Controversial opinions on metal

Okay let me start of by saying you are right, he thinks all metal is shit, and takes no musical skill compared to the crap he listens to, (mostly ska and bands like 311 I believe) and thinks it takes no talent to do metal vocals, and of course he says that since he can't understand what they are saying, he thinks its stupid and that all of the bands he listens to have like you said "deep lyrical content" when IMO most of it is fucking retarded.

He does not think its "cool" to smoke weed every day, he's just a pothead, same with me, we love weed for what it is, and back in high school he was actually avoided by people for doing drugs.

He is 19.

Probably my biggest "gear grinder" is when people just write off Death Metal as complete shit, without ever actually giving it a good listen. Too bad 99% of society is like that... but whatever, fuck them.

Regarding Tool, I used to listen to them every once in a while, but I could never get into them. They're pretty shitty.... I think A Perfect Circle has some okay stuff, though.

I actually really like Tool, I probably never would of got into them if it weren't for them being the only "metal" band my cousin will listen to.

And what I even more than people that instantly call any type of extreme metal as shit or "just a bunch of noise" is when people refer to all types of metal as "emo" or "screamo", just the other day someone on COD called me emo for listening to Summoning... Screamo is more like poppy melodic hardcore, which is NOT metal, fucking ignorant people.

Tool is fucking awesome, fuck the haters. Overhyped? Yes. But awesome nonetheless.

I do understand and agree about the whole fellating Maynard nonsense. Whatever, those people are fucktards. But that bullshit is wherever you go, and with a lot of fucking bands, so I really dont give a fuck.

Tools albums are lackluster and just plain boring.

Their live shows are/were? great.

I saw them on tour with meshuggah and some gay nu-metal opening band.

Well that show made me really want to get into tool but then I popped in their CD´s and I was like ... NOPE! still boring as fuck!

TooL 'aenima is a great album. Despite that I might prefere APC 'mer de noms'.

On that, I must disagree. I've always felt that outside of Lateralus, they didn't take enough time to explore all their musical avenues because they were writing in pop structures.

The easter egg on 10,000 Days is fucking incredible.

Tool is a fine band, the issue is that they're like Radiohead in that their fans are fucking insufferable. They're mostly holier-than-thou douches who barely know more than a half dozen or so of their most popular tracks but ALWAYS bring them up because of their reputation as being really technical/intelligent.

Generally speaking the instant someone shits on metal and uses Tool or Radiohead as their counterargument I know I'm dealing with someone whose head is far enough up their own ass that they could re-eat their lunch before it gets a chance to digest.

Tool is like 80% filler. A Perfect Circle is a superior project.

Got it backwards imo.

Tool is a fine band, the issue is that they're like Radiohead in that their fans are fucking insufferable. They're mostly holier-than-thou douches who barely know more than a half dozen or so of their most popular tracks but ALWAYS bring them up because of their reputation as being really technical/intelligent.

This applies to so many metal bands worshiped among the internet in-crowd.

The easter egg on 10,000 Days is fucking incredible.

Generally speaking the instant someone shits on metal and uses Tool or Radiohead as their counterargument I know I'm dealing with someone whose head is far enough up their own ass that they could re-eat their lunch before it gets a chance to digest.

LOL at anyone thinking TOOL is technical :D