Controversial opinions on metal

If you think Mayhem sucks then what do you actually like?

I like my black metal mostly in long compositions with mid tempo (for the most part). Think Burzum, Skogen, Forgotten Wolves, early Satyricon and Ulver, Nokturnal Mortum (Voice of Steel is simply amazing:OMG:), Mgla, Negura Bunget, ColdWorld and so on.

Besides that, Immortal, Gorgoroth and some other norwegian bands.

What 1% of death metal do you like then?

Grave - You'll never see, Alchemist (particulary Spiritech). Does Opeth count? I don't have much more on my comp. Some OSDM is OK, actually. Obituary springs to mind. I used to kind of appreciate Death but I don't know. Nowadays I can't stand it.

... The Acacia Strain, The Red Shore and The Contorionist(although i haven't heard their new one) are probably the only three i like.

I'v never heard anything from Veil of Maya ... might have to check em out.

I like their newest album the most, its really proggy and has the guitarist from periphery, which I don't think you like so, you probably won't like them haha.

Mayhem is overrated. I don't really find DMDS that good really, although I have to say it's pretty original. I can't say that I've heard anything that that sounds alike.

99% of all death metal sucks. I very rarely find anything that seems creative and worthful its time. It just all kind of go together. Sounds bland. I'm not much of a riff guy though save for a few black metal bands. And trust me, I've tried to like it.

:saint:

It's ok. I don't enjoy like 90% of death metal. Death metal is kind of boring.

While we're dissing entire genres, put me down for not really caring much for doom metal. I like a few bands, but in general doom metal is just unpleasant to listen to IMO.

As for deathcore, Thy Art Is Murder and All Shall Perish are my favorites.

Effigy probably isn't even talking about death/doom, since I doubt he prefers the earliest releases from those bands that actually have a fair amount of death metal elements.

Grave - You'll never see, Alchemist (particulary Spiritech). Does Opeth count? I don't have much more on my comp. Some OSDM is OK, actually. Obituary springs to mind. I used to kind of appreciate Death but I don't know. Nowadays I can't stand it.

Sounds like you've never listened to much good death metal.

+1

Doom metal usually bores the fuck outta me but the death/doom bands like my dying bride, paradise lost, katatonia etc are good.

Do you mean you like the early releases from those, i.e. As The Flower Withers, Gothic, etc., or even the latter day releases that lightly incorporate death vocals?

I have a really hard time getting into most of those bands' releases post-2000...especially MDB's For Lies I Sire and A Line of Deathless...I find them repulsive (in a bad way, not like Void of Silence repulsive, who absolutely kick ass).

I don't know how controversial this is, but I just listened to post-prison Burzum for the first time and it is absolutely terrible.