really interests me. I do have a few on my wishlist but haven't gotten around to buying those either. Cryptopsy's S/T is probably my favorite right now but I've only listened to it twice in full, so...