Controversial opinions on metal

They're all similar enough they can be kinda interchangable to be honest.
Dont really mean that in a negative way though.

They're not exactly simple. There are a lot of shifting time sigs and keys, so from a music theory standpoint it can be kinda interesting, while still somehow managing to keep things sounding "pop" at times. It's easy to have arpeggios and mountains of flourishes that SOUND difficult, it's another animal to pass off unconventional structure as standard songwriting.

I'm not a huge Tool fan, I just think they're good at what they do but the PITA is how many people hold them up like the pinnacle of creative/progressive heavy music. :bah:

Maybe to an average listener/musician they might seem complex but when I think of technical I think about bands like Spiral Architect. Faster, more complex, crazy time signature changes.....

Tool is just full of fail

Using Spiral Architect as a standard by which other bands are measured for their technical abilities is kind of ridiculous tbh.

Maybe to an average listener/musician they might seem complex but when I think of technical I think about bands like Spiral Architect. Faster, more complex, crazy time signature changes.....

Tool is just full of fail

Dude that's like saying the fastest guy in the NFL combine is a slow little bitch because Usain Bolt would blast past him. Obviously there's always a band that'll be faster with more complexity.

Also for the record Spiral is just wanky bullshit. It's ALL technicality without giving a fuck about writing songs that have any cohesion to them. Might as well use Behold... the Arctopus if all you care about is how many different scale types the musicians know. :lol:

Dude that's like saying the fastest guy in the NFL combine is a slow little bitch because Usain Bolt would blast past him. Obviously there's always a band that'll be faster with more complexity.

Also for the record Spiral is just wanky bullshit. It's ALL technicality without giving a fuck about writing songs that have any cohesion to them. Might as well use Behold... the Arctopus if all you care about is how many different scale types the musicians know. :lol:

From what I've seen, 90% of the community listens to rap/pop therefore most people don't even know what "technicality" really means, which metal, classical music, jazz, etc are somewhat known for.

You can call them what you want but I would still listen to either of those bands all day before listenning to Stool. uups i mean tool

Well that's your opinion man, I doubt anyone here gives fuck about your shitty opinion.

Instead of insulting the fans/audience of the band why don't you give a reason to hate them that actually makes sense?

Well that's your opinion man, I doubt anyone here gives fuck about your shitty opinion.

Instead of insulting the fans/audience of the band why don't you give a reason to hate them that actually makes sense?

You say that as if anyone cares about yours.

You mean a reason other then being boring as fuck and mediocre in their best moments?

And I never insulted their fans. Get your shit straight braniac

You can call them what you want but I would still listen to either of those bands all day before listenning to Stool. uups i mean tool

Hey Effigy. Remember how I said sometimes older guys will dismiss the shit younger dudes say? This is a fine example. This post is the kind of thing I expect a 12 year old to write, all proud of himself for thinking of "stool".

Truth there. It's like the internet metal culture has this underbelly of dumb shits who fight to the teeth that they don't like ANYTHING that's not underground and "trve".

If you can find a t-shirt from the band at the mall, these idiots will screech and howl how much they suck. Period.