Controversial opinions on metal

The guy who said Vektor are black metal needs some help, seriously; it's not even similar to black/thrash bands, but more of a 'progressive' variant of thrash alas Voivod.

While I think Mayhem's DMDS is one of the best norwegian black metal albums, I think the rest of their discography is a huge piece of crap and they are a big name only for that album and the Euro controversy. I can see what they did on OaC, but I just don't like it.

Burzum's albums are all great to me, but of course I have my favorite ones. From the pre-prison era I think HLTO is the best in every possible term: production, songwriting, variety, concept, performance, etc. From the new ones, I have problems choosing one over another: Belus is more atmospheric and droning, Fallen is more straightforward and sharp, while Umskiptar it's more contemplative and narrative. Still, Glemselens Elv is the best song Varg has written since his return and completely on par with his greatest compositions.

Ah, and that Countess impression has nothing on controversial: they suck.

The pre-prison albums are better because Varg didn't have access to much equipment in side the prison, besides a synthesizer I think. The prison albums are still pretty good considering he was producing it inside a fucking cell.

The pre-prison albums are better because Varg didn't have access to much equipment in side the prison, besides a synthesizer I think. The prison albums are still pretty good considering he was producing it inside a fucking cell.

well if the circumstances had been different and he had access to proper gear I may have liked the albums more but as is I think they are mostly crap and he shoulda kept busy writting articles for nationalist magazines instead of writting music.

Any time you have to say "it's good considering..." that means it's not good. Yes, he had nothing besides a little Casio keyboard, and he used it to create something that sounded awful. The sounds out of that thing are comical and goofy, and it all comes across sounding like something a teenager would do in his bedroom because his parents wouldn't buy him real instruments.

So called "brutal" death metal along the lines of Pathology is repulsive:

Those "vocals" are horrible stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we didn't have -core bands (or nu-metal ten years ago) then shitloads of people today wouldn't be into more legitimate metal. Trend-hopping bands are a critical stepping stone for teenagers to get into good music, regardless of genre.

Much as everyone would like to say otherwise, if you slapped an old Morbid Angel album on for most 14 year olds who up to that point had only been exposed to top 40 radio they'd probably just laugh at it and tell you it sounds like shit. Not all of 'em, but definitely the vast majority.

They might not be good, but all that Hot Topic bullshit is pretty critical for the ol' metal ecosystem.

If we didn't have -core bands (or nu-metal ten years ago) then shitloads of people today wouldn't be into more legitimate metal. Trend-hopping bands are a critical stepping stone for teenagers to get into good music, regardless of genre.

Much as everyone would like to say otherwise, if you slapped an old Morbid Angel album on for most 14 year olds who up to that point had only been exposed to top 40 radio they'd probably just laugh at it and tell you it sounds like shit. Not all of 'em, but definitely the vast majority.

They might not be good, but all that Hot Topic bullshit is pretty critical for the ol' metal ecosystem.

This is actually true. I can say I'm one of those people. I started out liking some old school shit, the big 4, Iron Maiden, etc. Then I got into core stuff since it was the "newest" metal out there. I never stopped liking the old school stuff though....I just added onto it. I eventually started broadening my horizons and discovered so much awesome shit out there that wasn't core. It was a gateway for more extreme music.

This is bullshit. I have never listened to any terrible popular core band to get into metal, in fact, even when I just started listening listening to metal I thought all that shit sounded gay as fuck.

I started listening to metal in elementary school because I liked Poison and Motley Crue at the time. You can't get any gayer that hairbands (-core bands included). There is something to be said for "gateway" bands.
So, Effigy, stop being such an elitist "trve" dildo. No one believes that when you were born you ripped yourself free of your mom's vag clutching a copy of Pierced From Within.
Also, Daudi Bauldurs is pretty fucking terrible. The first time I heard Shevalreq I had to check if it wasn't just a remake with vocals. Belus is the best post prison Burzum, I gotta agree with WAIF here.

I started listening to metal in elementary school because I liked Poison and Motley Crue at the time. You can't get any gayer that hairbands (-core bands included). There is something to be said for "gateway" bands.
So, Effigy, stop being such an elitist "trve" dildo. No one believes that when you were born you ripped yourself free of your mom's vag clutching a copy of Pierced From Within.
Also, Daudi Bauldurs is pretty fucking terrible. The first time I heard Shevalreq I had to check if it wasn't just a remake with vocals. Belus is the best post prison Burzum, I gotta agree with WAIF here.
My "chronology" went like this, first hard rock like Led Zepplin and shit, then to heavy metal like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, then thrash metal like metallica, Megadeth etc, then to death metal like death and morbid angel, then to prog metal like dream theater and opeth, and well now i'm wherever the fuck I am now.

That's pretty similar to me. Actually, insert hair bands before hard rock and that's pretty much the same path I followed. Even before the hair bands I loved music, I liked Michael Jackson and Prince when I was little and ended up watching MTV to watch their videos. Then I saw videos by Motley Crue and Van Halen and I was on my way.

Countess rules, no clue what is wrong with you guys to dislike them so much

I like Countess more for senimental value (I first started listening to them like 15 years ago) then the quality of their music. At the time i thought they were pretty kickass though.

Daubi Baldrs is neither bad nor amazing. It's decent amateur fantasy music, and the following album is great.

Edit: And it's certainly better than most of the post-prison material.

Whats really funny is I didn't even listen to music until I was 9-10 years old, probably because before that all I heard was the shitty country/pop music my mom would play in the car, and then one day I heard ACDC and was amazed, and over a couple years I found out I was destined to be a metalhead... My family was really weirded out in the process to, even playing Metallica in the car they would shit their pants and say i'm turning into like an evil monster or something..

Everytime I heard Daudi Baldrs, I can't help but think of Warcraft II.

Last edited by a moderator: