Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not your fucking son.

Vektor is black metal, theres some thrash influence but they are definitely black metal.

"your have a loooottt of homework to do son"

Maybe you missed English class.. For like 10 years.

I just listened to some Vektor and they definitely are Thrash Metal. They're Thrash with a slight darker sound (kind of like how Slayer is thrash but they also have a bit of death metal like qualities). If you seriously thought Vektor is black metal, you're a fucking dumbass.

here is a list of newer albums that shit all over Time is Up right off the top of my head ...

Vektor - Black Future
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Hexen - State of Insurgency
Hexen - Being and Nothingness
Exmortus - In Hatreds Flame
Witchaven - Terrorstorm
Fueled By Fire - Plunging Into Darkness
Fog of War - Fog of War
Violator - Chemical Assault
the last two Toxic Holocaust albums
...every Warbringer and Skeletonwitch album.

... and while Dekapitator isn't really new, both of their albums also shit all over Time is Up

im pretty sure if i sat down and actually tried to make a list i'd be able to at least find a good 15 to 20 thrash albums(from newer bands) that came out in the past 10 years that can easily top that album.

oh and nothing from fucking dew scented touches Time is Up.

i beg to differ.

I just listened to some Vektor and they definitely are Thrash Metal. They're Thrash with a slight darker sound (kind of like how Slayer is thrash but they also have a bit of death metal like qualities). If you seriously thought Vektor is black metal, you're a fucking dumbass.

Where you ignoring the vocals or something? Or the black metal chords?

.... o man, people like you fucking annoy me to the fullest. Not only are you trying to be some sort of fucking smart ass (on a music forum of all places) but you're just plain out wrong ... and im pretty sure you're the only person who couldnt understand or process my simple fucking statment ... "ones build" man what the fuck are you talking about? :lol:

Not being abrasive man, you're just taking it that way.

Not putting forth any effort here kiddo.

Controversial opinion(not sure if this applies anymore these days) - Mayhem was among the worst of the second wave of black metal acts initial boot-up.

Not putting forth any effort here kiddo.

Controversial opinion(not sure if this applies anymore these days) - Mayhem was among the worst of the second wave of black metal acts initial boot-up.

De Mysteriis dom sathanas is a masterpiece IMO everything else I wouldnt miss if i didnt here again except maybe Deathcrush

Do you brand a band a certain genre due to their vocals and nothing else? Like I said, they're a thrash band with some black metal elements. Go listen to the song Forests of Legend, and listen to the drummer and the guitars, which are clearly thrash metal style.

Even though I don't like much black metal (aside from Vektor) for some reason I really enjoy every Mayhem release. I can see why one would prefer Burzum or Darkthrone but unless that's the full extent of what you mean by "initial boot-up", nah. Their riffcraft is superior to virtually all of their contemporaries and I'm always surprised at how even their newer material manages to sound fairly unlike much else I'm familiar with. And I think I'm the only guy that likes every vocalist they've ever had.

I'll give you the Vektor albums...but nothing else you mentioned tops Havok's Time is up....soild releases from Toxic Holocauast though.

Immaculate's Atheist Crusade bro. I have to admit that Time Is Up is surprisingly well-produced and mature, and a retro-thrash album that actually sounds like a late 80's Bay Area album vs one that merely tries, but 80's Destruction + Realm > 80's Testament + Heathen.

Modern thrash is still pretty worthless on a whole anyways. There are plenty of fifth-tier demo bands from the 80's and early 90's that beat the new stuff in terms of intensity, musicianship, and/or originality.

Examples of "black metal chords" plz. To be perfectly honest I hear about as much black metal in Vektor as I do Voivod, but it's still a minor component. Mostly it's in those melodic tremolo-picked blasty parts that sound fitting in early Emperor, but we're talking 5% of the album max. On a whole it's thoroughly thrash metal.

Burzum albums are hit or miss for me.

Honestly only Filosefem, Det Som Engang Var & Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are held near & dear to my heart.

Aske is completely laughable and the other stuff has some good moments but plenty of bad ones and a few laughable ones as well.

If I had to pick between Mayhem´s - De Mysteriis... and any of burzums work I would go with De Mysteriis but I surely would miss the three albums i stated above.

Burzum albums are hit or miss for me.

Honestly only Filosefem, Det Som Engang Var & Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are held near & dear to my heart.

Aske is completely laughable and the other stuff has some good moments but plenty of bad ones and a few laughable ones as well.

If I had to pick between Mayhem´s - De Mysteriis... and any of burzums work I would go with De Mysteriis but I surely would miss the three albums i stated above.

Nah, you're 100% spot on here. Burzum the album is pretty good, Aske isn't... TERRIBLE, but I never really listen to it except for the fact that it's attached to the self/titled. Every single album he did in prison is fucking awful.

That said, I think his post-prison output is pretty excellent. Belus is good, Fallen is better, and Umskiptar is probably my favorite thing he's done since he stabbed Euronymous. And he's also one of the only artists who did a "let's re-record my old shit" and made it sound better. Depths of Darkness is, IMO, the only Burzum album anyone needs to own (as long as you get Dunkelheit as a standalone mp3 or something).

The guy who said Vektor are black metal needs some help, seriously; it's not even similar to black/thrash bands, but more of a 'progressive' variant of thrash alas Voivod.

While I think Mayhem's DMDS is one of the best norwegian black metal albums, I think the rest of their discography is a huge piece of crap and they are a big name only for that album and the Euro controversy. I can see what they did on OaC, but I just don't like it.

Burzum's albums are all great to me, but of course I have my favorite ones. From the pre-prison era I think HLTO is the best in every possible term: production, songwriting, variety, concept, performance, etc. From the new ones, I have problems choosing one over another: Belus is more atmospheric and droning, Fallen is more straightforward and sharp, while Umskiptar it's more contemplative and narrative. Still, Glemselens Elv is the best song Varg has written since his return and completely on par with his greatest compositions.

Ah, and that Countess impression has nothing on controversial: they suck.

Belus is my favorite Burzum album.

I recognize that Hvis Lysett Tar Oss and Det Som Engang Var are more ambitious, but to me Belus is so consistent and soothing that most time I listen to Burzum I put that one on.

Also, I think Fallen is kind of eh. It might be the production.