Controversial opinions on metal

Prog rock is just rock with more melody and less of a harder approach, the instruments don't have to be more technical, same goes for prog metal. The same kind of people that would say Dream Theater sucks because they aren't heavy enough and that they actually have progression and most of the time, riffs that aren't just a bunch of palm muting nonsense would of hated Rush and Pink Floyd.

I think that's because PT and Rush didn't sit down and intentionally make "prog". They wanted to make rock but were creative and original enough that they were actually PROGRESSIVE and the label was just kinda foisted upon them.

It's kinda funny that prog is a label at ALL. If it's truly progressive, how can it have a distinct sound? Shouldn't progressive bands be, by definition, challenging institutions and forging new territory. The fact that "prog" bands all sound alike is almost ironic.

Gonna have to disagree with your view on PT, they were always a band that wanted to sound like others (can't count how many people go on their videos and say their stealing riffs from Pink Floyd), they only started playing prog metal because that's what people wanted to hear, so obviously they ARE playing prog just to be prog :)

PT is the definition of being prog for the sake of being prog. Steven Wilson is the human manifestation of the word pretentious on this earth. This is not to say I utterly hate PT...used to be a huge fan of Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun, and still keep a few of their songs on my iPod...but yeah, Steven Wilson's mindset is more along the lines of regressive rock.

Prog rock is just rock with more melody and less of a harder approach, the instruments don't have to be more technical, same goes for prog metal. The same kind of people that would say Dream Theater sucks because they aren't heavy enough and that they actually have progression and most of the time, riffs that aren't just a bunch of palm muting nonsense would of hated Rush and Pink Floyd.

Totally disagree. The reason most prog rock and a lot of prog metal is so boring is because the lack of memorable melodies. It's mostly just wankery for the sake of wankery.

PT is the definition of being prog for the sake of being prog. Steven Wilson is the human manifestation of the word pretentious on this earth. This is not to say I utterly hate PT...used to be a huge fan of Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun, and still keep a few of their songs on my iPod...but yeah, Steven Wilson's mindset is more along the lines of regressive rock.

They're pretentious, and I don't like 'em, but I never got the idea they were doing anything except their own thing. But that's way better than nonsense bands who just sit down and try to ape Dream Theater or Tool and are all "we're progressive!"

EDIT: And "regressive" would be shit like Graveyard or Kadavar or the various "old-school" whatever metal bands that listened to the formative albums of a given genre and then try to REPLICATE that sound. That's backward movement. I'm all for bands trying to refine a sound or really nail a given subgenre, that's fine. But when it's just bland copying of better albums from 10, 20 30 years ago that's just bullshit.

LOL good call. I like a couple but only when it feels like they take the old school sound and add to it in some way. Or for certain sounds where I like 'em so much I just want a million albums of it (see: slam/brutal, post).

Yeah, like it's interesting to see new syntheses of various styles, but straight-up Incantation/Suffocation/Darkthrone/etc. clones...no thanks.

I don't think a truly progressive band can be described or tagged as progressive unless it's by people outside of the band. Leave it up to the journalists.

But what I can say about progressive artists is they tend to truly appreciate myriad styles of music and have a natural sense of sound adoption and integration.

The moment a band starts to define itself is the moment it allows itself to stagnate and regress.

Liturgy is headed toward a creative dearth.

EDIT: And "regressive" would be shit like Graveyard or Kadavar or the various "old-school" whatever metal bands that listened to the formative albums of a given genre and then try to REPLICATE that sound. That's backward movement. I'm all for bands trying to refine a sound or really nail a given subgenre, that's fine. But when it's just bland copying of better albums from 10, 20 30 years ago that's just bullshit.

No, calling Graveyard or Kadavar bland copy cats is bullshit.

Yes I will agree they are heavily influenced from pioneers of that particular style and sound, but I dont believe they are not *copying* those albums for one of the main reasons is that they simply cant. No one can. That shit is untouchable. But they can still use those as a influence in the direction of their sound while still making it their own.

Maybe I gotta give 'em another shot, but damn dude I tried listening to the latest Graveyard and almost fell asleep.

I think Rotting Christ is a band that should get more love. Their entire catalog is pure quality, even Genesis, which was mediocre for their standards. They've done what I wish more bands would do right: Progressed without stagnation and still producing quality music.

Man, Rotting Christ and Moonspell both fail at a skill that's nigh impossible to gauge when you're actually writing music. Their tunes don't have much return value. You can hear the whole album in one listen. There's not much to bring you back to it. But it's catchy and gets you whistling/humming along.

That's why I still buy their stuff.

Liturgy was never even creative to begin with

I'd argue that they were creative at inception, but quickly grew narcissistic and that drove them into self-parody.

By the way, I wrote a manifesto.

Enslaved <3

Well yeah, duh. But they already get their love.

Man, Rotting Christ and Moonspell both fail at a skill that's nigh impossible to gauge when you're actually writing music. Their tunes don't have much return value. You can hear the whole album in one listen. There's not much to bring you back to it. But it's catchy and gets you whistling/humming along.

I'd argue that they were creative at inception, but quickly grew narcissistic and that drove them into self-parody.

By the way, I wrote a manifesto.

I really disagree. Everything they've put out has a high return value for me. Well, not Moonspell. They just bore the fuck out of me. But Rotting Christ keeps everything feeling new while still maintaining their style and melody, and it never feels like it meshes together too much.

"I Wrote A Manifesto" sounds like a deathcore band name.