Controversial opinions on metal

TooL 'aenima is a great album. Despite that I might prefere APC 'mer de noms'.

I prefer 13th Step hands down.

Got it backwards imo.

Tool is one of the few bands who have the dubious distinction of releasing their best songs. The first time I heard Schism (for example) I was impressed. As I delved into the discography, I found there was little else there that I could enjoy.

On the other hand, after having heard Weak and Powerless, I delved into the APC discography and found that was not even close to their best song.

A lot of OSDM is incredibly boring as well.

Tool is one of the few bands who have the dubious distinction of releasing their best songs. The first time I heard Schism (for example) I was impressed. As I delved into the discography, I found there was little else there that I could enjoy.

On the other hand, after having heard Weak and Powerless, I delved into the APC discography and found that was not even close to their best song.

I had heard little from either on the radio so that didn't have much effect on me. All I know is that I listened to Thirteenth Step recently and was incredibly underwhelmed. I don't enjoy Tool because of their uber-progressive compositional skills or whatever it is that fanboys laud, but APC feels dumbed-down with a few added layers of violins and production gloss in a failed attempt to compensate. It's kind of like the guy that thinks he's really smart and above everyone else and has to masturbate to himself to sell that idea, vs the guy that thinks he's really emotionally in tune with the world and doesn't need to actually do anything because he's so fucking understanding. The latter is much more pretentious imo. Tool is just nerdy.

You like Nile bro.

EDIT: I was going to go internet-stalker and comment on other bands on your LastFM profile, but somehow you've managed to get a lot of hot Hispanic women to comment on your profile, so you're obviously doing something right.

Huge fan of Lateralus- its gotta be one of my top 10 albums. The rest of their catalog (including APC) is good, but nothing particularly noteworthy.

You like Nile bro.

EDIT: I was going to go internet-stalker and comment on other bands on your LastFM profile, but somehow you've managed to get a lot of hot Hispanic women to comment on your profile, so you're obviously doing something right.

What about Nile?

Well, I can't tell if you're attempting to be insulting or to be funny.

Obviously he thinks Nile fans are tools.

I would say anyone who takes the fanboy thing to seriously or to far with any band is a tool : See all the people named fucking "Metallifan" on this site, those are IMO complete fucking tools.

The Nile thing was supposed to be insulting. The rest of my post was serious.

Well I fail to understand how liking Nile makes me a tool.

To correct what I posted earlier, I should have said that I personally don't like Tool, but what people like is their deal. Move the fuck on, in other words

LOL at anyone thinking TOOL is technical :D

They're not exactly simple. There are a lot of shifting time sigs and keys, so from a music theory standpoint it can be kinda interesting, while still somehow managing to keep things sounding "pop" at times. It's easy to have arpeggios and mountains of flourishes that SOUND difficult, it's another animal to pass off unconventional structure as standard songwriting.

I'm not a huge Tool fan, I just think they're good at what they do but the PITA is how many people hold them up like the pinnacle of creative/progressive heavy music. :bah:

Well I fail to understand how liking Nile makes me a tool.

To correct what I posted earlier, I should have said that I personally don't like Tool, but what people like is their deal. Move the fuck on, in other words

Ok, that changes the meaning of what you said drastically.

btw, I have a feeling that Nile fans are pretty decent people overall. I remember eating outside of an In-N-Out one time, and this pasty longhaired nerdy metalhead was going on and on about how Nile was, like, death metal, but before you discount them, they, like, sound Middle-Eastern and shit, and are so fucking mindblowing man, and etcetc to his not-outwardly-metal-loving friend. He was passionate in his appreciation for the band and simply wanted to spread the word. Good on your kind, I say.

Nile are fucking awesome.

I haven't listened to much Tool, but whatever i've heard has been pretty mediocre at best, but then again, i haven't really sat there and listened through one of their albums. Which of their albums would you guys say is their best?

They're all similar enough they can be kinda interchangable to be honest.
Dont really mean that in a negative way though.